Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Son has royally bombed Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Son hasnt bombed, but HAS been offered a place thru clearing - trouble is, it's all a bit sudden and wondering if anbyone can advise us on how to accept a place (he's got 24 hrs) when u havent got a UCAS email yet!! Tearing hair out for Monday - can anyone advise? Thx if so, obvs SFE & UCAS closed for w/e !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissMiss)
    Son hasnt bombed, but HAS been offered a place thru clearing - trouble is, it's all a bit sudden and wondering if anbyone can advise us on how to accept a place (he's got 24 hrs) when u havent got a UCAS email yet!! Tearing hair out for Monday - can anyone advise? Thx if so, obvs SFE & UCAS closed for w/e !
    Ucas is open tomorrow 10 till 4. Problem likely to be solved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Ucas is open tomorrow 10 till 4. Problem likely to be solved.

thank you so much !

Should he ring or try online?

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much !

Always ring. Phones are much less easy to ignore and you get an immediate answer to your question.

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much !

I would suggest ringing

ReputationRep:
    thanks both - by the morning ,he will have 12 hrs apparently!! Needs to accept, but still waiting for ucas email !

ReputationRep:
    Blimey you pop away for a minute!

Let's get a few things straight.

My son is making all the phone calls himself and finding out all the info himself. I am not posting on his behalf, i am posting on my behalf i am just the type of person who also likes to look into things in great detail as lots of questions, some relevant and some not. If we are going to buy something significant I spend ages researching it, same with holidays, I spending ages searching, chatting on forums. Just because I like to ask questions does not mean I am doing everything for my son.

To the person who suggested he went to the job centre as he obviously isn't academically capable, well he is he achieved 5 A's in English Language, Maths (A*), Science, Additional Science (A* - 100% in his Physics module) plus a couple of B's and a C. He managed this without revising and being a teenager who knows best figured he could do the same at A level. I am not suggesting that he should have come out with 3 a* but I imagine if he had put some effort in he could have easily attained ABB. I am hoping that this is the kick up the backside he needs but if it doesn't he can't turn round and say we didn't support him because we have all the way and tried to offer encouragement etc

And to the lady who thought I should say thank you, if you look at my other posts I do say thank you all the time and I wasn't being flippant when I said he was sorted etc I was just relieved. There have been many many helpful people on boards to who, I am very grateful but it bothers me why there are so many people who feel the need to come on and slate someone when they are worried.

I have asked him several times if university is what he wants and he insists it is. Initially though he was going to do a maths degree but changed to accounting and finance just before we confirmed and he was much happier about it but I think by then it was too late to bring his grades up. Hopefully now he is on a course he wants to do hopefully this will be an incentive. He was lucky enough to have a weeks work experience with PWC and he spoke to many graduates there and they weren't all degree holders from red bricks.

Thank you to all those that have offered advice!

ReputationRep:
    got to admit I chuckled a bit when I first saw the thread title, not at the idea of someone doing badly, but theres something quite hilarious about a mum describing her own son as having 'royally bombed' their exams :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeniViciVidi)
    I think you're misunderstanding where I'm coming from. I'm questioning why it isn't her son, who doesn't really show much independence in his studies. A glance of Nervous Mum's post history reflects this. If her son was adamant on going to university, surely he would be the one posting on these forums to enquire on his options rather than delegating it to a parent?
    maybe he already has, or he has another source where he's getting info from?

there are plenty of other websites, newspaper, even on UCAS itself if you want advice/info on your situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nervous Mum)
    Is there any point calling Uni's requiring more than his grades. Will they take into account his GCSE's and realise that he is not completely stupid. He has got BDE, Maths, FM and Biology. AT GCSE he got 5 A's of which were 2 A* in Maths and Addditional Science, the other A's were in English Lit, DT, Science, the rest were B's and C's.
    Did he have social problems? ie did he not go out with his friends and stay in

An A star in maths is phenomenal only 4-6% of the population achieve it,

He seems unmotivated, has he thought about doing a foundation year in engineering, then applying to a better uni?

ReputationRep:

My son is making all the phone calls himself and finding out all the info himself. I am not posting on his behalf, i am posting on my behalf i am just the type of person who also likes to look into things in great detail as lots of questions, some relevant and some not. If we are going to buy something significant I spend ages researching it, same with holidays, I spending ages searching, chatting on forums. Just because I like to ask questions does not mean I am doing everything for my son.

To the person who suggested he went to the job centre as he obviously isn't academically capable, well he is he achieved 5 A's in English Language, Maths (A*), Science, Additional Science (A* - 100% in his Physics module) plus a couple of B's and a C. He managed this without revising and being a teenager who knows best figured he could do the same at A level. I am not suggesting that he should have come out with 3 a* but I imagine if he had put some effort in he could have easily attained ABB. I am hoping that this is the kick up the backside he needs but if it doesn't he can't turn round and say we didn't support him because we have all the way and tried to offer encouragement etc

And to the lady who thought I should say thank you, if you look at my other posts I do say thank you all the time and I wasn't being flippant when I said he was sorted etc I was just relieved. There have been many many helpful people on boards to who, I am very grateful but it bothers me why there are so many people who feel the need to come on and slate someone when they are worried.

I have asked him several times if university is what he wants and he insists it is. Initially though he was going to do a maths degree but changed to accounting and finance just before we confirmed and he was much happier about it but I think by then it was too late to bring his grades up. Hopefully now he is on a course he wants to do hopefully this will be an incentive. He was lucky enough to have a weeks work experience with PWC and he spoke to many graduates there and they weren't all degree holders from red bricks.

You may think you are supporting him but you actually might not

Have you gotten to the root cause of why he didnt do so well?

Get him into engineering,

ReputationRep:

I'm sorry you've experienced negative response to your posting- which has been completely reasonable. Don't think anything of it, there are just many immature people on this forum. You don't have to justify why you post to anyone- this is a student forum for matters relating to university and this thread is exactly that.

I wish the best of luck to your son, and hope he does well at university of Salford, I know people who have gone and have made the best choice they could have made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickfloss)
    Did he have social problems? ie did he not go out with his friends and stay in

An A star in maths is phenomenal only 4-6% of the population achieve it,

He seems unmotivated, has he thought about doing a foundation year in engineering, then applying to a better uni?
    Thank you, I wasn't aware of that statistic for maths.

Re engineering we did talk abut that but it wasn't something that held his interest.

He does not have a social problems, I would say he is very confident and charming young man, not in a cocky way but polite. I would say though that his social life was late starting, he does not live near his school and his social life didn't start to expand until he was about 15. That's not to say he didn't have friends etc but his social life to that point revolved more around us having to take him to friends houses etc his school does not have a catchment area so friends come from all over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickfloss)
    You may think you are supporting him but you actually might not

Have you gotten to the root cause of why he didnt do so well?

Get him into engineering,
    IGF I ask he just says I have no idea and that the subject (maths/further maths) was insanely hard. Not helped I think by being towards the top of his set all the way through school to then being a closer to the bottom of his set in A level as he was then in with the top people from all the tops set, resulting I think in a knock in his confidence.

I have spoken to him this morning and he said that the subjects got very very hard very quickly which I think was still a shock to him even though they said the leap to a level was so great.

He has said though that he really wants to go and is really looking forward to the course and being at Uni in Manchester.

He has a cousin studying at Manchester Met and I have a cousin (well many cousins but only one that we see on a regular basis) and he would be on call if needed.

I think he is going to have a blast but its a little overwhelming for me having him leave home for the first time but I absolutely want him to do it. I lived at hime until I was 23 and then just upped and moved to the states, best thing I ever did, loved it and I managed and with no support network around me.

Thanks again for all your support. I think I may have to stop posting though as I do seem to have the knack of ruffling feathers.

My son says it's because I don't process information before I spit it out!

ReputationRep:
    My son has got his place through clearing and we were able to add his choice on UCAS as a verbal offer. His email from the Uni went astray but he has it now. The lady said that the confirmation on UCAS can take a little longer as they only process a couple of batches a day and of course there are many thousands going through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    You could always look into courses with foundation years. I got BCD this year and managed to get into a Chemistry course with a foundation year at a good uni (Loughborough).
    Taking a year out and resitting some isn't all that bad though - my sister did that last year and now has the grades to go to uni.
    If he really wants to go this year, it's worth a lot of phone calls. If not, it's worth speaking to his sixth form or college about redoing the A2's in FM & Biology, maybe.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Kat, we talked about resitting but we did receive some advice from an examining officer who said it was best to cut to the chase and go through clearing. He said that the Uni's that he had his offers from wouldn't want to take someone who has taken two attempts. How true this is I don't know.

In his words he is buzzing to be going to Salford and is very excited and busy joining all the associated groups, getting his wristband for fresher etc. Can't quite believe he will be going in about three/four weeks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.