(Original post by William Turtle)
Yes please.
Me too...
rmhumphries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The CT should feel privileged - this is the first time I have changed my avatar since I joined in 2008!
Kallisto
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rmhumphries)
The CT should feel privileged - this is the first time I have changed my avatar since I joined in 2008!
You have my respect that you decided to do this. Members like you show how important this week against bullying is.
Tortious
Badges: 16
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
:wavey:
As promised. :hat2:

Name:  Birkenhead_ABW_100x100.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  3.5 KB
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Done, never changed my avatar before :cool:
TheGirlNextDoor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Done, never changed my avatar before :cool:
Didn't you have some skeleton thing before? What was it again?
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheGirlNextDoor)
Didn't you have some skeleton thing before? What was it again?
Yup some Skeleton sat on a beach kinda thing
TheGirlNextDoor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Yup some Skeleton sat on a beach kinda thing
Yes, I'm still hot on the avatar game :cool:

Going back to that after this week?
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, I'm still hot on the avatar game :cool:

Going back to that after this week?
I might be daring and change it. Been meaning to for years but never really got round to it
TheGirlNextDoor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
I might be daring and change it. Been meaning to for years but never really got round to it
What would you change it to? Don't think I'll ever change mine, but I might do sometime in the future :moon:
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What would you change it to? Don't think I'll ever change mine, but I might do sometime in the future :moon:
Not a clue, endless possibilities
TheGirlNextDoor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Not a clue, endless possibilities
Can't argue with that I'll just have to remember your new avatar for when I play the avatar game :lol:
Ggmu!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, we can finally wave goodbye to bullying now!
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can an internet forum possibly have an anti-bullying campaign? Doesn't matter what forum you're in, there's always at least one mod who's a bully, often more, and the other mods or admins are well aware of it. If you want to help stop a global issue, start with yourself and go from there.
rmhumphries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
Can an internet forum possibly have an anti-bullying campaign? Doesn't matter what forum you're in, there's always at least one mod who's a bully, often more, and the other mods or admins are well aware of it. If you want to help stop a global issue, start with yourself and go from there.
If any particular mod was a bully, the Community Team would deal with it pretty much as soon as it was reported. If for no other reason, but bad PR like that (with actual proof) could be damaging to TSR's reputation.

However, being 'picked on' because your rule breaking posts are deleted does not mean you are being bullied.
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rmhumphries)
If any particular mod was a bully, the Community Team would deal with it pretty much as soon as it was reported. If for no other reason, but bad PR like that (with actual proof) could be damaging to TSR's reputation.

However, being 'picked on' because your rule breaking posts are deleted does not mean you are being bullied.
Kind of stating the obvious there with the second paragraph. We'd all like to believe the first is true. This is not a TSR-specific problem, it is a problem with the concept itself. On the large scale, we see it with politicians. They have the ability to fiddle expenses, so they do. It's easy to just brush off any complaints as 'moaning' about being moderated, rather than someone having to put up with actually being targeted. Perhaps 1,000 people are just moaning, but 1 might not. In fact, this is what bullied people in real life often have to deal with. Being thought of as exaggerating or moaning.

Anyone who's been on any large forum long enough knows there are mods that break the rules to get rid of people they personally do not like, often in the form of mass-moderating old posts as 'spam' or 'trolling' to reach a point limit that results in a ban. Only a fool would not see that as abuse. This site has not been an exception in the past. When one account is having every on-topic post deleted within seconds in one specific thread pseudo-run by a mod, yet the same person going on another account posting the same gets no moderations, there is clearly abuse of the system happening. Mods are usually friends, or it's just enough that they're in the same higher-class group together (a class system encouraged by the 'regular' users perhaps moreso than the mods themselves), it is inevitable they will subconsciously have each other's back. A mod will often feel a sleight on the character of one mod, even one they do not know, is a sleight on them personally, and get incredibly offended. (Though one has to wonder why someone entirely innocent would relate to it)

Out of interest, I don't know if you know, how many moderators on this site have had their moderation abilities removed due to abuse since its existence? The site's been around for over a decade, it must've had a large number of mods in this time, so the number of expelled mods should be notable, as humans are fallible and it is an inevitability. If no mod's been found out to be abusing their 'powers', that would be alarming.

P.S. Remember when we had an 'Ask A Moderator' forum? Couldn't be publicly viewed. What was there to hide?
Tortious
Badges: 16
Report 5 years ago
Apologies if this doesn't make much sense (it is 3am after all!), but I thought I'd pick up on a few things here. I've only been a moderator for about a month or so now, so I know enough about how it all works but without the same...allegiance to other members of the team that you suggest is problematic later in your post.

(Original post by ozzyoscy)
Kind of stating the obvious there with the second paragraph. We'd all like to believe the first is true. This is not a TSR-specific problem, it is a problem with the concept itself. On the large scale, we see it with politicians. They have the ability to fiddle expenses, so they do. It's easy to just brush off any complaints as 'moaning' about being moderated, rather than someone having to put up with actually being targeted. Perhaps 1,000 people are just moaning, but 1 might not. In fact, this is what bullied people in real life often have to deal with. Being thought of as exaggerating or moaning.
I appreciate what you're saying about the propensity of a moderation team to dismiss a targeted user's complaints. However, I think TSR is pretty good at ensuring there's a chain of accountability. Moderation policies are clearly drafted so that we know how particular situations should be dealt with, and users' warning histories are visible by all mods so it's possible to keep track of all of the warnings given. Naturally Section Leaders upwards have the ability to see individual mod actions too, so even if an unscrupulous mod decided to remove a user's posts without warning them this would soon be noticed. Section Mods are subject to monthly reviews by their supervising Section Leaders, so there's an incentive not to abuse their powers.

Similarly, the Ask A Moderator forum still exists (here), and if a user's not satisfied with the response received from the mod who issued the warning then the matter can be escalated to (two) Section Leaders, the Community team, and even TSR Group staff. The TSRG staff aren't present on the site in the same way as the Community team are, so they're in a better position to make judgement calls because they have an extra level of detachment from the user.

Anyone who's been on any large forum long enough knows there are mods that break the rules to get rid of people they personally do not like, often in the form of mass-moderating old posts as 'spam' or 'trolling' to reach a point limit that results in a ban. Only a fool would not see that as abuse. This site has not been an exception in the past. When one account is having every on-topic post deleted within seconds in one specific thread pseudo-run by a mod, yet the same person going on another account posting the same gets no moderations, there is clearly abuse of the system happening. Mods are usually friends, or it's just enough that they're in the same higher-class group together (a class system encouraged by the 'regular' users perhaps moreso than the mods themselves), it is inevitable they will subconsciously have each other's back. A mod will often feel a sleight on the character of one mod, even one they do not know, is a sleight on them personally, and get incredibly offended. (Though one has to wonder why someone entirely innocent would relate to it)
I've touched on the issue of unscrupulous mods above, but the best way to ensure that like infractions are treated alike is to report the rule-breaking posts you see. I'm a Careers mod and often have to deal with people bickering in off-topic arguments, but my job's made a lot harder by only one party reporting the posts and complaining that they're being abused. I haven't had any AAMs about "why wasn't he warned and I was?" yet, but if two of you have engaged in an argument and only one's been warned chances are I just haven't seen the other user's offending posts.

As for the part in bold, I don't agree (although I'm an aspiring lawyer, so my level of detachment from my accused is probably higher than normal ). I value my integrity more than my "friendships" with internet people I don't see that often, so I wouldn't hesitate to query my colleague's decision if I didn't think it was the right one in the circumstances. I'm not the only mod to take this approach - in the event that any of us are unsure as to how to deal with a situation we'll discuss it and arrive at a collective decision. I've been in the minority (and actually persuaded Section Leaders of my position) a few times now, so I think everyone on the team recognises that we're not infallible.

Out of interest, I don't know if you know, how many moderators on this site have had their moderation abilities removed due to abuse since its existence? The site's been around for over a decade, it must've had a large number of mods in this time, so the number of expelled mods should be notable, as humans are fallible and it is an inevitability. If no mod's been found out to be abusing their 'powers', that would be alarming.
I'm not in a position to discuss this in detail since it's before my time and it wouldn't be appropriate, but I'm fairly confident that certain incidents have resulted in objective close scrutiny of moderators' actions. As you say, statistically it should've happened by now.
forgottenlife
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Done.

Excellent cause. Proud to give support!
Damsel in distress
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I see how some people are concerned about how changing a mere avatar on a website is going to do anything about the problem. I, too, am skeptical. However, I don't see the disadvantage of doing so. "Ok, I changed my avatar, now what, TSR?" It's not like it's going to degrade the seriousness of the issue that bullying is or anything. It's important in that it shows solidarity! You have to start somewhere. I think we cannot simply eliminate bullying in a bang, let alone us teenagers (most of us). Especially not if we think taking baby steps is "pointless". It is a moral crime and it cannot be eliminated unless done at a grass root level which should be every single human's responsibility, the responsibility to offer help somehow if they ever witness such a thing happen in front of them. By showing solidarity, those who are bullied get a message that yes, if I report a problem, I will be taken seriously by at least someone. That there is help available. This is a relatively small community and not all those bullied in the world will get this message but then, again, we should start somewhere. It also tells our fellow humans that bullying is an actual problem and not just something to dismiss as a trivial personal issue because most people don't even reach out for help as they fear being made fun of or worse which has disastrous results. This is just what I think and of course, everyone is free to disagree and propose a better solution or explain why anti-bullying week is detrimental.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (143)
21.22%
The paper was reasonable (329)
48.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (126)
18.69%
It was TERRIBLE (76)
11.28%

Watched Threads