Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everybody

At as level this year i got
    Physics-C
    Biology-A
    Chemistry-A
    Maths-A
    I was wondering are my grades good enough?
    for gcse i got
    Additional Science- A*A*
    Core science-A
    Maths-A
    Eng Lang-A
    End Lit-A
    French-B
    Citizenship-B
    Stats-B
    RE-B
    Drama-C
    Add Maths-E
    FSMQ-B
    If i drop physics should i resit a paper to get a B?
    I got 612.5 in my ukcat which is bad
    would i be good enough to apply to a ukcat uni?
    i want to apply to kings queens mary, Birmingham and Bristol

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _FDarr13)
    Biology: B
    Chemistry: C
    Geography: C
    PE: D
    General Studies: E

Do I have a realistic chance of even getting an offer, regardless of whether I manage to pull my grades up to As?
    I literally got the exact same grades as you for my subjects! and I don't know if they'll accept it for dentistry but my plan is that ill apply this year to 3 unis with low grade boundaries and two unis doing biomedical science and see if I get any offers. Then hopefully get my A's by the end of next year and then take a gap year and then get into dentistry that way, itll also give me more time to get more work experience etc, maybe u could do the same sort of thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMelonLord)
    Ah could you go into more detail how a gap year is better, if you don't mind?
    if you take a gap year basically you need to make sure that you get your A's by the end of your second year! once you have your A's then you apply to ucas and apply for dentistry, you'll have your exact grades so theyre more likely to give you an offer because they will be actual grades and not predicted grades! Then during your gap year you can learn how to drive and get that out the way, you can get a job to save up for uni, you can doo loads and loads of work experience, in dental practices in hospitals (you will be 18 then so it will be allowed) and charity work etc etc, and build up a good firm personal statement comprising of all of these things, don't give them any reason to reject you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SS19ovoxo)
    would I still be able to get an offer for dentistry even though I'm planning to repeat my AS-level year, I got BBBC and I needed AAAB for Kings, Queen Mary's etc someone please reply! xo
    Don't you dare resit your year!!!! are you crazy, have you lost your mind, dental university don't consider people who do a levels over 3 years!! you've got fine grades, just resit a few modules here and there and bring your grades up to A's with your A2 year!! dontt resit a year, theres people out there who have D's and C's be grateful you got B's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xeen44)
    So friggin depressed after the results day .Didn't expect my parents to be so supportive though , its the second time i repeated a/s and i just dont get what the examiner actually wants from our answers i got an E for chem n bio and a U AGAIN for physics ! If anyone could help me out n give me a few advices and tips on how to answer questions , revision, etc id be really thankful . Does it have anything to do with the fact that i get nervous ( A LLLLLOOOOOOTTTT) before every exams , the fear of failing actually made me fail i wanted to be a dentist too, i just love how dentistry is like a mixture of arts n science . But then my friggin a/s results is the wall amd a biiiiiiiiiggg one
    Awww sweetheart that's so cute! okay one thing you need to do, is don't be nervous, roll into your exams like a boss! just stride in and think its one of your class tests or something, and just don't be nervous don't take it as the real exam! obviously don't be too laid back but don't be too over the top either with nerves!! im doing dentistry too, well I hope to and I didn't do very well at As either I got CBDD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99dm04)
    I got

Psychology: B (retake 1 module)
    Chemistry: B
    Maths: C (retake S1 and C2)
    Biology: D (retake all of bio AS??!?!)

and the retakes would be alongside A2 examinations next year...

any advice would be appreciated!!!
    Give me the breakdown of your individual modules.. what did u get in C1, C2 stats etc, i'll help you out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatimabano)
    Awww sweetheart that's so cute! okay one thing you need to do, is don't be nervous, roll into your exams like a boss! just stride in and think its one of your class tests or something, and just don't be nervous don't take it as the real exam! obviously don't be too laid back but don't be too over the top either with nerves!! im doing dentistry too, well I hope to and I didn't do very well at As either I got CBDD

Gosh we are in the same boat aren't we thinking of repeating are you? Im not sure if to di aS or a2 or what units to choose either :/ so messed up

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh maybee you should resit your AS year and then apply to unis that accept resit candidates? Or you could retake everything during A2 but that would make it merely impossible for you to get your A's I feel sorry for you, but if your sooo soo passionate for dentistry like I am then I suggest you apply for biomedical science and then go into dentistry that way?

ReputationRep:
    Don't you dare resit your year!!!! are you crazy, have you lost your mind, dental university don't consider people who do a levels over 3 years!! you've got fine grades, just resit a few modules here and there and bring your grades up to A's with your A2 year!! dontt resit a year, theres people out there who have D's and C's be grateful you got B's

dont kings only accept AAAa not AAAb?

ReputationRep:
    Give me the breakdown of your individual modules.. what did u get in C1, C2 stats etc, i'll help you out
    hey thanks - but I've decided that I'm going to study neuroscience for 3 years and apply to do medicine as a graduate degree because that is what I actually REALLYY want to do, I've realised it's more of my parents dream to do dentistry.... I know i'm going to have to work A LOT harder to get into medicine as a graduate but that is something i am willing to put 110% into

Good Luck with what you are doing!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DENTMAN)
    Hey everybody

At as level this year i got
    Physics-C
    Biology-A
    Chemistry-A
    Maths-A
    I was wondering are my grades good enough?
    for gcse i got
    Additional Science- A*A*
    Core science-A
    Maths-A
    Eng Lang-A
    End Lit-A
    French-B
    Citizenship-B
    Stats-B
    RE-B
    Drama-C
    Add Maths-E
    FSMQ-B
    If i drop physics should i resit a paper to get a B?
    I got 612.5 in my ukcat which is bad
    would i be good enough to apply to a ukcat uni?
    i want to apply to kings queens mary, Birmingham and Bristol

Thanks
    Have a look at the entry requirements that can be found here , if you're not resitting any physics modules look out for the universities that specify and A or B in the dropped AS module as you wont be able to apply there. Regarding your GCSEs you appear to have A/A* in all the ones that are generally specified to be at a certain grade

Well Birmingham and Bristol don't use the UKCAT so that's fine and I'm not sure how kings and queen mary use it so I can't really help with that sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orange.bananna)
    When choosing which dental schools to apply to make sure you pick unis that are happy with a c in the 4th AS. Also just double check the GCSE requirements as some want a specific grade in a specific subjects such as English, Maths and Science - should be fine, just double check.

What grades did you get? Do you know where you went wrong/how you could improve?

What grades you're predicted are all dependant on what your teachers think. Do you think you can get your grades up to 3As. Remember if you were to be unsuccessful this year there is always the opportunity of applying with your grades next year

I'd suggest you didn't lie on your personal statement. Is there any way you can do some work experience before the 15th of Oct? A key part of the PS is reflecting on what you've learnt/seen and why you want to be a dentist - all of which come from your work experience.

If this is the second time you have done your ASs, you need to really think about whether you're capable of doing Dentistry. It's not just a case of getting 3As to get in, you also need to be able to pass each year once you're there. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.

In terms of improving your grades, have you thought about some relaxation techniques so you wont be so nervous? Or try changing your revision strategies
    *to be honest i slacked all the time and started revising at March which was late and im doing btec now its similar to AS*

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I'm predicted AABB, B in chemistry , so I know universities will reject me. I'm probably going to take a gap year too, providing I get an A for chemistry at the end of A level. I'm still a bit unsure about the application process after taking a gap year.

1. Do universities still look at your AS grades, even when you apply with your end of A2 grades?
    2. If you didn't apply to dentistry before the gap year (I'm going to apply for biomedical materials this year incase I get the B in chemistry) do the universities look down on your application for dentistry?

Please help

ReputationRep:
    Hello again,

I completed my UKCAT and got an average of 660. My AS grades were: A in Chemistry, B in Economics/Biology/Mathematics (2/3 marks off an A in Biology and Maths) and a D in Thinking Skills. Let's say I have been predicted 3 A's and that I have written a good personal statement. From what I have achieved so far, how good are my chances of getting into any dental university in the UK?

I wanted to ask, do universities have cut-off points for UKCAT? I know for medicine they do, but I have been told numerous times that they look at the overall application rather than one part of it. Is 660 even a good mark? I don't know how well the rest of the world did this year so a rough yes/no answer would do. Is it above the average mark?

ReputationRep:
    aha I'm in the exact same situation as you anonymax, same subjects same grades. With that Ukcat you could definitely apply to Sheffield as it is an above average mark. I'd avoid Glasgow and maybe Newcastle which definitely have cut off marks if your not sure if that score isn't good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaadi Baba)
    aha I'm in the exact same situation as you anonymax, same subjects same grades. With that Ukcat you could definitely apply to Sheffield as it is an above average mark. I'd avoid Glasgow and maybe Newcastle which definitely have cut off marks if your not sure if that score isn't good enough.
    Thanks for the quick reply Shaadi Baba! Do you know anything else about the other universities? What other universities could I apply where I have a good chance of getting into, other than the one's you mentioned.

Could I also know how many places each university offers and how many applications they receive for dentistry alone? I cannot find all of them as some are just hiding the info when I search their dentistry homepage.

My choices are King's College London, Glasgow, Dundee, Leeds and a fifth one - Glasgow for Biochemistry as a backup plan. Are these the right choices? I know King's may be a big challenge but I always wanted to go there and who knows I may be fortunate and may get in. So I picked two good ones and two 'easy' ones. Please share your tips and advice.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Just did my UKCAT and it was far from perfect. Here are my stats:

15A*s at GCSE
    AS: AAAACC (Bio, chem, german, punjabi, GS and physics)
    UKCAT: 602.5 VERY VERY VERY disappointed.

Is there any point applying this year?

Edit - predicted grade: A*AAA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymax)
    Thanks for the quick reply Shaadi Baba! Do you know anything else about the other universities? What other universities could I apply where I have a good chance of getting into, other than the one's you mentioned.

Could I also know how many places each university offers and how many applications they receive for dentistry alone? I cannot find all of them as some are just hiding the info when I search their dentistry homepage.

My choices are King's College London, Glasgow, Dundee, Leeds and a fifth one - Glasgow for Biochemistry as a backup plan. Are these the right choices? I know King's may be a big challenge but I always wanted to go there and who knows I may be fortunate and may get in. So I picked two good ones and two 'easy' ones. Please share your tips and advice.

Thanks!
    Liverpool, Bristol, Sheffield don't put much emphasis on AS grades so they could be really good choices for you if you think your grades aren't good enough. Dundee look at AS in combination with your predicted grades whereas Leeds don't.

Glasgow actually rank applications in Ukcat score order and if you're from England, where only 14 places are available, then it might be abit risky applying there.

I suggest you consider Liverpool and Birmingham (if you meet there GCSE requirements) and apply there for sure along with Leeds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello again,

I would like to know where else I can study dentistry, aside from the UK. I heard that I can study in Spain, specifically in Valencia. Poland, Malta, Australia and Sweden are a few other countries I heard too. Are there any other places that I missed?

So what I wanted to know is where is a great place to study other than the UK? Not only would I like to know what student life is, but also how well do they teach and could I become the same qualified dentist as someone who has graduated from a dental uni in the UK? Could I work in the UK after I have graduated elsewhere in the world? Tell me more about the fees, the competition, entrance exams and any language barriers I would have to face. EVERYTHING!

Your help would be most appreciated!
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Could someone please reply to my previous message, no has answered it!

I would also like to find out about something else. I am a Bulgarian citizen with a dual nationality Russian. I have lived outside of the EU all my life, but only going to Bulgaria during the summer.

I will most likely pay international fees, but will I be labelled as an EU or international student?

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.