Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On a separate note, OP, Arabic is not on my list at the moment because I can get by with French in North Africa and English the Middle East if on business

That said, there is a Syrian sister at the Masjid I want to impress :-p

ReputationRep:
    French, German, Spanish etc. make more sense to learn as they are the languages of countries surrounding the UK - logically more people from the UK will go there to visit/holiday and therefore a better understanding of those languages is more beneficial compared to the fewer numbers that visit Arabian countries.

ReputationRep:
    I agree learning Arabic is very important for the future. But pretty much every language is more important to learn than French, so that isn't exactly saying much...

ReputationRep:
    Arabic is hard. I can speak to languages fluently and I still need to carry on my Japanese studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    Oh look a generalisation.
    Mauritania
    I think the best ones so far are the "terrorist culture" comment and "I dont ever wanna go Saudi" because obviously Saudi is the only place where they speak Arabic.

The stupidity and bigotry on this forum continues to be amaze me.
    Countries where Arabic is an official language:

Algeria (y), Bahrain (y,1), Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt (y), Eritrea, Iraq (y, 200+), Jordan (y), Kuwait (y, 1), Lebanon (y), Libya (y, 18+), Morocco (y?), Oman (y), Palestine (y, 6), Qatar, Saudi Arabia (y,180+), Somalia (y, 24+), Sudan (y, 33), Syria (y, 18), Tunisia (y), United Arab Emirates (y, 1), Yemen (y, 94+).

The brackets show the ones who still use the death penalty, and the number of people killed by it in the past 3 years. A number of them still use public executions. Safe to say most of them are pretty backwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    Countries where Arabic is an official language:

Algeria (y), Bahrain (y,1), Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt (y), Eritrea, Iraq (y, 200+), Jordan (y), Kuwait (y, 1), Lebanon (y), Libya (y, 18+), Morocco (y?), Oman (y), Palestine (y, 6), Qatar, Saudi Arabia (y,180+), Somalia (y, 24+), Sudan (y, 33), Syria (y, 18), Tunisia (y), United Arab Emirates (y, 1), Yemen (y, 94+).

The brackets show the ones who still use the death penalty, and the number of people killed by it in the past 3 years. A number of them still use public executions. Safe to say most of them are pretty backwards.
    I don't care, I strongly support the death penalty.

Perhaps you should start discouraging people from going to Japan, USA and China as well if you're going to use that logic.

ReputationRep:
    Would never want to visit most Arabic countries cause of their disgraceful treatment of women and also the death penalty as above user mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    It don't see why it should be top priority; I think introducing Mandarin from a younger age would be of greater value concerning economic benefits of knowing an extra language. Until someone can [statically] tell me otherwise, I'd also say learning German would provide better connections than Arabic.
    I bet it is interesting and valuable, just not key.

Frankly, I suck at languages - Blah :<.

ReputationRep:
    I have no intention of speaking to Arabs in an language that isn't English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-Mudaari)

1. Never say never, there may be a time when you'll regret not having learned it.

2. "Socially backwards" is quite a subjective observance given the same can be applied to many westernised practices.

3. Funnily enough, you say you wouldn't go to these countries, but those countries potentially may never even let you in
    If a country is culturally homophobic and if a person is dissuaded from traveling to a country or not allowed in because of their sexuality, that is socially backwards. The difference between your definition of socially backwards and ours is that ours is 21st century, yours is somewhere in the 15th century. And that's me being generous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elohssa)
    But what if Saudi Arabia comes to you?
    We'll take the oil but not the religious conservatism, thanks.

(Original post by TheLegendHimself)
    Arabic actually sounds like a very interesting language to learn, unlike French.
    I think French is just as interesting. It's spoken in a fair few countries and it can be used it to woo the opposite sex.

ReputationRep:
    Mandarin, fair enough. I can see why that could be considered important for the future, with China on the brink of becoming the next big global superpower. Arabic not so much...

ReputationRep:
    it just sounds like 2 cats in a bag

but if you read the report it actually says we'd be better of learning Spanish.

But as we have English as our first language we can already communicate with most of the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)
    lol at Ignorance on this thread......
    well, thats what al jazeera football commentators would make you believe...

ReputationRep:
    No for me, thanks.

- One of the hardest languages to learn, I hear.
    - If I was gonna learn a language that hard, it'd be Chinese as it's more useful and i'd actually like to go to China.
    - Don't really have the intention of going to many Arabic countries, not for a long duration anyway, so I wouldn't wanna spend a lot of my time learning it.
    - Don't think it should take priority over French or German, but having the option for people who want to learn it at some schools would be good.
    - I'd rather learn a Scandinavian language to be fair. Although it seems pretty much pointless sometimes, considering most of them can speak pretty much fluent english.

ReputationRep:
    The British are lazy when it comes to learning foreign languages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    If a country is culturally homophobic and if a person is dissuaded from traveling to a country or not allowed in because of their sexuality, that is socially backwards. The difference between your definition of socially backwards and ours is that ours is 21st century, yours is somewhere in the 15th century. And that's me being generous.
    Wasn't same sex sexual activity illegal in the UK only around 50 years ago?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    I have absolutely no intention of learning Arabic. It's not like I'm going to need it seeing as the countries that speak it are as socially backwards as the writing direction and I have no intention of ever visiting them.
    Racist mod. You admit you have no idea what you're blabbing about, you make a statement of reality yet have never experienced in your reality, life in an arab country.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want more people to speak Arabic. I like it this way and don't care wether you think it sounds violent or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomadinthecity92)
    The British are lazy when it comes to learning foreign languages.
    Because nearly everyone else knows ours

This just shows how successful we have been.

Language envy is such a funny thing

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.