Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Ooh, you like Girls' Generation, don't you?
    ________________________________ __________
    Sitting this for Oxford Maths & CompSci but I'm sh*tting myself because I got really low scores in my first two past papers, i.e. high 50s/low 60s...
    I love Seohyun
    I haven't even finished my personal statement. Currently I'm just gathering resources for my future MAT revision
    What college are you applying to?
    What other universities are you considering? I'm thinking about Warwick Bristol Birmingham.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Just those two I think. A few others use STEP.
    I did AS and A2 Maths this year. I got an A* 589/600

UMS breakdown:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    C1: 98
    C2: 100
    C3: 100
    C4: 100
    S1: 100
    M1: 91

What about you?
    Bit of a random reply (sorry) but I got 589/600 too haha, although from what I've seen from this forum that doesn't reflect our comparitive maths ability! Dropped 9 in C1 though and 2 in C2. Did M2 instead of S1. Nobody probably cares anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BankOfPigs)
    So around 8 MC questions and 3-4 decent responses to longer answers? The boundaries seem to be pretty low but then I guess its because of the difficulty.

I didn't get great GCSE / AS to be honest, so I think I'm going to need as many marks as possible :L

Yeah I presume the boundaries might be slightly lower than if someone did Maths by itself, or Maths and Stats. Or maybe I'm just telling myself this as a confidence boost ^^

If I get rejected on the basis of the MAT then to be honest that's fair for me as it just means that I'm just not good enough for Maths as a degree. It would be much better to get rejected on a competence level, than doing awfully at interviews and getting rejected for that. Or getting rejected due to GCSE / AS grades.
    By the way, do you think my B will consideralby hurt my chances? What did you get in GCSE? I got 6*4A1B, but I'm worried that every other applicant will get like all A* or at least All A*/A.

I think getting a tutor would be quite nice. I reckon if I asked, my teachers might be willing to spare some extra time, although I can imagine a lot of the questions they might have difficulty with, if they haven't practiced much.

I've looked at bristol and I've been considering LSE, but not really much else in terms of other uni's. What about you?
    I reckon that will be enough who knows it could perhaps be even lower for Math/Phil

I managed 11 A*s at GCSE I wouldn't worry about one B in a GCSE though, I think they'll accept that everyone has a bad day in an exam room under exam pressure (though maybe not if you got 10% on the MAT ). I also did an FSMQ last year which I got an A in, so I hope they'll consider that too!

To be honest, although GCSE/AS will help, a good/great score on the MAT will supersede any of your past achievements in Oxford's eyes (I think)

I think I tempted fate with my last comment - my parents have organised a tutor for me next week apparently he's a maths postgrad from Oxford, so that should be very useful! I'll share any tips if/when I receive them

I've looked at Manchester + Lancaster so far. I've also got an open day booked for York. I wanted to see Bristol but it was all booked up thoughts on it? are you going to use all of your options for Math/Phil (GV15)?

Incidentally, Nottingham aren't running the course - even though it says so on their website

ReputationRep:
    Slightly off topic question. How many A2's are you all doing? I'm doing 4 and I'm not sure how the lack of January exams will work out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmufc1995)
    I reckon that will be enough who knows it could perhaps be even lower for Math/Phil

I managed 11 A*s at GCSE I wouldn't worry about one B in a GCSE though, I think they'll accept that everyone has a bad day in an exam room under exam pressure (though maybe not if you got 10% on the MAT ). I also did an FSMQ last year which I got an A in, so I hope they'll consider that too!

To be honest, although GCSE/AS will help, a good/great score on the MAT will supersede any of your past achievements in Oxford's eyes (I think)

I think I tempted fate with my last comment - my parents have organised a tutor for me next week apparently he's a maths postgrad from Oxford, so that should be very useful! I'll share any tips if/when I receive them

I've looked at Manchester + Lancaster so far. I've also got an open day booked for York. I wanted to see Bristol but it was all booked up thoughts on it? are you going to use all of your options for Math/Phil (GV15)?

Incidentally, Nottingham aren't running the course - even though it says so on their website
    Did a bit of research, they add up your GCSE A*'s (assigning it some sort of score) with your MAT, which they use to narrow down candidates to 1 in 3. I presume around 8-9 A* is the average so I'll have to make up for it with a high MAT, although you should have a minor advantage

Nice, are you just going to hire your tutor until the MAT, or are you also getting help for 'normal' Maths? I think I'll do a few more of these papers, and if I'm still struggling, I might see whether a tutor is of use.

I went to Bristol, not too sure that I really like it that much. It's really far from where I live, and whilst there are some pretty cool buildings, I don't think the atmostphere is my style. To be honest, when I went, I wasn't actually sure if I wanted to do Maths and Philosophy. I ended up going to the Economics talk (which was okayish), and accidentily applied for the 'religion and theology' talk which I thought might have been somewhat linked. I was so wrong, and it was such a tedious talk. The only good thing was it asked for like ABB which is a huge difference to A*A*A :rolleyes:

I think I'll probably use all my options for Maths and Philosophy. I wouldn't want to do philosophy by itself and I'd really like to do Maths in some vein. I considered PPE, but thats really competitive and it's alot more essay writing, whilst I don't care that much about politics. I don't think I have enough passion to do pure maths though, so at most I'd deviate to something like Economics and philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    Did you get feedback on your test score and how you did in the interview?
    No, not generally. My college are particularly strict about not telling people what their scores are, although the interviewer at my second college did hint at my MAT score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seohyun)
    I love Seohyun
    I haven't even finished my personal statement. Currently I'm just gathering resources for my future MAT revision
    What college are you applying to?
    What other universities are you considering? I'm thinking about Warwick Bristol Birmingham.

I think I'm going to apply to Keble. How about you?
    I'm considering Imperial, UCL and then for the other two, I really don't know. I think it may comprise Bristol and Manchester although I might decide to put Warwick in there.

(Original post by seohyun)
    Slightly off topic question. How many A2's are you all doing? I'm doing 4 and I'm not sure how the lack of January exams will work out.

4 but I'm worried about my workload.

Did a bit of research, they add up your GCSE A*'s (assigning it some sort of score) with your MAT, which they use to narrow down candidates to 1 in 3. I presume around 8-9 A* is the average so I'll have to make up for it with a high MAT, although you should have a minor advantage

Nice, are you just going to hire your tutor until the MAT, or are you also getting help for 'normal' Maths? I think I'll do a few more of these papers, and if I'm still struggling, I might see whether a tutor is of use.

I went to Bristol, not too sure that I really like it that much. It's really far from where I live, and whilst there are some pretty cool buildings, I don't think the atmostphere is my style. To be honest, when I went, I wasn't actually sure if I wanted to do Maths and Philosophy. I ended up going to the Economics talk (which was okayish), and accidentily applied for the 'religion and theology' talk which I thought might have been somewhat linked. I was so wrong, and it was such a tedious talk. The only good thing was it asked for like ABB which is a huge difference to A*A*A :rolleyes:

I think I'll probably use all my options for Maths and Philosophy. I wouldn't want to do philosophy by itself and I'd really like to do Maths in some vein. I considered PPE, but thats really competitive and it's alot more essay writing, whilst I don't care that much about politics. I don't think I have enough passion to do pure maths though, so at most I'd deviate to something like Economics and philosophy.
    Great! Didn't know they actually cared about A*s much for Maths and now I feel like I'll be at a great disadvantage for having 4A* 6A.
    Should have tried back then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JosephML)
    At this stage I wouldn't worry too much, remember it's still August!! Just focus on where you went wrong and ask on here for help if you don't understand anything (or ask your teachers). Also remember that there aren't very many MAT past papers available (unlike with STEP) so it may be a good idea not to race through the papers too quickly. It may also be a good idea to look at the maths section of the PAT, although I don't know how applicable that is, and some of the C1/C2 STEP questions.
    Nearly September and September and October will breeze past before you know it with all the UCAS stuff. ;(

ReputationRep:
    What's the earliest MAT past paper available? I want to start with the earliest and make my way forwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayled)
    Bit of a random reply (sorry) but I got 589/600 too haha, although from what I've seen from this forum that doesn't reflect our comparitive maths ability! Dropped 9 in C1 though and 2 in C2. Did M2 instead of S1. Nobody probably cares anyway
    It's a good score
    I'm just a pure boy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Nearly September and September and October will breeze past before you know it with all the UCAS stuff. ;(
    Even so, you want to be increasing your workload nearer to the exam not decreasing it because you have nothing left to do therefore stay away from the recent papers. I can give you some oxford entrance practice sheets if you really want stuff to do, although I don't have any solutions so I'll need to them myself but that's not really an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Sitting this for Oxford Maths & CompSci but I'm sh*tting myself because I got really low scores in my first two past papers, i.e. high 50s/low 60s...
    This test is meant to be a lot harder than A Level, even though it's based on the Maths A Level syllabus. Last year, roughly speaking, those we interviewed for M&Cs got 53+ in the test. The year before it was about 50. It doesn't sound like you're doing too badly at all at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept)
    This test is meant to be a lot harder than A Level, even though it's based on the Maths A Level syllabus. Last year, roughly speaking, those we interviewed for M&Cs got 53+ in the test. The year before it was about 50. It doesn't sound like you're doing too badly at all at this stage.
    May I ask what other factors, in addition to the MAT, you take into account when sorting the candidates? I.e GCSE's, predicted A Level grades, other qualifications, extra-curricular work etc

Do you know if the scores that you've quoted are similar for the other 'Joint' Maths courses?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    May I ask what other factors, in addition to the MAT, you take into account when sorting the candidates? I.e GCSE's, predicted A Level grades, other qualifications, extra-curricular work etc
    HI. When selecting applicants for our CompSci courses we use everything we know about an applicant: That includes:
    • performance across a range of subjects at GCSE (or equivalent),
    • AS-level or module results (if there are any),
    • personal statement on the UCAS form,
    • the confidential reference (and estimated grades for future exams) on the UCAS form,
    • performance in the Admissions Test (MAT),
    • performance in the interviews at the applicant's college of first choice and at a second college.

We are trying to reach a consistent picture of the applicant's ability using all of these things. We will take into account any contextual/extenuating circumstances information received.

Most candidates will have pretty similar predicted A Level grades (or equivalent) so they aren't hugely useful in differentiating candidates. We don't need to put as much weight on the PS as some universities as we have the chance to meet candidates at interview, so the PS isn't a big thing for us.

Although we do look at GCSE grades when deciding who to interview, the MAT score is a far more important deciding factor. Interviews are also an extremely important part of the process.

Tutors make the admissions decisions based on academic abilities and potential alone: extra-curricular activities do not form part of the selection criteria in any subject. We aren't looking for any specific computing knowledge, but we are looking for people with a genuine interest in the subject. So we do want to hear about an applicant's computing- and maths-related experiences. Super-curricular activities (subject-related undertakings that could be anything from summer schools to competitions, work experience, to background reading to programming experience) can help us build an overall picture about the person applying. But we don't have a checklist of things we want someone to have completed: we'd rather hear about what the applicant has chosen to do, and what excited them about it. It doesn't have to be earth-shatteringly original. But it is what makes a personal statement personal.

We talk about these things in more detail on our admissions pages: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/

Do you know if the scores that you've quoted are similar for the other 'Joint' Maths courses?
    The Maths Dept publish some stats on this page: http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospectiv...specimen-tests but I'm afraid you'd need to contact them for more information.

ReputationRep:

Okay that sounds good where did you find that info (source please)?

The tutor is exclusively for MAT I believe. I think we'll just be going through the longer questions that I haven't really focused on yet. First lesson on Weds, so we'll see how it goes!

Hmmm Bristol is a long way from me too, so I'm a little cautious to apply there to be honest. Although I do want to live away from home, I'm not sure I want to live that far away :L as for the talks, so far the only place I've been which has a specific 'Maths & Philosophy' session has been Oxford. That means I've had to go to one 'Maths' talk and another 'Philosophy' at the other unis - and the departments didn't really seem to know much about the joint course

I think all my options will be for Math/Phil too. the only problem I think I'll have will be filling the UCAS choices, since the course isn't that popular. So far I think Oxford, Manchester and York are definite but I'm not sure where else. Have you got any more open days planned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept)
    Thank you for the reply

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm applying this year as well.

(Original post by JosephML)
    Even so, you want to be increasing your workload nearer to the exam not decreasing it because you have nothing left to do therefore stay away from the recent papers. I can give you some oxford entrance practice sheets if you really want stuff to do, although I don't have any solutions so I'll need to them myself but that's not really an issue.
    Please could you send me those sheets as well. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WinnerMachine12)
    Hi I'm applying this year as well.

Please could you send me those sheets as well. Thanks!
    No worries, I'll scan them in and the upload them on here.

ReputationRep:
    Okay that sounds good where did you find that info (source please)?

The tutor is exclusively for MAT I believe. I think we'll just be going through the longer questions that I haven't really focused on yet. First lesson on Weds, so we'll see how it goes!

Hmmm Bristol is a long way from me too, so I'm a little cautious to apply there to be honest. Although I do want to live away from home, I'm not sure I want to live that far away :L as for the talks, so far the only place I've been which has a specific 'Maths & Philosophy' session has been Oxford. That means I've had to go to one 'Maths' talk and another 'Philosophy' at the other unis - and the departments didn't really seem to know much about the joint course

I think all my options will be for Math/Phil too. the only problem I think I'll have will be filling the UCAS choices, since the course isn't that popular. So far I think Oxford, Manchester and York are definite but I'm not sure where else. Have you got any more open days planned?
    I found the information on https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fi...dback_2012.pdf. It's the feedback for 2012, kind of like an examiners report, just without actually referring to questions.

I went to oxford but didn't actually listen to the Maths and Philosophy talk (The trip was mostly about seeing colleges as opposed to open day with talks). How did you find it? Did they give any specific advice?

I haven't planned any more open days, but I've been generally browsing uni's that do the course. I haven't actually looked at York and Manchester as they are also quite far, but if I really can't anywhere else then I'll apply anyway. Theres only a few weeks left till everything is sent off, I'm a bit worried . Our school asks for oxbridge applicants to finish off their UCAS application by the 16th of september which gives me 16 days to really decide on Uni's and finish my PS :X

ReputationRep:
    I found the information on https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fi...dback_2012.pdf. It's the feedback for 2012, kind of like an examiners report, just without actually referring to questions.

I went to oxford but didn't actually listen to the Maths and Philosophy talk (The trip was mostly about seeing colleges as opposed to open day with talks). How did you find it? Did they give any specific advice?

I haven't planned any more open days, but I've been generally browsing uni's that do the course. I haven't actually looked at York and Manchester as they are also quite far, but if I really can't anywhere else then I'll apply anyway. Theres only a few weeks left till everything is sent off, I'm a bit worried . Our school asks for oxbridge applicants to finish off their UCAS application by the 16th of september which gives me 16 days to really decide on Uni's and finish my PS :X
    Awesome that's given me some stats to worry over for the next couple of months :L

Hmmm not really any advice as such, just running through the outline of the course as described on the Oxford website I seem to remember receiving a hand out of sample Philosophy interview questions, which I'll find and post if either of us is lucky enough to get an interview

Yup, that sounds similar to my school - I think it's the 15th September for us. At the moment I think my PS is pretty close to completion, but selecting the rest of my uni choices is still a worry

17 out of 90 for Math/Phil...that's even more of a worry :L

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.