Undercover soldiers 'killed unarmed civilians in Belfast' Watch

Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GR3YFOXXX)
He would have been a pariah in his own town. Why should he wear it just to make a few English people happy?
For the reasons I just said. To recognise all those Irish/Northern Irish troops who served in WW1&2 - and there were many thousands of them. To recognise the recent losses of those men in Afghanistan.
To the minds of many there are more reasons to wear one than not to.
And on the bit about being "a pariah in his own town", did you not read any of my last paragraph? How does forever living in the past help the future of NI?
GR3YFOXXX
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
For the reasons I just said. To recognise all those Irish/Northern Irish troops who served in WW1&2 - and there were many thousands of them. To recognise the recent losses of those men in Afghanistan.
To the minds of many there are more reasons to wear one than not to.
And on the bit about being "a pariah in his own town", did you not read any of my last paragraph? How does forever living in the past help the future of NI?
Your point is ridiculous. The money raised in the poppy appeal goes toward soldiers who've served in Northern Ireland, those same soldiers who've killed civilians here. Why would a man from Derry ever want to be seen endorsing that? I can respect your right to wear one, I can respect your right of remembrance, I can respect your traditions. But that doesn't mean that, in a progressive society, I will ever want to wear one. Would you wear an Easter Lilly?

James is from Derry, the Army murdered 14 civilians here and lied about it for 40 years. James would be shunned if he wore a poppy! Would you wear a red crescent in commemoration of those Taliban fighters who died in Afghanistan? Given that now the war is over? In the name of progress? It's not about living in the past it's about being sensitive to it.
GR3YFOXXX
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by arson_fire)
To put that in perspective - the IRA had secret death squads that killed:

621 Civilians
465 Soldiers
190 UDR reservists
272 Police officers
14 Retired police officers
6 British police officers
20 Prison officers
2 Retired prison officers
6 Gardai
1 Irish soldier

and injured:

est 6,000 Soldiers, reservists, and police officers,
est 14,000 civilians
Okay, and what share of the 100,000+ civilian dead in Iraq would the British Army like to lay claim to?

Don't be so ridiculous, this is not a time for whataboutery.
GR3YFOXXX
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

621 Civilians
465 Soldiers
190 UDR reservists
272 Police officers
20 Prison officers
6 Gardai
1 Irish soldier

and injured:

est 14,000 civilians
For the record the 10 referred to above are not all of the army civilian deaths...
GR3YFOXXX
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Off topic.
My point exactly. Why are you bringing the IRA into a discussion around the illegal action of supposedly neutral arbitrator?
GR3YFOXXX
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My point being people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
How have you made that point? If you are advocating that the IRA and the British Army occupy the same plane of morality, then I agree entirely.
Sharpshooter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

621 Civilians
465 Soldiers
190 UDR reservists
272 Police officers
20 Prison officers
6 Gardai
1 Irish soldier

and injured:

est 14,000 civilians
The difference is the IRA are scum and are outlawed in the Republic of Ireland. Holding PIRA membership in Ireland got your a five year prison sentence.

The British Army are highly regarded within Britain and NATO, for you to equate them as the same sort of people shows your idiocy, that because an illegal terrorist organisation that kills innocent people deliberately, its ok for a respected internationally recognised army to do so as well, are you mental?
GR3YFOXXX
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Where did I say it was OK? I`m simply pointing out the hypocracy of the republicans to make such a fuss about 10 of theirs who may or may not have been killed by the army.
They definitely were killed by the army. They weren't republicans they were innocent civilians. As if their political opinion denigrated such a status.
pol pot noodles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You're clearly biased, you don't even come close to understanding the subject matter or the legacy issues. Your poppy argument is back tracking. He was verbally attacked because of his choice.
I know he was, not by me. You seem to keep trying to make points that I'm not disputing and ultimately have very little to do with the original post of mine that you quoted.

No, I'll think you find it does
So, just to make this clear, if a completely ridiculous, asanine and retarded phrase is repeated in the media a few times then that makes it a legitimate thing to say?

Hong Kong may be involved because it was formally a part of the Empire... same goes for the commonwealth. The main point you ignored, principally Ireland and the fact that it is principally a British tradition
No, the main point is that it isn't a mutually British thing, and having proven you wrong you've now moved the goal posts, with countries that clearly aren't the UK now being conveniently ignored because they were part of the Empire (which so was Ireland). Ultimately you've yet to reveal how any of this pointless nationalistic gibber-jabber ramble on your part is relevant to the original point, which was that McClean could have decided to show some respect and honour Irish war veterans instead, and prove that Northern Ireland has moven on from that horrible past, if he was so inclined.

I haven't changed the meaning, hence the brackets...(conveniently ignored)
How on Earth do the brackets change the fact that the word is completely redundant? The war in Iraq was neither colonial or neo-colonial in nature. Have you changed the meaning of what brackets are as well?
GR3YFOXXX
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pol pot noodles)
I know he was, not by me. You seem to keep trying to make points that I'm not disputing and ultimately have very little to do with the original post of mine that you quoted.

So, just to make this clear, if a completely ridiculous, asanine and retarded phrase is repeated in the media a few times then that makes it a legitimate thing to say?
It's a widely used phrase. Stop talking nonsense. Many neologisms are coined by the media and/or popular culture

No, the main point is that it isn't a mutually British thing, and having proven you wrong you've now moved the goal posts, with countries that clearly aren't the UK now being conveniently ignored because they were part of the Empire (which so was Ireland). Ultimately you've yet to reveal how any of this pointless nationalistic gibber-jabber ramble on your part is relevant to the original point, which was that McClean could have decided to show some respect and honour Irish war veterans instead, and prove that Northern Ireland has moven on from that horrible past, if he was so inclined.

Mutually British thing? What does that even mean. The poppy appeal is a British charity, celebrated principally in Britain. End of.
He was showing respect to the numerous victims of the British army in his home town. A respect that trumps any English sentimentality.

How on Earth do the brackets change the fact that the word is completely redundant? The war in Iraq was neither colonial or neo-colonial in nature. Have you changed the meaning of what brackets are as well?

Talk about asinine arguments^ Iraq has clearly been documented by numerous observers as a colonial legacy war with neocolonialist underpinnings. Entirely off-topic but your nonsense remarks deserved addressing
See above.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (186)
30%
The paper was reasonable (252)
40.65%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
17.42%
It was TERRIBLE (74)
11.94%

Watched Threads