Turn on thread page Beta

Face, looks, money and status is what attracts us. Not personality. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizlaz350)
    I'm in a long distance relationship, most of it is carried out by texts or instant messaging. If neither of us had the right personalities, we wouldn't last 5 mins together no matter what we looked like.

Even if we weren't long distance, personalities are still important. You can't spend that much time with someone you don't like even if they're good looking.

Looks obviously play a part but personality DOES matter, don't be stupid and say otherwise.
    You've never seen the person you are in a 'relationship' with?

ReputationRep:
    A person who is attractive will have to rely less on personality to find a partner and hence they will often value personality less, seeing looks as having more social value. This type of person will often make the mistake of getting themselves the best looking partner without focusing much on their personality and then they will learn over time that they've made a mistake if the personality isn't very nice. People will always value what their own particular forte is more. Personality is a better thing to focus on though as in the long term it's less likely to change than looks. In order to have sex with a person most people need to be attracted to the other person so looks do need to come into play for most people to some extent but the extent varies a lot. Peer pressure is also a major thing influencing a person's choice of partner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verana)
    You've never seen the person you are in a 'relationship' with?
    I see him regularly but there are long gaps between visits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabelle york)
    @Bold part, this is what I don't like about us women.

Your threshold for not looking like a cat was just dragged in is disproportionately high.

Pretend this man has all of the personal qualities that you describe. Does he meet your physical threshold? No? then he is equivalent to a cat being dragged in, and that is your average male...

http://i43.tinypic.com/1gjb87.jpg
    Am I looking at the same guy as the rest of the people?

He looks a bit younger than me (23) but I don't care, if he's someone I have a good time with then hell yes I'd date him. And i wouldn't date him just because of personality either, I don't like the testosterone-super-duper-man look. I hate it if a guy's even 50% as hairy as the beaver that lives downstream from my childhood home, I like it when a guy is clean shaven, and I hate it when guys have shaved/too short/too long hair. If it wasn't the fact that I am not attracted to (even though I can admit someone is good looking) the western style of man, I'd call myself shallow. Here's the thing though, I like quirky, different and a little less masculine than most, but if I met a great guy who looked like that I'd go out with him too. OP is just bitter, not all fish in the sea are the same.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2014
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.