Call to consider lowering age of consent for sex to 15. Watch

This discussion is closed.
joey11223
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Tbh I think a huge debate on whether it should be adjusted +/- a year or two is missing the bigger issue. The law written on paper over the age of consent really has no effect on what a 14-16 year old in a relationship with someone of their age group will or won't do, it's more to protect kids from being exploited by adults much older than them. It's more a cultural problem that we have, how you'd fix it I don't know. You have other European countries who do seem much less prudish about sex, having "the talk" with their kids etc, and they don't seem to suffer our stupidly high teenage pregnancy rates, so that might be one reason. It's the same with alcohol, we have a massive problem with teenagers and alcohol consumption, literally the majority of people I know do nothing bar "get wasted", that is their idea of a good time, that is what will ALWAYS be the answer to "what did you do at the weekend?", It's sort of sad tbh, it's all their lives revolve around. I'd be looked at as the odd one for indulging in my photography, or going to a nature reserve etc. I get people like different things, but if drinking alcohol until you're almost sick is all you live for...something just seems wrong. In other European countries it's much more relaxed when it comes to letting kids have a drink when they're with their families and such, then you have teenagers hanging around in...expresso bars. I think a lot of it is cultural influence that we get from the US of A.
Endo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 419)
Hey don't **** in me. I've long forgotten what you've yet to learn about the health care system here. Sex education in this country does need improving. Health promotion is impeccable though.

All I'm saying us that the points the guy gives for wanting to lower the age of consent focuses more on health promotion and education. So if he feels that's the problem, solve the direct issue and not go for an indirect issue that'll solve nothing but make pedos happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How, exactly, will lowering the age of consent promote health and education? What possible sense could that make?
gagaslilmonsteruk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally, I disagree with lowering the age. I understand it can get rid of a taboo and convince less people to do it. Much of Europe has the lower ages of consent than we do, Spain having the lowest in the world I believe. However, we are the worst country in Europe (or one of the worst) for teenage pregnancy and something needs to be done. Whilst some teens have done well and managed, others have not. It's a reality.

I also think that such a move would be harmful for the mental health of those questioning whether they are LGBT. At that age, I think they are particularly vulnerable whilst they figure out their identity. that's my opinion, though.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by karmacrunch)
Haha, I'm 14 and I think this is stupid. If anything it should be raised up to at least 18!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think 18 is too much.
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24976929
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.66%
The paper was reasonable (389)
46.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (156)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (107)
12.69%

Watched Threads