Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Are we inherently meaner towards fat people? Watch

• Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpistolero7)
    Most people are like this sadly. I make a conscious effort not to be, seeing as I used to be on the unattractive end of the spectrum due to being very overweight and people treating me unkindly due to that. Its like we're programmed to be nicer to people we find more attractive. Its horrid.
    That's exactly right. In psychology, making positive judgements about a person's character based on their physical appearance is called the halo effect.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes.

If anything, ppl are reluctant to say things to fat ppl's faces and will make cruel jokes behind their backs. On the other hand, skinny kids get more direct provocation.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    That's exactly right. In psychology, making positive judgements about a person's character based on their physical appearance is called the halo effect.
    So we're all ********s basically. Great.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, you're quite right really. Its quite pathetic that cliques form and attractive people gravitate towards each other, even in terms of friendship groups. I've seen this happen a fair bit tbh.

Its the attitude of the common fellow towards the average fat fella that annoys me. Just cause someone's fat doesn't mean the vast generalizations people make about them are even remotely true. The whole looking down of fat people as a society thing is quite messed up tbh.
    With all due respect, I find it more pathetic that you're on here *****ing about all this rather than saying all this to these peoples faces.

People want to be around to attractive people, and so these groups form, its natural. I'm sorry, but in all of your replies you focus purely on how now you're not obese the good looking or more attractive people have started to see you as a potential friend/ boyfriend, you yourself haven't spoken at all in this thread about how less attractive people have acted towards you before or after you were obese. So even you subconsciously only want to be around people you see as desirable too, and that's why the cliques form.
    So, the question is, would you also admit to being 'pathetic'?

Although, to be fair, what I've said has completely agreed with your OP, although I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    With all due respect, I find it more pathetic that you're on here *****ing about all this rather than saying all this to these peoples faces.

People want to be around to attractive people, and so these groups form, its natural. I'm sorry, but in all of your replies you focus purely on how now you're not obese the good looking or more attractive people have started to see you as a potential friend/ boyfriend, you yourself haven't spoken at all in this thread about how less attractive people have acted towards you before or after you were obese. So even you subconsciously only want to be around people you see as desirable too, and that's why the cliques form.
    So, the question is, would you also admit to being 'pathetic'?

Although, to be fair, what I've said has completely agreed with your OP, although I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing :rolleyes:
    Oh trust me, I've dished out my fair share of criticize to the relevant people in person on this matter. Maybe not often enough as I'm not the most confrontational guy, but I've made my views on this stuff quite clear.

I do. I think the fact that I'm naturally inclined to be nicer to a prettier girl is a ****ed up trait in me (as I've mentioned at least twice in this thread, if you'd bothered to read through it before jumping on me), and is something I actively seek to correct in myself, because of my experiences when I was considered unattractive.

Well, my old friends who were my friends when I was fat, and now are still the same. I make it a point to behave the same as I did with most people tbh, I haven't noticed a major change in behavior from the conventionally unattractive people I know per say.

Wanting to be around good looking people and being mean to fat people are quite different things I should add, and I feel you've missed that issue completely . I have issues with both things, especially the second bit.

ReputationRep:
    Oh trust me, I've dished out my fair share of criticize to the relevant people in person on this matter. Maybe not often enough as I'm not the most confrontational guy, but I've made my views on this stuff quite clear.

I do. I think the fact that I'm naturally inclined to be nicer to a prettier girl is a ****ed up trait in me (as I've mentioned at least twice in this thread, if you'd bothered to read through it before jumping on me), and is something I actively seek to correct in myself, because of my experiences when I was considered unattractive.

Well, my old friends who were my friends when I was fat, and now are still the same. I make it a point to behave the same as I did with most people tbh, I haven't noticed a major change in behavior from the conventionally unattractive people I know per say.

Wanting to be around good looking people and being mean to fat people are quite different things I should add, and I feel you've missed that issue completely . I have issues with both things, especially the second bit.
    I respect a lot of what you're saying here, and I certainly don't think it's right to shun those with obesity.

I did actually read all of your comments before posting, and in none of them did you mention the attitudes of those who weren't, in your opinion attractive, although you did say once that you see yourself being kinder to those who were better looking, which I respect you for saying.

If I'm honest, I agree that most people do react differently to those who are more attractive but what a lot of what people have said on this thread is true, that those who are obese and don't want to change have certainly less attractive traits socially, where as you and those who have actively lost weight do have more socially respected traits like determination and self respect etc. What I'm trying to say (very poorly) is that when you were obese, society as a whole would perceive that you didn't show desirable traits such as determination and desire to change negative aspects of yourself, where as once you made the changes to become healthier you showed those traits and as a by product, became more desirable both intellectually and physically.

Also good on you for criticising those shunned/ bullied you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    There was this girl in year 11 where me and my friend used to take the piss out of her cause she was fat and small. And her haircut didn't do her any favours. But when she came into yr 12, we became friends due to having the same style of humour and music. We are somewhat close due to me changing friendship circles but she has opened up my eyes to allow me to not judge a person by their covers. She's such a nice person

Friendship-wise, regardless if they are overweight, or underweight is not the issue it's how we get on. If we lock horns, for whatever reason it isn't going to end well. But I don't shun someone out because they are overweight. I personally knows what it feels to be rejected (for one form or another) and it's a horrible thing.

Relationship wise.... I wouldn't date an overweight man. I would date a man who was a bit overweight and muscular and hairy (bear) in the homosexual world. BUT that's for a different time me thinks!

ReputationRep:
    There were no fat people in the concentration camps in Nazi Germany. That is a fact. Eat less. Get thin.

PS: There are also no fat soldiers in the French Foreign Legion.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    There were no fat people in the concentration camps in Nazi Germany. That is a fact. Eat less. Get thin.

PS: There are also no fat soldiers in the French Foreign Legion.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Fat shaming is disgusting and rather than telling fat people to change, we should take a long hard look at ourselves and how we treat human beings.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.