Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davelittle)
    I think from your reply it is fair to say you have realised you are wrong!
    Couldn't put it better myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Couldn't put it better myself!
    Got there in the end!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asphyxia)
    LONDON school of economics... Nightlife in London doesn't suck haha
    Obviously the nightlife in London doesn't suck, but I do think being a student in London is very different to being a student elsewhere. The nightlife is much more expensive, and you're a lot further away from the main clubbing areas than most other city universities. As a result, students probably go out a bit less than they would elsewhere, and it's a bit less spontaneous. Students tend to spend more time partying in halls/shared houses in my experience. Not that that's a bad thing neccessarily!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    Obviously the nightlife in London doesn't suck, but I do think being a student in London is very different to being a student elsewhere. The nightlife is much more expensive, and you're a lot further away from the main clubbing areas than most other city universities. As a result, students probably go out a bit less than they would elsewhere, and it's a bit less spontaneous. Students tend to spend more time partying in halls/shared houses in my experience. Not that that's a bad thing neccessarily!
    I honestly don't know, I don't live in England. I'd be more than delighted to be in London though! I have friends at UCL that say nightlife is great so I guess at LSE it shouldn't be that different. Intercollegiate halls and that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandem2k11)
    Had an AAB offer from Nottingham for Politics

ive got 2A*A so i dunno what to do, thats like oxford/lse level of grades

any advice?
    Hey. I've read most of the replies on this thread.

And it looks like you don't think you will be completely happy going to Nottingham.
    I really would go for adjustment, someone mentioned Durham has places for your course still, and that is a really good university.

If you can't find a place through adjustment. You have to think, do you want to go to uni straight away or do would you be okay having a gap year? What would you do during this gap year, do you have a job? Could you get more experience? Will you do more A-levels? etc.

It looks like you want to got to Oxbridge. However even with your amazing results you might not get in. Are you any good with interviews? Have you ever had an academic one before?

Lastly Nottingham is a decent uni. It has a good rep, nightlife and it must have been your firm for a reason right?

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I was really looking forward to Notts nightlife and I love the campus and city
    but it'd feel like im wasting this grades almost if i didnt at least try

such a hard decision dunno how im gonna do it. Also for Oxbridge/LSE, would the fact ive already got grades achieved higher than what they ask for help me significantly or not at all? Trying to ascertain my chances of success

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenbowes)
    I had an offer for AAB for Leeds and got A*AA and A* in gen stud, I cancelled for other reasons, reapplied this year but still did not get into Oxford, however I did get into UCL, Durham and Bristol so it's worked out much better for me. I'd say if there are a few unis you're more interested in than Nottingham then reapply next year, but if you're just thinking you could go to Oxbridge it probably isn't a good idea. Nottingham's a great uni!
    Isn't Leeds better than UCL?

ReputationRep:
    Gap year and get exp

Posted from TSR iPad. Don't judge me by my red gems

ReputationRep:
    I was really looking forward to Notts nightlife and I love the campus and city
    but it'd feel like im wasting this grades almost if i didnt at least try

such a hard decision dunno how im gonna do it. Also for Oxbridge/LSE, would the fact ive already got grades achieved higher than what they ask for help me significantly or not at all? Trying to ascertain my chances of success
    The fact you got grades better than the minimum requirement will not benefit you. The average at Cambridge is 2.8A*s, so you're actually below that, even if you're above the requirements. This doesn't mean that you don't have a chance,just that your grades are nothing special with regards to Oxbridge. Also, you mentioned earlier that being expelled means you won't get interview practice. I'm not sure this is a really big deal. I had one practice interview, which was nothing like my actual interview, but still managed to secure an offer.

In reality it all depends on how well you think you would do at interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter12345)
    Isn't Leeds better than UCL?
    Er, no...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenbowes)
    Er, no...
    UCL isn't hat great though. Overhyped. places like Bristol, Durham and Warwick are definitely better.

ReputationRep:
    stick with Nottingham, there's no guarantee you'll do any better at a "higher" university

ReputationRep:
    Yeah id be applying in like a month or two isnt it? hard to achieve much gap year wise
    So even thought ive already achieved the grades, that wouldnt put me ahead of AS students who havent?

Im apprehensive that my iGCSE results would falter me now aha and my lack of a 4th AS level

ReputationRep:

any advice? I love Nottingham campus, nightlife and the uni but idk whether to take a year out and try apply to LSE/Oxford/Cambridge. I dont know if id make it and dont really wanna take a year out of boredom, but would probably regret not trying for the rest of my life!

The amount of career opportunities it would presents is crazy, but i also hear they're lacking in nightlife and uni experience aha

Impossible decision!
    Definitely take a gap year and go for LSE, career opportunities will be on a different level to what Nottingham can give you

Having said that make sure you spend the year doing what benefits your personal statement ie. justify the gap year

ReputationRep:
    I would advise you to go where you think you will be happiest. My offer was only BBC, and I got AAA (pre A* times) and I had a great time at my uni. At the end of the day the modules suited me, the town suited me and I got where I wanted to be. Couldn't be happier!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shehab.a)
    Definitely take a gap year and go for LSE, career opportunities will be on a different level to what Nottingham can give you

Having said that make sure you spend the year doing what benefits your personal statement ie. justify the gap year
    What do places like LSE/Oxbridge etc look for as a 'productive gap year'

Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:

any advice? I love Nottingham campus, nightlife and the uni but idk whether to take a year out and try apply to LSE/Oxford/Cambridge. I dont know if id make it and dont really wanna take a year out of boredom, but would probably regret not trying for the rest of my life!

The amount of career opportunities it would presents is crazy, but i also hear they're lacking in nightlife and uni experience aha

Impossible decision!
    bump for any more advice, im finding this impossible

ReputationRep:

Impossible decision!
    Fantastic news! I'd stay at nottingham though.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on your results!
    I think you sum it up, and perhaps have answered your own question, when you say: 'I love Nottingham campus, nightlife and the uni'. I haven't read the thread properly, but I think you need to sit down and consider the pros and cons about Nottingham/going there this year and the pros and cons of taking a year out/reapplying. Once you have done that I think you will have a better idea of what you want to do. If it were me I would stick with Nottingham though (especially if I said everything you stated in the first post!). Good luck with your decision

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! I bet you feel great

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.