Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    I can think of Nigerian culture, Jamaican culture, etc. There really is no such thing as "black culture", and I'm not just saying that to be liberal and correct.

That's why the guy saying white people have no culture is so off the mark. There are so many different white countries each with their own culture that what you're saying makes no sense.
    I couldn't have said it better.

ReputationRep:
    I actually have so much to say on this but all my opinions are roaming around in my head trying to organise themselves into something that makes sense but it's not working...

ReputationRep:
    eeeeeeeeeeeeerm no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerd2)
    Found it:

Lol it's soo wrong, but ****ing hilarious!!
    That's the one :rofl:

Funniest **** ever

ReputationRep:
    Do you generally associate the Black British culture, in this country, with rap, hip hop and sport?
    No, I think that is an embarrassingly tired cliche.

Do you think your opinion is influenced by the media(e.g BBC News)
    Through various kinds of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc) I think young adults are pretty well educated these days about what is fact and what is a negative stereotype. My personal opinion is not affected by news or journalistic media.

Depending on where you live, are the Black British people you know perfect examples of the stereotypes the media represent?
    I live in Glasgow, and that's a definite no. Everybody is different, but for the most part Black British people are just British people to me. Normal.

ReputationRep:
    Come on riko-liko it's a bit unfair to say White people don't have culture. Anyways I believe I'm not a stereotypical black guy I try hardest to stay away from those stereotypes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Come on riko-liko it's a bit unfair to say White people don't have culture. Anyways I believe I'm not a stereotypical black guy I try hardest to stay away from those stereotypes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not unfair ,it's just the truth

ReputationRep:
    I believe there is such a thing as black culture...
    But I think especially those who have family from the same area ie African tend to bond because they have things in common.
    For example, my mum's originally Nigerian and my dad's English
    My mum talks SO loud on the phone round the house in general. I think this is just because of Nigerian culture, so naturally I talk loud with my friends.
    From the outside it looks so ghetto and people are like why are black people so wild and loud but there is a reason.
    In terms of the media I do feel that it does influence Black British behavior. With the rap and hip hop side of things, because it sounds good and some Black British people look up to them as they are similar to them even if it is in a superficial skin colour way. As a result, they try and imitate them. However, a lot of White British people do the same.
    BBC definitely influences this, 'gang-like' association with Black people. It doesn't help though because if you label people they tend to act according to this label. Think about Zimbardo's experiment. :|

round my area black people match this stereotype. I'm from ESSEX

ReputationRep:
    ^^^Well I'll be damned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerd2)
    Found it:

Lol it's soo wrong, but ****ing hilarious!!
    Not seen this in time!

****ing hilarious

"He'll be indistinguishable from a negro!…..Anything but that!" :laugh:

***** did i just catch you wanting be ****.

"re-vitiligo"

ReputationRep:
    Black culture is exaggerated tbf because black people are not all the same . For instance most blacks in england are either caribbean or african . And although we were the same for thousands of years we are no longer the same now . However there are certain aspects of black culture that i think both of us will agree on even though they are probably on a minuscule scale . I,e the black struggle,grime music,estate banter,black slang etc.. All in all though there is no one black culture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riko-loko)
    It's not unfair ,it's just the truth
    Maybe because they opened their floodgates to the world and lost their culture in the process ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah60000)
    Black British is a stupid term we are either British or not. As it is a non-racial identity.

Anyway the so-called "black British" culture depends on where your grandparents or parents hauled from in the diaspora. However, one thing we share is music (that best and percussion) genres like grime and garage and so on.

Along, with our informal speech we use aka slang. Now it has been adopted mainstream in the dominant society among your people, especially in urban areas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends who you ask .Most blacks and indeed asians identify with our ancestors "motherlands"

ReputationRep:
    We are associated with Hip Hop/Grime etc and being underachievers. I would primarily put this down to the Governments of the past and present, but it has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Black minorities think the only way to riches is through media or sport. This thinking prevents us from climbing the social ladder, however we can't climb it alone, reform in inner city schools is desperately needed to help, and I'm not talking just music and sports programmes, which just reinforces stereotypes.

ReputationRep:
    Why do some black people say that it is okay for black people to use the N word, but it isn't when other races use the word in a non-offensive way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurtisDean)
    Why do some black people say that it is okay for black people to use the N word, but it isn't when other races use the word in a non-offensive way?
    Tbh how often do you hear blacks in england use that word……….

Why would you feel the need to say the word.

The assumption that if a few black people use the word, that all black people are comfortable with the word is so annoying. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceguy95)
    Tbh how often do you hear blacks in england use that word……….

Why would you feel the need to say the word.

The assumption that if a few black people use the word, that all black people are comfortable with the word is so annoying. :rolleyes:
    I live in London, where I have witnessed the word being used sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo much, oh my gosh. So many different races using the word, although more recently it seems like people that aren't black have been using the word more and more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurtisDean)
    I live in London, where I have witnessed the word being used sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo much, oh my gosh. So many different races using the word, although more recently it seems like people that aren't black have been using the word more and more
    Use the word then, no ones stopping you smh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceguy95)
    Use the word then, no ones stopping you smh
    Who said I wanted to use the word? haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.a.u)
    There's no such thing. It's urban working class culture that just happens to be wrongly attributed to all black people. The practice of labelling things as 'black culture' has created a self-fulfilling prophecy by which working class black youth buy into it, and perpetuate these practices. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with poverty, social exclusion, and lack of educational opportunities.
    THANK YOU. I was raging out until i read this. Half the people in my area who follow the "black stereotype" are actually Turkish. No such thing as black culture.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.