Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    Not sure yet. My exam board (CCEA) doesn't offer it, so I'd have to see about how I'd get it under MEI or somewhere.
    Good luck. Let us know on this thread if you get an interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    Good luck. Let us know on this thread if you get an interview!
    Will do, cheers! I'm confident I'll get one, just waiting on the invite

ReputationRep:
    Ive only just seen this thread, and its making me so nervous about getting an interview. I thought my A*A*AA grades would at least get me an interview for phynatsci, considering one of the A's is two UMS off an A*! After reading this, Im not so sure :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilyCat)
    Ive only just seen this thread, and its making me so nervous about getting an interview. I thought my A*A*AA grades would at least get me an interview for phynatsci, considering one of the A's is two UMS off an A*! After reading this, Im not so sure :/
    I have exactly the same grades (seven UMS off an A* in one of my As too) and an admissions tutor said to me that he couldn't see why they wouldn't interview. Admittedly it's for English though and I think arts requirements may differ slightly, and it hasn't stopped me from being really nervous too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SixteenHundred)
    I have exactly the same grades (seven UMS off an A* in one of my As too) and an admissions tutor said to me that he couldn't see why they wouldn't interview. Admittedly it's for English though and I think arts requirements may differ slightly, and it hasn't stopped me from being really nervous too.
    Well, I asked an admissions tutor whether it would be worth retaking the module and he said it wouldnt be worth it as the close A wouldnt disadvantage my application. Its just after seeing this thread, Im not so sure anymore

ReputationRep:
    Well, I asked an admissions tutor whether it would be worth retaking the module and he said it wouldnt be worth it as the close A wouldnt disadvantage my application. Its just after seeing this thread, Im not so sure anymore
    He might also have said that the retake would not have affected the "UMS average" as it is the first year's result which counts. I think it almost certain you will get an interview unless your Science UMS is less than 85. If you have 2A* presumably it is high 80s low 90s? Whilst the average NatSci offer holder gets 3A* there are plenty admitted with only 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    He might also have said that the retake would not have affected the "UMS average" as it is the first year's result which counts. I think it almost certain you will get an interview unless your Science UMS is less than 85. If you have 2A* presumably it is high 80s low 90s? Whilst the average NatSci offer holder gets 3A* there are plenty admitted with only 2.
    Well, the module that prevented me getting an A* was an A2 module, so my A is actually 90.2% UMS, and my total UMS average is 95%, so would they just concentrate on the UMS which could be the same as someone who has 3 A*s or will they penalise the fact that the lower module is an A2 one? I've heard they look for improvement, in my case it's a slight downturn for that module

ReputationRep:
    Well, the module that prevented me getting an A* was an A2 module, so my A is actually 90.2% UMS, and my total UMS average is 95%, so would they just concentrate on the UMS which could be the same as someone who has 3 A*s or will they penalise the fact that the lower module is an A2 one? I've heard they look for improvement, in my case it's a slight downturn for that module
    If that's your overall A-level average (which I think we concluded is what they use rather than just A2 average) then I can't see why that wouldn't be good enough for an interview. If it's only a slight decrease then that's not showing serious inconsistency from AS to A2 which would be more of an issue I think. They do use 3 A*s as the autopool criteria for post-A applicants rather than UMS, but I think you have assume that because they asked for your UMS they will take it into consideration. At the end of the day trying to second guess them isn't going to go anywhere and you just have to wait out these next 2 weeks! (And be assured you're not the only one in this position!)

ReputationRep:
    ughhhhh why can't it be january already :bawling: not knowing is the worst

ReputationRep:
    Sent off my written work today! Express Delivery. If there's a problem, that's not good. Cutting it fine here.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatrickB)
    Sent off my written work today! Express Delivery. If there's a problem, that's not good. Cutting it fine here.

When's your deadline for it? I don't have to send written work til I'm notified as to whether I've got an interview. Hurry up Cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SixteenHundred)
    When's your deadline for it? I don't have to send written work til I'm notified as to whether I've got an interview. Hurry up Cambridge!
    Really? Must differ from College to college because King's is tomorrow! Ha!

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm in yr 13 atm and like someone else on the thread mentioned, Cambridge said that there'd be no point retaking the module that I didn't do well in first year, in chem. I should just do well in my 2nd year and get my A*s.

ReputationRep:
    The overall ranking does not distinguish different modules or AS v A2 and so your 95% is a good start. It looks to me as if your A2 module may well look a bit of a rogue. Yes it is a mild disadvantage compared to it having been 95% but I don't think they are that fussed about grade boundaries as such. You will get an interview and you must stand a reasonable chance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In the event that I get pooled, what will be the most predominant factor in determining whether or not I get fished? Will high UMS make up for an average/poor interview score, or is the latter the most important? Applying for maths, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    In the event that I get pooled, what will be the most predominant factor in determining whether or not I get fished? Will high UMS make up for an average/poor interview score, or is the latter the most important? Applying for maths, by the way.
    Because so many maths candidates have very high maths/physics UMS (verging on 100%) I suspect those who get pooled have high UMS and good interviews but the original college just has too any candidates. Don't forget that getting an offer is only half way through the process as there are twice as many offers as places for maths. What I remember from last years pool is that most maths people got fished very quickly by less popular colleges and almost nobody got reinterviewed. Huge numbers got pooled from Trinity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    Because so many maths candidates have very high maths/physics UMS (verging on 100%) I suspect those who get pooled have high UMS and good interviews but the original college just has too any candidates. Don't forget that getting an offer is only half way through the process as there are twice as many offers as places for maths. What I remember from last years pool is that most maths people got fished very quickly by less popular colleges and almost nobody got reinterviewed. Huge numbers got pooled from Trinity.
    I understand that. Would you say that, overall, those who get pooled for maths have a high chance of getting fished? Trying to get my head around the process.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I have 600/600 in maths (1st in NI), 583/600 further maths - I guess they're relatively high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    I understand that. Would you say that, overall, those who get pooled for maths have a high chance of getting fished? Trying to get my head around the process.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I have 600/600 in maths (1st in NI), 583/600 further maths - I guess they're relatively high.
    I wouldnt call it a high chance, but it's probably higher than most other subjects, seeing as the fishing colleges will just set a higher STEP level than needed if they are in doubt of a candidate. Plus twice as many get offers as places. Also I think interviews are considered more important than UMS as it is your way of thinking they are testing, a candidate can achieve high UMS without truly understanding the higher level maths.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt call it a high chance, but it's probably higher than most other subjects, seeing as the fishing colleges will just set a higher STEP level than needed if they are in doubt of a candidate. Plus twice as many get offers as places. Also I think interviews are considered more important than UMS as it is your way of thinking they are testing, a candidate can achieve high UMS without truly understanding the higher level maths.
    Ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! I applied to King's College for English and am currently in my gap year I'm hoping to get an interview so much!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.