Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Relationships before the age of 25 are pointless. Discuss. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutaud15)
    the point is if a couple wants to stay together and are willing to work through their problems then divorce shouldn't really happen. it's up to the people at the end of the day.
    what's the point of this sacrifice?It looks an unnecessary weight to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalMarine)
    what's the point of this sacrifice?It looks an unnecessary weight to me
    there is no point of it other than avoiding heart ache and a broken family. it may look unnecessary weight to you and that's fair enough but there are people who would like to avoid separation if it can be helped. I'm one of those people. i came from a broken home and it's not the nicest thing and I'd like to avoid that if I can in my marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutaud15)
    there is no point of it other than avoiding heart ache and a broken family. it may look unnecessary weight to you and that's fair enough but there are people who would like to avoid separation if it can be helped. I'm one of those people. i came from a broken home and it's not the nicest thing and I'd like to avoid that if I can in my marriage.
    only if there are children.If there are none I don't see the point of an herculean sacrifice just to claim I didn't divorce.Nobody really cares if I divorce or not

ReputationRep:
    only if there are children.If there are none I don't see the point of an herculean sacrifice just to claim I didn't divorce.Nobody really cares if I divorce or not
    :lolwut:

I guess for you your love for the other person doesn't come into it

ReputationRep:
    That's your prerogative but not everyone thinks that way. Also it's nothing to do with the image as you are suggesting. It is actually an emotional upheaval for one or both parties involved. Seen enough of it. Hell I've contemplated it but the heartache is just not worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    :lolwut:

I guess for you your love for the other person doesn't come into it
    if we don't like it anymore and we think we want to change something in our lives it's better for both of us.Why fake it?

ReputationRep:
    I made here nice 'analyze', but point is :there is no universal rule. For someone 17 is OK for serious relationships, for other 47 still not. Again, this is very individual

ReputationRep:
    I think relationships before the age of 25 should be illegal and people who committ to such filth should be arrested.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No idea why people are saying people who marry young are the most likely to get a divorce, at risk of being rude, I would say it is those who "try out different things" until around the age of 30, who then look to marry who make the worst relationship partners.

ReputationRep:

My partner and I have been together for almost five years - we met when I was 18.

During that time I've sat my A Levels, gained a degree, got a job, and he's achieved lots too although he's a little older than me so they're not the same type of things.

I love him, he loves me. We don't live together yet but spend most of our time together and I am at his flat for half of the time. We're like best friends, laugh all the time, support each other when things get tough. We have disagreements but always work them out quickly. We want the same things from life, have shared friends (but separate ones too) and get on well with each other's families.

Admittedly he was over 25 when we got together, but I was only just an adult.

Should I write off our relationship because I am not yet 25, and because he is my first proper boyfriend? Or should I take 5 years, good times, love and commitment as a good sign????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    My partner and I have been together for almost five years - we met when I was 18.

During that time I've sat my A Levels, gained a degree, got a job, and he's achieved lots too although he's a little older than me so they're not the same type of things.

I love him, he loves me. We don't live together yet but spend most of our time together and I am at his flat for half of the time. We're like best friends, laugh all the time, support each other when things get tough. We have disagreements but always work them out quickly. We want the same things from life, have shared friends (but separate ones too) and get on well with each other's families.

Admittedly he was over 25 when we got together, but I was only just an adult.

Should I write off our relationship because I am not yet 25, and because he is my first proper boyfriend? Or should I take 5 years, good times, love and commitment as a good sign????
    Out of curiosity... How old WAS your boyfriend when you got together?!

ReputationRep:
    if we don't like it anymore and we think we want to change something in our lives it's better for both of us.Why fake it?
    No one's saying stay together if you don't love eachother

ReputationRep:
    No one's saying stay together if you don't love eachother
    then what are you saying?This is the point of divorce

ReputationRep:
    That relationships can work

ReputationRep:
    Divorce can happen even if a couple is in love. That's when it's not easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Meh, different things for different people.

I'm 19 and have been with my boyfriend for a little over four years, so evidently I will disagree with the statement.
    People can be as quick to write off our relationship as they like, but we've survived two years of long-distance (after having had two years non long-distance), we are both at university getting degrees, and both have clear career aspirations. As someone else has already said, if you're with the right person, they won't hold you back. My boyfriend has been totally supportive of every single one of my decisions - and I hope he feels the same about me.

I am aware that "hold you back" is a subjective statement. For some, that might mean being tied down to someone when you want freedom. For me, it doesn't mean that in the slightest.

So really, it's pointless having discussions like this. Relationships can be meaningful, independent of age - but the age at which people are ready to commit to a long-term relationship is different from person to person.

ReputationRep:
    That relationships can work
    if it works it works,I don't see the point of sacrifices just to keep it up

ReputationRep:
    I certainly agree with where the OP is coming from, though I wouldn't have said 25 tbh, I would have said more like 18/19, I wonder what percentage of teen relationships last for more than 5 years, or even 2 years for that matter, I'd guess at below 5%, relationships before 18 are certainly for the most part pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Sacrifices don't just mean staying together if you don't love eachother.. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    But relationships don't = sacrifices...

Yes, some do, and then it might not be the best idea to "keep it up" and stay with the person you're with, but some people are in relationships where they feel they're not sacrificing anything :confused:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.