Why are models so thin? Watch

Sheldor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Becky15)
It makes me feel like a mutant or something, I'm 5'10 (actually closer to 5'11" but ashamed of it) and I'm a size 4 but I'm also In actual fact a real human being
Aww, why would you be ashamed of being tall, I'd love it! I'm so reliant on other people in supermarkets. I think people just need to accept that there all kinds of heathy sizes and shapes, which is starting to happen now since everyone is getting sick of all the judging. Do you find it hard to get clothes that fit you? (I have a friend your height that's a size 6 and she struggles in some shops)

Posted from TSR Mobile
yepyepyep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
Get a room you two!
U jel?
Becky15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sheldor)
Aww, why would you be ashamed of being tall, I'd love it! I'm so reliant on other people in supermarkets. I think people just need to accept that there all kinds of heathy sizes and shapes, which is starting to happen now since everyone is getting sick of all the judging. Do you find it hard to get clothes that fit you? (I have a friend your height that's a size 6 and she struggles in some shops)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Each to their own isn't it, whatever makes people happy! I hate clothes hunting so much most places don't even stock a 4 which angers me but I can understand if not many adults are that size.
JordanR
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
Yes there is! What about ecto and endo body shapes? My entire family is skinny, especially my brother and my dad. They eat like crazy but are both gangly beanpoles. When I was younger I literally had to force feed myself extra meals to even gain a couple of pounds because I was too skinny. Yet my housemate at uni is a size 12 and eats healthier than I do and is on the university crosscountry team yet her body stays the same.

Girls inherit body shapes from their mother and this dictates where fat is stored
All the ecto endo stuff is pseudoscience. Literally. Even says so on the Wikipedia page for somatotypes.
HopefulMidwife
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Economi)
Well it's literally the reason.. I wouldn't say a thin body isn't a nice canvas. Also, a thin body is easy to duplicate, as in most thin people's body look quite similar, wheras people who're a bit larger are much more different from eachother. Having alot of people who look similar in the clothes would help to keep a theme.
Oh no, I didn't mean that you were wrong, just that I don't buy that official reason.

I don't think that a thin body isn't a nice canvas, perse, but if that thin body is lacking in curves and is THIN as opposed to SLIM, then I don't think it is.
JordanR
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rainbow.panda)
I beg to differ. Ever since I was born my weight has always been on the lower end of healthy and I've also been underweight at times, but there's nothing wrong with me. I'm now a size 6 and 101lbs, I never do any exercise and eat whatever I want. I know other people who are exactly the same.

(Original post by Caits7)
I definitely don't condone being model thin and agree that nobody is born like that, but what gets me is when people say that skinny girls aren't "real girls". It's bad if you starve yourself to get that body but if you're born thin, there's really not a lot you can do about it. To my dismay, my BMI has never exceeded 19 and believe me, I've tried to raise that number many times for bigger boobs/bum but it's just not how I'm built. :/

(Original post by Vikki1805)
She eats a lot and quite often.

She's very tall and just has a very slim frame.

I agree that yes, models who purge to stay thin etc aren't 'normal'.

But people who are 'thin' are still normal people.

I see your points though, that yes the media do seem to show women who are extremely thin and very tall, rather than a woman who an average UK size. I don't disagree with that, I just don't think calling thin girls abnormal/not actual people is the right way to go about it.

I enjoy food too much to care though. :coma:

lol. Love how all the rebuttals to what I said are of the form 'yeah well I/I know someone who never tracks calories consistently over a long period of time while knowing what my maintenance calories are'

http://examine.com/faq/does-metaboli...wo-people.html

Here are eight citations of peer reviewed scientific studies that say the opposite and back me up.
Caits7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JordanR)
lol. Love how all the rebuttals to what I said are of the form 'yeah well I/I know someone who never tracks calories consistently over a long period of time while knowing what my maintenance calories are'

Here are eight citations of peer reviewed scientific studies that say the opposite and back me up.
I genuinely believe my sister is one of these exceptions, she is extremely thin to the extent of these supermodels and it really gets her down, she eats the same amount as me and my siblings and is considerably thinner than both my parents and fairly thinner than me. I don't understand though, surely if it were as simple as this skinny girls would have less of a hard time putting on weight?
JordanR
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I genuinely believe my sister is one of these exceptions, she is extremely thin to the extent of these supermodels and it really gets her down, she eats the same amount as me and my siblings and is considerably thinner than both my parents and fairly thinner than me. I don't understand though, surely if it were as simple as this skinny girls would have less of a hard time putting on weight?
I'm sure your anecdote trumps these studies

People are just horrible at telling themselves (and otherw) what they eat. Actual caloric intake and reported caloric intake vary hugely: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/1454084/

Your body is not a thermodynamic anomaly, nor is anyone else's. eat more to gain weight. Do you like milk? Drink 4 pints of whole milk a day for a month; see if there's no weight gain then.

I was deathly skinny (10 stone at 6'4") for years until I educated myself, tracked all my calories, and consistently ate above maintenance level. Now I'm a normal weight and am even reasonably muscular.
Caits7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm sure your anecdote trumps these studies

People are just horrible at telling themselves (and otherw) what they eat. Actual caloric intake and reported caloric intake vary hugely: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/1454084/

Your body is not a thermodynamic anomaly, nor is anyone else's. eat more to gain weight. Do you like milk? Drink 4 pints of whole milk a day for a month; see if there's no weight gain then.

I was deathly skinny (10 stone at 6'4") for years until I educated myself, tracked all my calories, and consistently ate above maintenance level. Now I'm a normal weight and am even reasonably muscular.
Oh I'm not saying it trumps it, just that I don't understand how they don't correlate ^_^
Maybe that's the way to go, I eat a lot but its not always regular and it's very, very varied. Also I'll try drinking more milk, thanks!
JordanR
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh I'm not saying it trumps it, just that I don't understand how they don't correlate ^_^
Maybe that's the way to go, I eat a lot but its not always regular and it's very, very varied. Also I'll try drinking more milk, thanks!
A few things to do:

Figure out your TDEE

Buy a set of scales

Weigh all your food when possibly

Track your calorie intake every day (if you have a smartphone the myfitnesspal app is fantastic, if not just write it down)

Aim to eat 500 calories over your TDEE every day

This should yield roughly 1lb of weight gain per week. Works best if combined with a high protein diet and some form of resistance training
Becky15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A few things to do:

Figure out your TDEE

Buy a set of scales

Weigh all your food when possibly

Track your calorie intake every day (if you have a smartphone the myfitnesspal app is fantastic, if not just write it down)

Aim to eat 500 calories over your TDEE every day

This should yield roughly 1lb of weight gain per week. Works best if combined with a high protein diet and some form of resistance training

Whilst in hospital my first and second time with 'anorexia' this was part of their dietary plan for me 'eat 500 extra calories a day and gain 1lb' eventually done it under their watchful eye and I gained no weight, the Drs said its trial and error with this as it doesn't work for a lot of people due to metabolism, family, body type etc.
rainbow.panda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

You can quote studies all you want but I know my body better than anybody else :rolleyes: get over yourself.
JordanR
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can quote studies all you want but I know my body better than anybody else :rolleyes: get over yourself.
"I am a special snowflake and screw science"

If you'd just said that you were unwilling to change your view based on any form of evidence at the start then it'd have saved time
rainbow.panda
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"I am a special snowflake and screw science"

If you'd just said that you were unwilling to change your view based on any form of evidence at the start then it'd have saved time
Even if I eat as much as I can (without making myself sick of course) I never gain a pound in weight. That's how it is. Like I said, I know my body better than anyone else, especially people who have never met me.
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because a lot of fashion designers are homosexual and prefer androgynous/boyish frames on women.
JordanR
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Even if I eat as much as I can (without making myself sick of course) I never gain a pound in weight. That's how it is. Like I said, I know my body better than anyone else, especially people who have never met me.

please submit your body to science so you can win a nobel prize

you're just not eating as much as you think you are for a long period of time.

I see no mention of calorie counting, weighing of foods, calculations of TDEE, tracking weight accurately over a few months.
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You have a high metabolism, consider yourself lucky tbh
Becky15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
please submit your body to science so you can win a nobel prize

you're just not eating as much as you think you are for a long period of time.

I see no mention of calorie counting, weighing of foods, calculations of TDEE, tracking weight accurately over a few months.

I feel like you've decided to ignore my reply saying that that isn't the case for everyone?!
Jabberwox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The OP did not mean that skinny people were not 'real' people. They meant that the clothes are not being displayed on the average-sized girl.
JordanR
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Becky15)
I feel like you've decided to ignore my reply saying that that isn't the case for everyone?!
because it's an anecdote and not worthy of being replied to, since it brings nothing to the argument. Give me some actual science that shows this is the case and I'll gladly write out a reply to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (54)
98.18%
No (1)
1.82%

Watched Threads