Bags taking up seats on trains Watch

desdemonata
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Btw just going to point out here that on most train services they're meant to sell as many tickets as they have seats (longer haul journeys, virgin and cross country trains, etc). There is no space to have people standing and if people are standing, they're overbooked or people haven't bought tickets.

So actually if you're on that train with a ticket you are actually entitled to a seat. As you can imagine for a journey that is over an hour they couldn't expect someone to stand for that time. The services that have trolleys coming through the aisles also don't want people standing in the way.

(Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
x
awkward to quote you on my phone. But as someone who gets a train every other weekend if not more I find it bemusing to think you don't expect a seat to be included for a train journey.
desdemonata
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TattyBoJangles)
I don't generally have an issue with it as I'll just ask them to move their bag. A simple, "Hi, do you mind if I sit here?" is all you need. Unless they turn around and say, "Yes, I would mind, go away."

I found it more annoying on the train on Sunday (the 4 hour train from Birmingham to Edinburgh) when I was sat at a 4-seater thing around a table and a girl got on and put her massive bag under the seat, giving me hardly any leg room and squashing my feet. I asked her if she wanted help moving it to the luggage rack, to which she responded, "Oh, no, it's fine thanks."
):<
I was on that train Well, I was on one that sat there for no conceivable reason until half past with the doors open and the carriage letters not showing up.

Tables are always risky. I never book table seats because I know for sure people will nick them and pile their stuff up all around.
TattyBoJangles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by desdemonata)
I was on that train Well, I was on one that sat there for no conceivable reason until half past with the doors open and the carriage letters not showing up.

Tables are always risky. I never book table seats because I know for sure people will nick them and pile their stuff up all around.
Same train! I wasn't sure whether to be amused or annoyed at the conductor who kept rambling over the tannoy about the delay. But he organised taxis for us unlucky sods who missed our connection at Haymarket so can't complain too much.

Ah, I always reserve a seat at a table one as I bring uni work with me and balancing a ring binder is a lot easier on a table than on my lap.
I've had a few awkward moments when someone's sat in my reserved seat but I've generally got over the awkwardness of asking them to move (although I sometimes feel bad as I book window seats).
desdemonata
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TattyBoJangles)
Same train! I wasn't sure whether to be amused or annoyed at the conductor who kept rambling over the tannoy about the delay. But he organised taxis for us unlucky sods who missed our connection at Haymarket so can't complain too much.

Ah, I always reserve a seat at a table one as I bring uni work with me and balancing a ring binder is a lot easier on a table than on my lap.
I've had a few awkward moments when someone's sat in my reserved seat but I've generally got over the awkwardness of asking them to move (although I sometimes feel bad as I book window seats).
I ended up in the wrong carriage hah. But the seat reservation details took forever to come up after we'd started moving, and then said they were all available anyway :dontknow:

Yeah my first few trips I felt too awkward and stood. Now I know better and I just ask

:ninja: wonder if I saw you.
Raiden10
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I once saw a train pull into the station, the doors opened, nobody got on, nobody got off, and there were loads of bags on the seats but no people. The train pulled away and left.

The Sun shining in my eyes, I didn't get a look at who was driving.
ChocoCoatedLemons
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just tell them to move it. I don't ask, because it's simply not a request.
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Should be a criminal offence.
deedee123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would always remove my bag if the train got busy or someone was hovering around looking for a seat, you can usually tell that they want to sit there unless you're extremely dense.
infairverona
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I paid for a ticket, your bag didn't. It doesn't warrant a whole seat to itself. If the train isn't very full then sure but if someone wants to sit there who has paid for a ticket, no.
Kutta
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
by the time i ask them i am already pointing my butt in the direction of the seat so they have no choice.....But thats only when I am REALLY tired, normally if there are no seats i just stand I don't like sitting next to strangers no matter how attractive they are.
OMGWTFBBQ
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ckingalt)
I usually prefer to stand when I am in crowded spaces. However, If I did choose to sit, I may occupy the seat next to me with a bag in order to prevent any undesirables from sitting next to me. I would pretend to be oblivious to my inconsiderate actions until an attractive female came along. If there were no hotties around, then I would settle for someone clean. Once a suitable train neighbor approached, I would suddenly realize I was thoughtlessly hoarding a seat unnecessarily and promptly apologize while offering them a seat. Such behavior may be selfish, but there are just some really skeevy people on public transport.
.. who have all paid to be there, so you should get over yourself.
Little Wolf Taima
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you've seen the recent news articles about the impossibility of getting on the Northern line at 8am , then you know what a packed train is like. I get panic attacks and have been knocked over too many times on the carriages...

There is NEVER a seat... so I put my bag on the floor and sit on it, seeing as I can't even reach the hand rails.
ckingalt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
.. who have all paid to be there, so you should get over yourself.
You must be one of them.
wildrover
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thoyub)
They might have their reasons, maybe not wanting people to sit next to them? If i'm on a train, there's always some trampy person with a beard who smells of alcohol, cigarette smoke and BO who always has to sit next to or near me. No thanks, i'd rather sit next to my bag.
They should pay for two tickets then.
thoyub
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by wildrover)
They should pay for two tickets then.
No way. They shouldn't let people who have bad hygiene or who smell bad on trains. I pay for a ticket because I want to get somewhere, not to have some low life sit next to me (especially when there are other empty seats!) and sit there smelling of urine or god knows what else.

I will happily give the seat to any decent respectable looking person if there are no other seats with an available seat beside them. But I don't pay to sit next to someone who doesn't bother to wear deodorant or to shower.
Truefaith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No way. They shouldn't let people who have bad hygiene or who smell bad on trains. I pay for a ticket because I want to get somewhere, not to have some low life sit next to me (especially when there are other empty seats!) and sit there smelling of urine or god knows what else.

I will happily give the seat to any decent respectable looking person if there are no other seats with an available seat beside them. But I don't pay to sit next to someone who doesn't bother to wear deodorant or to shower.
Then get up and move.

Posted from TSR Mobile
zedeneye1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ckingalt)
I usually prefer to stand when I am in crowded spaces. However, If I did choose to sit, I may occupy the seat next to me with a bag in order to prevent any undesirables from sitting next to me. I would pretend to be oblivious to my inconsiderate actions until an attractive female came along. If there were no hotties around, then I would settle for someone clean. Once a suitable train neighbor approached, I would suddenly realize I was thoughtlessly hoarding a seat unnecessarily and promptly apologize while offering them a seat. Such behavior may be selfish, but there are just some really skeevy people on public transport.
so do you carry two bags just to make sure no "skeevy" person sits on either side of your seat?
desdemonata
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zedeneye1)
so do you carry two bags just to make sure no "skeevy" person sits on either side of your seat?
What train do you go on that has sets of 3 seats either side of the aisle :eyeball:
desdemonata
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

They don't pay to have someone refuse them a seat.
zedeneye1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by desdemonata)
What train do you go on that has sets of 3 seats either side of the aisle :eyeball:
subway train ?

Name:  subway-300x199.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  25.7 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (201)
22.04%
The paper was reasonable (388)
42.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (175)
19.19%
It was TERRIBLE (148)
16.23%

Watched Threads