Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Failed A-levels, Now allowed to continue at school Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Access courses are a lot harder if you got low grades for as levels u won't cope with access and they will say that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d0mm)
    Preferably i would like to go uni next year and not start from scratch by re-doing the year at collage.
    If your school doesn't accept you, it seems like your only choice is to resit the year somewhere else.
    May I ask why you don't want to??

If it's college you don't want to go to, then go to another sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    This. Bolton accepts people with EEE and three criminal convictions. It's a disgrace.
    We all know that Bolton is a Polyversity, not a University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    If you didn't pay attention in lesson and didnt do much out of it I dont know how you expected anything, retake the year if you're prepared to do work. Or join a college and take up a BTEC or vocational course is my advice to you
    I didn't expect anything decent, i failed for reasons of my own mixed with being already lazy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azarimanka)
    1. Genuinely clever people don't get those grades, even if they put little effort in. So stop kidding yourself.

2. You don't sound that worthy of another chance if you slept in classes etc how disrespectful is that?

3. I would give up on 'uni'. Unless you want to study a mickey mouse subject at a mickey mouse university. Go get a job.

4. If A levels are not for you, University is not for you. Go get a job.

5. Stop pissing around, go get the job, academic studies = not for you. You have obtained the results you deserve.
    1.) No matter how clever you are if you sit an exam in which you have basically not been to any lessons for the whole year you will still fail.

2.) Fair point, but surely everyone makes mistakes and deserves a 2nd shot?

3.) I am going to resit my two passes at as and carry on with the two a levels. I CAN bring them up to decent grades. Then i will sit a couple extra as levels at collage to bring me enough ucas points for a decent course.

4.) That's something that i am considering and i would appreciate some proper advice like some i have received from the other kind people on this thread

5.) Yes, i know i got the results i deserved. Doesn't mean i got the results i'm capable of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxnoora95xXx)
    im in the same position as you and basically ive come to the point where im gonna do fast track online AS/A2 course because I have heard alot of negatives from BTEC :confused: hope ive given you an idea to think about
    Doing a fast track course online is definitely something i would be interested in, i will have to look into it. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried foundation

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This exactly the grades I received a few days ago. But I do biology, chemistry, maths and pyschology. I thought putting in work in the last month or two would get me 4 A's but how I was wrong. Plus I didn't use the right revision techniques. I haven't spoke to my school yet but there is No way I'll be allowed to continue and they don't allow people to retake the year unless its under special circumstances.
    I REALLY want to go to uni and make something of myself there is no way I'm going to get a job and just get by living in my parents house. I'm going to retake my alevels at another sixth form or college and MAKE sure I achieve good grades and work hard from the beginning. It's sucks to go to uni a year later but it's only a year and it'll go so quickly especially A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladynova)
    Yes, and realize this as well. GCSE has no bearing on A level, I got A* in my physics GCSE and I came out with a U in some A2 exams, but my as was a solid B so my overall grade was a C. Thankfully.

Do you have zero interest in them or did you just not try? Here is the thing, even with subjects you like there are tedious parts that you have to go through, with that attitude you will not get far.

Yep fair enough you are dropping Physics and Maths but it wasn't just the fact you didn't pay attention that you failed it was either your revision technique or just not staying on track. Be careful because you will fall into bad grades again if you don't identify why you failed. it was not just a lack of interest but a lack of work. And someone can be incredibly interested in a subject and still fail because they didn't put the work in.

What subjects do you want to do now? All A levels are hard, and do not be disheartened if your first essays or practice exams are bad results. I know my first ever A level essays were terrible I got like U's in them, but you see it creep up and up through the year and it turned into an A after months of persistence, 5 essays a week with homework. That is just what you have to do.

So retake the whole year doing geography and economics and pick up 2 new subjects as well.
    I have decided to just carry on with Econ and Geog at my school. I will resit the exams i did badly in and boost my grade up. Then i will go do an as or two at collage to boost my ucas points up some more. I think you're right about it being more to do with not trying, but in my opinion if you don't enjoy a subject revising for it is much more tedious and it's harder to fully concentrate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity_4652)
    If your school doesn't accept you, it seems like your only choice is to resit the year somewhere else.
    May I ask why you don't want to??

If it's college you don't want to go to, then go to another sixth form.
    I'm just shy i guess and i prefer to go with the 'norm'. But i've got over that now anyway. I'm going to carry on at school doing just two a levels. Then do a year at collage doing another two as levels. I will decide about uni as i go along, still unsure about if i want to go for the right reasons or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miso77)
    This exactly the grades I received a few days ago. But I do biology, chemistry, maths and pyschology. I thought putting in work in the last month or two would get me 4 A's but how I was wrong. Plus I didn't use the right revision techniques. I haven't spoke to my school yet but there is No way I'll be allowed to continue and they don't allow people to retake the year unless its under special circumstances.
    I REALLY want to go to uni and make something of myself there is no way I'm going to get a job and just get by living in my parents house. I'm going to retake my alevels at another sixth form or college and MAKE sure I achieve good grades and work hard from the beginning. It's sucks to go to uni a year later but it's only a year and it'll go so quickly especially A2.
    Haha, wow that was me all over. I just thought i'd do what i did at GCSE and revise a day before the exam and come out with A*. Obviously i new it was harder so i thought a month or two would be fine. But it was just too much and i found i wasn't capable of even reading everything i needed to know let alone learn it. I'm now going to continue at school doing just two alevels. Then sit a couple more at collage for a year, maybe just as levels. Then go off to uni a year late hopefully. Hopefully i will have fully decided about uni then at least.

ReputationRep:
    Just because you're intelligent, doesn't mean you HAVE to go to uni. It seems like you aren't set up for education. Getting bored quickly at A-Levels is just gonna be the same at Degree, especially after you must've had the jolt of modular examination grades not being so great. This usually 'wakes' people up in my experience...

Go get an apprenticeship and be somebody useful instead of going to uni for the sake of it. You might be able to put your natural ability to use elsewhere and it doesn't have to be a 'dumb' apprenticeship. There are apprenticeships in law firms, medical centres etc etc. You haven't mentioned once in your OP what your aspirations are career or degree wise.

If you're still intent on doing that, you're probably best off resitting both years because AS and A2 all in June (don't forget, no January modules anymore) would be seriously difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamskiUK)
    Just because you're intelligent, doesn't mean you HAVE to go to uni. It seems like you aren't set up for education. Getting bored quickly at A-Levels is just gonna be the same at Degree, especially after you must've had the jolt of modular examination grades not being so great. This usually 'wakes' people up in my experience...

Go get an apprenticeship and be somebody useful instead of going to uni for the sake of it. You might be able to put your natural ability to use elsewhere and it doesn't have to be a 'dumb' apprenticeship. There are apprenticeships in law firms, medical centres etc etc. You haven't mentioned once in your OP what your aspirations are career or degree wise.

If you're still intent on doing that, you're probably best off resitting both years because AS and A2 all in June (don't forget, no January modules anymore) would be seriously difficult.
    The reason i never mention any aspirations are because i just don't know what i want to do or be yet. Preferably i'd like to do something more independent but i realise that's not at all easy. I've decided to continue at school with my two a levels that i passed. I will also resit the as levels from those subjects and as i'm only doing two subjects i think that is doable.

University is still something i am very unsure on, and at the moment i'm just hoping as i mature over the following year i will start to gather more ideas about what I hope to do after school and after education and what i actually enjoy doing therefore seeing myself able to do it for a large part of my life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d0mm)
    Haha, wow that was me all over. I just thought i'd do what i did at GCSE and revise a day before the exam and come out with A*. Obviously i new it was harder so i thought a month or two would be fine. But it was just too much and i found i wasn't capable of even reading everything i needed to know let alone learn it. I'm now going to continue at school doing just two alevels. Then sit a couple more at collage for a year, maybe just as levels. Then go off to uni a year late hopefully. Hopefully i will have fully decided about uni then at least.
    Are you going to go to college at the same time as college? Because if you go to college after you finish A2 and start as courses you'll spend 2 years there and go to uni 2 years later. Unless you do fast track courses but they don't always work out so can be risky.. You don't want to waste your time just because it seems like the easier option rather than moving but think about things in the long run

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miso77)
    Are you going to go to college at the same time as college? Because if you go to college after you finish A2 and start as courses you'll spend 2 years there and go to uni 2 years later. Unless you do fast track courses but they don't always work out so can be risky.. You don't want to waste your time just because it seems like the easier option rather than moving but think about things in the long run
    I was hoping to finish my a levels at school this coming year. Then next do just AS levels at collage, which would take up one more year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d0mm)
    Doing a fast track course online is definitely something i would be interested in, i will have to look into it. Thanks
    noooo probz

ReputationRep:
    I like these excuses '' oh but I'm NATURALLY intelligent, I just slept and did no work'' well guess what, intelligent people should be hard working too, no point boasting to people that you have a smart mind if you don't use it to perform (even if tests are just regurgitation of information rather than just using your brain, but you did get a U in maths so....)
    Is resitting your A level year not an option for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d0mm)
    Sorry, these are my AS-Levels, not A levels

Maths-u
    Physics-u
    Geography-D
    Economics-D

Please do not slate me. It was 150% my fault. Without wanting to sound arrogant, i am very clever, and i terms of natural intelligence I would definitely be up there in the top of the school. you're probably thinking i'm not-but trust me i am. Please don't slate me like i have seen on other threads, i'm feeling really low right now and you'll just have to take my word for it. My problem was i did literally NO work for the whole year. I did NO homework AT ALL and slept in every lesson all lesson. I guess i just found it so unbelievably boring and i realise now that i should not have stayed on for a levels as it's simple not for me.

But i do want to go to uni, but i have been kicked out my school. What options do i have? Whatever i do i will definitely not be as unbelievably lazy as i was this year, and i can get some decent results one day i hope.

I'm going to speak with the school tomorrow, but what can i do? Preferably i would like to go uni next year and not start from scratch by re-doing the year at collage

All help is appreciated.

UPDATE
    as things stand i am going to continue on at school doing just two a levels, while at the same time resisting the as levels in those subjects. Then in a years time i will go to collage and get a couple of as levels to boost my UCAS points hopefully then i will know what i want out of life and will have enough grades to get my into a decent uni. Does this sound like a plan?

And thanks so much for everybodys help
    lolololololololol and whos fault is it.

you get free education and you choose to sleep and not work. loads of people all over the world would kill for some sort of education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d0mm)
    I'm just shy i guess and i prefer to go with the 'norm'. But i've got over that now anyway. I'm going to carry on at school doing just two a levels. Then do a year at collage doing another two as levels. I will decide about uni as i go along, still unsure about if i want to go for the right reasons or not
    Feel free to ask for help any time!

All the best!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oyyoyy)
    I like these excuses '' oh but I'm NATURALLY intelligent, I just slept and did no work'' well guess what, intelligent people should be hard working too, no point boasting to people that you have a smart mind if you don't use it to perform (even if tests are just regurgitation of information rather than just using your brain, but you did get a U in maths so....)
    Is resitting your A level year not an option for you?
    I know they also have to do work. I'm not making excuses, i know it was all my fault. BUT the fact that i should have done so much better makes it worse. Had i have tried really hard and still got those grades. I wouldn't even be posing on this forum today because i would know that it simply wasn't to be.

Im going to resit my as Levels in the two i passed at the same time as doing the full a level. Then do a couple more as grades in collage in a years time

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.