Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel Economics Unit 4 Global Economy Discussion Thread (10.June.2014) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitney_luxie)
    guys, i know this is a really long shot, but do you think i'll get by without learning 4.3.7 in the syllabus in too much detail? i can memorize the other topics really well but because that particular section wasn't taught very well it's very disorganized and most of the stuff we did was really, really detailed unit 2 stuff (if i remember correctly)... i figure i might as well know the others really well and do them in the exam instead of wasting time trying to relearn 4.3.7, what do you guys think?
    What is 4.3.7? It should matter too much actually. You have a choice from 3 and from 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edward Cullen)
    Heyy, if you don't mind can you E-mail me that presentation. I would be grateful for that...
    Sure, can I send it on TSR or does it have to be an email. PM me your email and I'll send it.

ReputationRep:
    Guys quick question.. Do we need to know about the Marshall Lerner condition, harrod-domar growth model, the prebisch-singer hypothesis and Dutch disease??
    I'm just wondering coz I have some basic knowledge about them and they are not in the specification however I did find them in past papers, especially in the evaluation points...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aminkaram)
    My teacher made us give presentations comparing a less developed african country to the uk three times. I chose Cameroon, what's really important is that you can compare it to a more advanced country, preferably numerically.
    Can you please send me the power point if u don't mind, that would save my life tbh....:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aminkaram)
    My teacher made us give presentations comparing a less developed african country to the uk three times. I chose Cameroon, what's really important is that you can compare it to a more advanced country, preferably numerically.
    Could you please send it to me too. . That would be a great help! !

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain me the policies to reduce inequality. And some evaluations for it!! Plzz..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    What is 4.3.7? It should matter too much actually. You have a choice from 3 and from 2.
    4.3.7 is the public finance stuff like government spending, taxation, borrowing, debt, monetary&fiscal policy...

wait did you mean 'should' or 'shouldn't'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitney_luxie)
    4.3.7 is the public finance stuff like government spending, taxation, borrowing, debt, monetary&fiscal policy...

wait did you mean 'should' or 'shouldn't'?
    That's a pretty major topic. I think in unit 4 the data response is split into two question - one for development and one for macro policies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rathani278)
    Can someone explain me the policies to reduce inequality. And some evaluations for it!! Plzz..
    You could increase in progressive taxation however it could lead to more tax evasion and tax avoidance and also relate it to the laffer curve that tax revenue may also decrease so could lead to fiscal deficit
    Increase in means tested benefits but it gives a disincentive to work and its opportunity cost on the government
    Supply side policies so increase education and training to help get the unemployed back on the market but again its opportunity cost and depends on the magnitude of the increase
    Increase in national minimum wage on the other hand that would lead to more people being unemployed because it will cost firms more to hire so instead they may invest in capital.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Razina17)
    You could increase in progressive taxation however it could lead to more tax evasion and tax avoidance and also relate it to the laffer curve that tax revenue may also decrease so could lead to fiscal deficit
    Increase in means tested benefits but it gives a disincentive to work and its opportunity cost on the government
    Supply side policies so increase education and training to help get the unemployed back on the market but again its opportunity cost and depends on the magnitude of the increase
    Increase in national minimum wage on the other hand that would lead to more people being unemployed because it will cost firms more to hire so instead they may invest in capital.

Hope that helps
    Thanks a lot. By the way suppose if there was a question asked to explain the reasons for inequality, could we write the policies to reduce them as evaluation??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rathani278)
    Thanks a lot. By the way suppose if there was a question asked to explain the reasons for inequality, could we write the policies to reduce them as evaluation??
    I don't think so because evaluation is where you sort of contradict your point to create an argument so I'm gonna say no. If your not sure look at examiner reports on past questions about inequality I'm sure there is a few

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the significance of global imbalances (B of P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evelyn.AT)
    Anyone know the significance of global imbalances (B of P)
    The significance is that a negative capital account will have to be balanced out with a surplus on the financial account, so assets will have to sold to foreigners etc. this is arguably not sustainable in the long run. The country will eventually run out of assets to sell. This is all I can think of B of P isn't really my strong point.

the end is nigh

ReputationRep:
    Predictions for this paper?

ReputationRep:
    We don't need to know in detail the criteria to join the Eurozone do we? (the fiscal deficit being less than 3% of GDP etc.)

Also, why would a country being a member of a monetary union encourage TNCs to invest in the country? (in theory - I know this isn't really the case)

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone post the exam technique we should use .For example how many points do you need to give for the 30 marker ,20 and Section B as well

ReputationRep:
    guys i think it will be protectionism, exchange rates, competitiveness and about he recent recovery....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thestudentoffram)
    Could anyone post the exam technique we should use .For example how many points do you need to give for the 30 marker ,20 and Section B as well
    For 20 marker: 3 points and 3 evaluations (with examples included for all points)

For 30 marker: 4 points and 4 evaluations (and again with examples)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swaany)
    For 20 marker: 3 points and 3 evaluations (with examples included for all points)

For 30 marker: 4 points and 4 evaluations (and again with examples)
    Examples? So data?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 17, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.