Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Looks like im retaking C1 and C2 next year >.>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1nconnu)
    really?i got C eng lit,C in History and D in french.i really was hoping for BBC
    Well if you think about it, those were only 1 grade below what you wanted - that can be compensated for at A2 and with resits quite easily. The 'AS Reality check' is very common, but it spurs people on in the next year (like me )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    I'm really annoyed with OCR. My teacher told me that my coursework mark was equivalent to an A, whereas, when I read my marks, I had got a D in it therefore reducing my English lit grade to a C. My grades are not good at all, so I'm actually going to work hard from September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i was told by my teachers that my english lit coursework was a low A and ended up with a mid C and all year i was getting high As in the exam but ended up with a mid B. i also know many people who ended up with Us and Es in lit too

ReputationRep:
    I got CCCD (maths, biology, geography and chemistry) , I'm so disappointed as I wanted to do Vet Med but I know I don't have a chance now as my grades are so bad. I have been doing work experience for three years and now feel like it has been a massive waste of time, I have thought about doing biomedical science or something similar but most universities are asking for AAB-ABB and I doubt my school will predict me the grades that i need, anybody got any advice or suggestions on any other courses or careers i could look into????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    how did you do on them ?

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to A Levels guys. Where no matter how hard you work, your grades will fluctuate undeservedly all over the place.

It is just a case of not giving up, and working at it though, you might go insane and feel like killing yourself, but you'll eventually get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBigGeek)
    While I do think that the exam season has been slightly strange (odd papers and all that) people at our school typically got what they were expected to, no huge surprises. Every year people create a thread like this, but the truth is not all teachers know how to adequately predict grades and students can often fool their teachers by doing well in mocks and class tests by finding the past papers.

There will always be a range of grades - I'm really sorry if that doesn't give you what you want but not everyone can be top standard!
    When I was doing chemistry, my teachers predicted me an E grade for that subject but I was close to an A grade overall, I love proving people wrong

ReputationRep:
    Yes, thank you!

I was predicted AABB and I got CCCD and I literally have no idea how, I really wouldn't care if I hadn't tried but I worked my a--- off for those exams! So not only am I doomed to retake English, I also have to change Uni plans because I 'probably won't' get an A to get in anywhere.

:bricks::mob::rant:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    oh, that's not good Did you're friends not get kicked out of college? I've heard some people are being kicked out which i think is a bit harsh tbh, especially for those who have worked hard
    They can either retake the year if there is anymore spaces due to a new batch of year 11s coming or they have to go to another college which would be sad, i have known them since year 8 :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turnip storm)
    Every year people think that A/S's are marked harshly. It really isn't the end of the world and you can easily turn it around in your second year or, failing that, you could easily resit Year 12
    I got my results today for my A2's and achieved AAC (Biology, Geography and Physics), but this is saying something, as last Jan, i had achieved two E's and a B, so it shows how much you can turn things around in a small amount of time with a lot of knuckling down!

However, to be honest, as with myself, what you achieve at A/S is likely to be what you achieve at A2 (I got AAC and a D at A/S, AAC at A2), or your grades will go down. I think you just need to rethink how you revise and perhaps plan your time more efficiently? A2 will shock you all

By the way, this is coming from someone who goes to a normal Sixth Form and who is not a 'super nerd'. I hate revising
    Tbh I disagree with you about that comment about A2s being the same AS - I know plenty of people that have turned it around from their A2s and achieved much better grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    how did you do on them ?
    a Marginal A on C1 and a C on C2. Fortunately i got a highish B on mechanics (God knows how) which averages it out to a mid range B for AS.

Basically i have a tendency to completely fluster under Maths exams, which results in making crappy mistakes
    E.g. For the edexcel c2, for a Circles question i some how churned out that 6-2=2 Thereby losing many marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itachi Uchiha.)
    Same grades as me!! BBBC - was hoping for at least few A's though
    Which subjects did you do?
    B,B,B,D in History, Religious Studies, Psychology and applied science respectively, 1 UMS off an A in History and 3 off an A in RS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CuriousQuestioner)
    What exam boards are you guys experiencing this with? My OCR and AQA exam boards were really good more than I hoped but WJEC just wow. I barely got a D in one biology module (for unit 1 and practical I got A's) and I got a C in my English when that was supposed to be my best subject???? No idea what happened though I knew biology went badly but not that bad O_o
    WJEC Computing and IT is an absolute joke, unless you use set words or phrases and literally copy the mark scheme, your answer WILL be marked wrong. You could write a perfectly valid answer but get zero marks for it just because you didn't word your answer correctly. It's essentially an exam that tests how well you can memorise past mark schemes as opposed to testing whether you actually know the answers.

WJEC do generally seem to be a pain in the @rse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueray2)
    Yes they did mark it harshly, but it also depends on your center.
    For instance I had loads of people in my class who did really well and got A's at geography, but my geography answers were slightly worse than them and I got a B.
    If I was in another area with worse students and I did the same, I would have got an A.

FFS its annoying.
    I didn't realise they marked it 'as a centre' like that?
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayqwe)
    That is actually really lame of your school/college, hopefully you can retake modules at your new sixthform
    Hopefully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    I'm retaking C1, C2 and S1, this year I will have 6 maths exams which includes C3, C4 and M1 this is going to be a loong year :dong:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    Yh i haven't heard of anyone achieving more than an AA at AS this year?
    I got 4A,s it was a big shock though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayqwe)
    I'm retaking C1, C2 and S1, this year I will have 6 maths exams which includes C3, C4 and M1 this is going to be a loong year :dong:
    Aww you did that under-par?

I found this years M1 very awkward and i'm flattered to be given a B considering my answers hardly ever matched Arseys!

It's basically like your fast tracking a level maths :P Alwells, i'm hoping for an A at most for a level maths, though ill be fine with a B grade!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seble)
    I didn't realise they marked it 'as a centre' like that?
    Yeah I didn't think that as well, but they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    Yh i haven't heard of anyone achieving more than an AA at AS this year?
    I thought you only got an A* grade at A2 level?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.