The Student Room Group

I wasn't truthful and now I regret it, please help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Lunch_Box
Too late. It's already on the internet.

What do you mean?
Original post by blueman3
What do you mean?

What if someone from this university snitches on you? What if a member of staff sees this?
Reply 82
As long as you didn't lie on your actual UCAS form. Personal statement is fine - people do it all the time. Studying is a type of working no? :biggrin:

As long as you have the academic qualifications to study at the uni it's fine. And hey! you already have 2 years studying under your belt - that experience will really pull through for you this time round (just don't cheat in your work again).
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi, I am an current ambassador London universites and currently am working to help students in doubt. I would like to explain that universities have a close network and a system which would show only UK qualifications you have stated nothing extra is seen if you have not specified in your UCAS application. Unless you explain there is no way it can be discovered as its a concern. Also the seriousness of your situation, if you had gone to prison then it would be seen however if not it is your right to go to any university of your choice.
Reply 84
As long as you don't disclose that you left for plagiarism there's really no need to be not telling people you studied in the states.. You could say you went there and it wasn't right for you, but that the credits you got there didn't match up so you had to start again... that's IF anyone even asks for that much info.. most people will take it at face value and leave it there.

Do not tell the university if you want to keep a place, and it seems you've already learned the consequences of not behaving properly and know better. Try your best, do as well as you can... universities aren't like school or sixth form (as you already probably know) in being small close-knit places regarding teachers and lecturers, so it doesn't really make sense for them to find out unless you specifically tell someone and they tell a lecturer.... and even then they may ignore it because it might sound petty and false at that point.

The lack of being close knit also means they'll probably never know you enough to look amicably at you if you ever do confess, even with a year of great work behind you. This will jeopardize the rest of your career prospects if you tell, and it's easier to keep it quiet instead.
Reply 85
Original post by chocowhat
As long as you don't disclose that you left for plagiarism there's really no need to be not telling people you studied in the states.. You could say you went there and it wasn't right for you, but that the credits you got there didn't match up so you had to start again... that's IF anyone even asks for that much info.. most people will take it at face value and leave it there.

Do not tell the university if you want to keep a place, and it seems you've already learned the consequences of not behaving properly and know better. Try your best, do as well as you can... universities aren't like school or sixth form (as you already probably know) in being small close-knit places regarding teachers and lecturers, so it doesn't really make sense for them to find out unless you specifically tell someone and they tell a lecturer.... and even then they may ignore it because it might sound petty and false at that point.

The lack of being close knit also means they'll probably never know you enough to look amicably at you if you ever do confess, even with a year of great work behind you. This will jeopardize the rest of your career prospects if you tell, and it's easier to keep it quiet instead.

Yes, I think that is the best course of action I have, thanks for the advice.
Reply 86
Original post by Minerva
If the uni discovers that your UCAS form was incomplete/untruthful, you could get thrown off the course, even months down the line, particularly since the issue was plagiarism, which is taken very seriously in academic circles.

The fact that you would rather not start all over again is a different issue, and you would need to negotiate with the university concerned whether they would be prepared to accept you for second year entry.

My advice to you would be to contact the university as soon as possible because you will need to talk to the admissions tutor. You may get a quick answer, but it is also possible that s/he will need to take advice from others at the uni.

Either way, you need to clear this up. A bad conscience is a very soul-destroying thing.

Hence why it should be buried deep down under mountains of sarcasm and the like so asto be never heard from again :wink:
Don't listen to Minerva. She's talking *******s.
Why bother asking on a forum what you should do? All you want its to convince yourself that what you did was ok.

You KNOW you shouldn't lie on a UCAS application.

As a student anywhere in the world, you KNOW not to talk in exams, to cite references in your work and to only ever submit your own work.

You know all of this.

And yet you want everyone to hold your hand and reassure you that you haven't done anything wrong? Well I'm sorry, but you have. And by lying, you've 'stolen' a place from another student who hasn't lied, or plagiarized, who has worked hard for their grades and has played by the rules. And all because you decided that you have some 'right' to do whatever you want, screw the consequences and to ask other people to approve of your choices to make you feel better about yourself.

How about you grow a pair and face up to your past?

WHEN your university finds out, they have every right to kick you out. Because honestly, why would they want to teach someone who is a cheat, a liar, who shows no remorse and has taken no responsibility for their actions?

Do I sound too harsh? Maybe.
Can you in, all honesty, deny anything I've said? Probably not.
I'm not sure what the best course of action is. It's clear that you don't really regret the plagiarism or lying on your UCAS form. You're just worried in case someone finds out.
Reply 90
Hi there, Here is my situation and I would appreciate any pragmatic advice or useful perspectives. The last two years I have been at a higher education institution in the states, pursuing a NCAA basketball career. Things didn't work out and the bottom line is that I ended up getting kicked out for plagiarism this May. Obviously not a great place to be but luckily being a Brit and having good A levels (A*,A,B), I decided to apply late through UCAS. The only thing is that in the heat of the moment I decided to lie on personal statement and excluded the fact that I had already been in university abroad for the last two years saying instead that I had been working..

Seriously, if you want to put this right then drop out and reapply with an honest PS, admitting your lie at this stage is only going to cause problems. You're young and perhaps your life shouldn't be blighted by youthful stupidity, answer honestly but don't offer information that isn't requested. We probably all deserve a second chance but you'll need to manage your situation, universities don't like plagiarism, it's a massive and growing problem for them, especially with coursework based exams.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by cl_steele
Hence why it should be buried deep down under mountains of sarcasm and the like so asto be never heard from again :wink:

Did you just say 'hence why'? No wonder they worry about falling educational standards.
Reply 92
Original post by GStevens
Did you just say 'hence why'? No wonder they worry about falling educational standards.

Well done you can read :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by StefiMarie
Why bother asking on a forum what you should do? All you want its to convince yourself that what you did was ok.

You KNOW you shouldn't lie on a UCAS application.

As a student anywhere in the world, you KNOW not to talk in exams, to cite references in your work and to only ever submit your own work.

You know all of this.

And yet you want everyone to hold your hand and reassure you that you haven't done anything wrong? Well I'm sorry, but you have. And by lying, you've 'stolen' a place from another student who hasn't lied, or plagiarized, who has worked hard for their grades and has played by the rules. And all because you decided that you have some 'right' to do whatever you want, screw the consequences and to ask other people to approve of your choices to make you feel better about yourself.

How about you grow a pair and face up to your past?

WHEN your university finds out, they have every right to kick you out. Because honestly, why would they want to teach someone who is a cheat, a liar, who shows no remorse and has taken no responsibility for their actions?

Do I sound too harsh? Maybe.
Can you in, all honesty, deny anything I've said? Probably not.

Prior to my studying in the USA, my accomplishments in terms of academics and otherwise had all been achieved honestly. Since these accomplishments are solely what my UCAS application are based on I feel as if I deserve my place. Although I did make some mistakes at my previous uni, I know in my heart how hard I worked and that for the most part I was treated harshly. I do not feel any guilt for my past, it is more the fact that I want an open and transparent relationship with my new uni.
So tell them the truth about your PS. Simples.
I think people are being a bit quick to demonise you on this thread. Uni can be stressful and people make mistakes, and I can see why you panicked and lied on your UCAS form. The thought of your whole future as you see it going up in smoke because of one mistake must be daunting.

That said a guilty conscience is something I personally cannot live with. If I were you I would explain your mistakes honestly to your new university and hope they look on it with sympathetic eyes.

However, as I mentioned above, objectively the best course of action is to hope no one finds out.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do have a bunch of friends online that are from my old college and I will definitely be in contact with them. If anyone asks, I think I will tell them that I studied in the states, but I will leave the reasons for leaving very vague. The course I am on has over 90 students. I really don't see it being likely that professors will remember details about what I said in my personal statement. Trust me I am not going to start blurting to anyone that I cheated and lied my way in but it is a bigger thing to lie about what you did for the last two years, since those experiences shaped who I am today. I will say so I decided to come back to the uk, whats the big deal?

First of all, I hope you understand I'm not trying to be a bitch about this- and it makes no odds to me whether you tell the truth or not. I understand everyone makes mistakes. I just think this isn't going to be that easy to get away with. Some people can be very malicious, so you're going to have to be very careful. And lying to everyone you know is something that's very difficult to do.

Lying about what you did for the past two years would obviously be really hard. On the other hand, you're going to spend three years being very careful not to let slip your true reason for leaving. And the more people you tell, the more chance it has of getting back to someone you don't want to hear. I also think the more you talk about your old college, the more likely it is that something will come out about why you really left.

However, there are still scenarios where this could become a problem- for example, in tutorials, it's a common ice breaker for the tutor to ask everyone what they did prior to university. What would you say? People will think it's odd if you don't mention studying in the states at this stage, but it would be a massive risk to say it to the tutor.

Also, you need to make sure your nose stays very clean, especially in first year.
Will you spend each day at your new Uni wondering if this is the day that you will be found out?
Original post by iantehstudent
Jesus Christ, I made an account just to reply to your thread. blueman3, I would not like to be in your situation. My honest advice: tell the truth now!

You'll most likely lose your place if you tell the truth, yeah, but much better than the mere possibility of getting kicked out in the middle of the course and blacklisted forever (whether it's University or your future career, for your multiple plagiarism and dishonesty). And personally for me, I would be mentally drained spending each day wondering if today is the day I'll be found out.

Logically speaking, the University will unlikely find this out but that was BEFORE you posted this on a public forum. There are people out there who would actually go down all the way to pin down your IP, contact UCAS and link your information and this thread of yours, just to ruin your life for entertainment purposes. In fact -if I was a University admissioner -I would inquire TheStudentRoom for your IP (although there are much simpler methods), note down your name and address, forward the information to all other Universities through UCAS and blacklist your name forever. This might sound outrageous but honestly what I described above doesn't seem impossible or a difficult task right?

Tell them the truth now. The fact that you asked advice on a forum meant you're not fully determined to do what you gonna do. Give up the place. Reapply next year for the same course if possible, if not it doesn't matter -because at the end of the day, if your profile is clean and you're determined to succeed, you will acquire success in your career. However if your profile is not clean, no one will give you the opportunity to succeed whether you are determined or not. Trust me on this.

I don't think it will need that. I will be amazed if an NCAA level basketball payer being kicked out of his college hasn't made it to the college newspaper. If it has then his name is likely to be out in the internet attached to this story.
Reply 99
You got caught last time you'll get caught this time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending