What is a good starting salary after graduation Watch

345rty
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd be disappointed with less than 30, which is still accepting a drop in my field from when I started studying.
-=|Jay|=-
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
Well I have a degree in Film and TV, I doubt that will enable me to get a working visa.
ANY degree is enough to get you a visa.

It's for immigration reasons, not for the job.

Additionally I know people who did physics and are teaching English.

(Original post by helpmekid)
Umm, So your a teacher there? Thats nice, can i ask what other benefits do you get? how is the area? the weather and the food

thanks
Return flight to and from your country. Free accommodation. 18 working days holiday plus 5 sick days. An extra week vacation if you renew your contract. Usually the standard 10-14 national holidays. A 2,000,000 contract renewal bonus (approximately £1100). A months extra pay for every year you work there - so 13 months pay for 12 months work.

When I walk out of the country I'll be handed my 600,000 apartment deposit, 1,300,000 airfare, 2,100,000 wages for my last month worked, and 4,200,000 severance pay. Essentially £4650 in a lump sum.

Last week I had 1 class out of 22 because my kids have finals exams they're preparing for.
This week I have 7 classes because 1 grade have finished their finals. The rest of the time I'm sitting at my desk studying Korean and other such activities.

You can really make bank if you're good at saving.

I don't think I could have traveled to Borneo, Taiwan, Japan, Jeju and around Korean, lived comfortably on my own AND saved £19,000 in 2 years doing much else as a 21-23 year old.
natninja
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by A-Dog)
Have you ever done minimum wage jobs?
I did, in the summer before I started uni and it was horrendous... motivation much...

So last summer I worked for a company and they payed me £9/hr and they gave me a pay rise and a job next summer which would work out at £20k per year if I were to be there the whole year round.
datpiff
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends where you are. If you're in e.g. Hull, Grimsby, Doncaster or any other northern ****hole then you'll struggle to get over 20k even. You'll struggle to even find a job! IMO there is definetly a north/South divide.

Also it depends on the sector. It's hard times for the public sector (a huge employer round here) so you could start pretty low down the pay scale.

(Original post by 345rty)
I'd be disappointed with less than 30, which is still accepting a drop in my field from when I started studying.
Expecting over 30k straight after graduation is crazy!! You'd be lucky if you get 20k!

I'd be more concerned about job security.

Also there is no shame in going for any minimum wage job after graduation in order to survive. Some grads feel a sense of embarrassment doing so, but in this economy it's understandable to most.

Posted from TSR Mobile
345rty
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by datpiff)
Depends where you are. If you're in e.g. Hull, Grimsby, Doncaster or any other northern ****hole then you'll struggle to get over 20k even. You'll struggle to even find a job! IMO there is definetly a north/South divide.

Also it depends on the sector. It's hard times for the public sector (a huge employer round here) so you could start pretty low down the pay scale.

Expecting over 30k straight after graduation is crazy!! You'd be lucky if you get 20k!

Also there is no shame in going for any minimum wage job after graduation in order to survive. Some grads feel a sense of embarrassment doing so, but in this economy it's understandable to most.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Professional degree with job more or less guaranteed, I know I'll be on over 20k unless I fail finals.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I started on £27,970 in Warrington for the public sector.

Dunno what you're smoking...
datpiff
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
I started on £27,970 in Warrington for the public sector.

Dunno what you're smoking...
Depends what you're doing. If you're in a sector experiencing a boom or one which is experiencing cuts. What was the job?

There are always exceptions to the rule but expecting 30k after graduation is crazy. 12k to 25k is realistic IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mimi112
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
man or woman?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends what you're doing. What was the job?

There are always exceptions to the rule but expecting 30k after graduation is crazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course it depends, so saying you'd struggle to get over £20k in the north or that expecting £30k is crazy is a bit barmy isn't it? It depends on the context.

IT in central Govt.

Edit
Oh you edited. Well have lower aspirations then, you can have an £18k job and I'll take the £28k one.
datpiff
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Of course it depends, so saying you'd struggle to get over £20k in the north or that expecting £30k is crazy is a bit barmy isn't it? It depends on the context.

IT in central Govt.

Edit
Oh you edited. Well have lower aspirations then, you can have an £18k job and I'll take the £28k one.
Lol

Listen *******... A degree means toss these days without the experience. It's not about having low aspirations it's about being realistic and gaining experience. Good luck to you and congrats, but you have to realise how lucky you are in this economic environment. It from my knowledge as well is a sector which is in a boom (correct me if I'm wrong)

It is because of the lower value of a degree these days that it's dangerous to suggest that students should expect £30k or around that after graduating. Fine if you have the experience, but for students with experience of just part time jobs and studies it's a journey from the bottom to the top.

http://superherosguide.files.wordpre...e-mcduck-3.jpg

I don't think it's barmy to suggest wages are usually higher in the south. To suggest otherwise is crazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MissDavies
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm hoping for £18k+ but I'm not particularly ambitious so around £25k is probably considered 'good.'
Maid Marian
Report 5 years ago
2 peanuts and a blue button.
If you're lucky, then a red button as well.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol

Listen *******... A degree means toss these days without the experience. It's not about having low aspirations it's about being realistic and gaining experience. Good luck to you and congrats, but you have to realise how lucky you are in this economic environment. It from my knowledge as well is a sector which is in a boom (correct me if I'm wrong)

It is because of the lower value of a degree these days that it's dangerous to suggest that students should expect £30k or around that after graduating. Fine if you have the experience, but for students with experience of just part time jobs and studies it's a journey from the bottom to the top.

http://superherosguide.files.wordpre...e-mcduck-3.jpg

I don't think it's barmy to suggest wages are usually higher in the south. To suggest otherwise is crazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No you're right, wages are typically higher in the south. As are living costs.

A degree has for a long while meant toss all without experience. But experience without a degree means toss all quite often too. If I hadn't had my degree I wouldn't have got through the automatic sift. Both degree and experience are important.

I didn't say all students should expect that, just that its not an invalid expectation of a particular student. There is a big difference there. To shout someone down becuase of their expectations is wrong. To shout down someone saying all students should expect £30k would be correct.

I don't really see how its in a boom, central Govt is cutting, particularly back office functions. It could be arged for grads you're right, replacing expensive people with grads is on the up, but the sector isn't booming.
magnetite
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Average here is about 50-60k in average graduate jobs. Mining and Oil and gas, most people aim for about 100k. IB base is around 100k, not sure about bonus (would be less than 50% though). Top tier law grads on about 70k. Engineers at good firms at about 60k or if they are on site/oil and gas then it would be 100k ish.

The problem we have is that you can be a trades assistant on an oil and gas site here and earn $150k (you work big hours, but you don't need any qualifications). That's what pushes up the cost of everything, as labour costs are so high.
Potally_Tissed
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by magnetite)
Average here is about 50-60k in average graduate jobs. Mining and Oil and gas, most people aim for about 100k. IB base is around 100k, not sure about bonus (would be less than 50% though). Top tier law grads on about 70k. Engineers at good firms at about 60k or if they are on site/oil and gas then it would be 100k ish.

The problem we have is that you can be a trades assistant on an oil and gas site here and earn $150k (you work big hours, but you don't need any qualifications). That's what pushes up the cost of everything, as labour costs are so high.
I notice your location is shown as Australia. Presumably these figures are in Australian dollars?
magnetite
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
I notice your location is shown as Australia. Presumably these figures are in Australian dollars?
NOK actually.
Potally_Tissed
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
NOK actually.
Of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
magnetite
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
AUD of course. Even if it was USD it'd be +/-10% anyway.
Potally_Tissed
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
AUD of course. Even if it was USD it'd be +/-10% anyway.
Indeed, just not immediately obvious (especially on mobile as you can't see peoples location) and all other amounts in this thread are in GBP :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
magnetite
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
Indeed, just not immediately obvious (especially on mobile as you can't see peoples location) and all other amounts in this thread are in GBP :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're supposed to insult me and start a petty argument.

But yeh they are. AUD4LYFE
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (189)
22.74%
The paper was reasonable (383)
46.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (154)
18.53%
It was TERRIBLE (105)
12.64%

Watched Threads