Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Girlfriend turned vegan - do we have to break up?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    You cannot expect a veg*n to cook meat for you. You cannot. You sound like such a drama queen, OP. a) You don't NEED to eat meat, like someone else said, you WANT to and b) If you even consider breaking up with someone because they won't cater to your every dietary whim and cook whatever you want on demand, you're not mature enough to be in a relationship. Grow up and cook for yourself if you're so damn hellbent on eating meat, otherwise be decent and appreciate that she's cooked a meal.
    Presumably the converse of this is that a vegan can't expect me to produce vegan food for them? I'd be cool with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    The reason I came to the conclusion that he is just ungrateful is because essentially his complaint boils down to 'my girlfriend won't cook me the dinner that I want and I am unwilling to do it for myself'. It just seems rather demanding to me, as someone who does all the cooking in my household, and also given plenty of people work full time AND have to cook themselves dinner every evening.
    No his complaint boils down to her changing her ways and then trying to impose them on him by not touching the meat he craves in meals. By default, she's essentially saying 'eat a vegan diet or cook yourself'. Its selfish. She changed her lifestyle and is now trying to change his. She is being selfish and immature. He's better off finding someone else.

I'm not saying he HAS to conform, If you look back over my post I clearly suggested cooking for himself is entirely possible, just that if he really doesn't want to cook that's the only thing for it. I'm sorry if what I am saying isn't clear.
    Well no she should just grow up, be reasonable, and cook the food for him. If she cant do that and adapt a mature attitude he should tell her where to go.

I guess the fact that I know a lot of vegetarian people in couples, none of whom are made to cook meat by their partner maybe means that I judge people by those moral standards. It has nothing to do with her being a girl, I just REAlLY don't see why its such a big deal cooking separate meals.
    If he cooks all his own meals and she does the same its fine, but that isn't the case. He goes out of his way to cook her vegan meals to cater her lifestyle on weekends and she won't do the same for him during the week. He works full time too, she doesn't. OP should get rid of her and she can fund her vegan lifestyle working her part time arse off. Given he's working full time and this arrangement of her cooking was how they have been used to doing it, I'm going to assume he's earning more and is the main breadwinner. If so, the OP shouldn't let her take the piss.

Also of course I'm going to back him cutting down on meat, its better for the environment. I was just informing him he can get plenty of protein without eating meat every day.
    LOL. Again, as stated this isn't about you or your wants or what you think is better. You seem to have a knack of doing this as highlighted by underlining said points in this very retort. This is about the OP. The OP has expressed his desire to eat meat as his normal source for protein intake.

PS Id be greatful if you'd stop being horrible to me, I already spoke to you about this, Thanks.
    If you don't like being called up on the stuff you post either don't post rubbish or just put me on ignore. I'm not going to stop telling the truth just because you're going to start claiming I'm being horrible. I'm not. It was an incredibly silly post in which you suggested he was doing it to threaten her with no evidence whatsoever to support such a statement.

When you come out with stuff like this, 'I reckon he's just doing it to try and threaten her out of being vegan', then you cant really blame other posters and I for calling you out on it.

Also, you only ever call me horrible when I disagree with you or call you out on something. How bloody apt.

(Original post by blue n white army)
    Dont get why people are telling OP to be more open minded when she's being so pathetic as to not even touch meat.
    Exactly. There's some right deluded posters on here siding with her. She's also probably well on the way to going full mental on him. How long before she tells him he cant keep meat in the fridge because she feels bad? He's best of getting rid of her now. I'm all for supporting the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle but if they go off their trolley and start putting their dietary choices above the person they claim to love and it affects the relationship then its only themselves they got to blame.

(Original post by suedonim)
    There is at least one vegan bodybuilder http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_4560059.html
    Using unnatural supplements to supplement their diet. This is massive on body building forums and its nowhere near the same. Never mind the processing of proteins and the important roles in protein synthesis. To suggest he becomes a vegan to suit her is ridiculous but to suggest he can perfectly maintain his gains whilst cutting out essential sources of protein (chicken) is laughable. The only other way is to supplement his diet with protein drinks, most likely soy, which again is not a natural source of food for consumption and is man made. Why should he have to do this to conform to her lifestyle when he can just continue to eat meat? Shes being unreasonable.

and good reason why you should try to get more of your protein from vegetable sources http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsle...-a-longer-life
    Chicken is an ideal source of protein and isn't red. Its a meat and is often the meat of choice for body builders. Yes you should try to get protein from an array of sources but for a body builder wanting gains then eating meat, often chicken is the choice, is great. Why should he have to supplement his diet with powders to get his protein?

Your girlfriend would probably prefer a meat free house but is respecting your decision to eat meat.
    If thats the case then she knows where the door is. She knew she was entering a relationship with a meat eating person and has cooked meat for him in the past. Then suddenly she drops this bombshell on him and he's supposed to just follow the rules set out. She's out of order.

You aren't respecting her decision not to participate in killing animals.
    Do you have any idea of the impact a lot of the vegetarian industry has on the environment and habitats of those animals? Meat substitutes imported from abroad have led to forests being destroyed to fund such. Playing the killing animals card is insane given you're helping an industry which is destroying the environment.

From your posts you feel resentment that she is contributing less in financial terms and you do not value what she does instead. You want everything to be about you and your wants. So you probably are heading for a break-up sometime.
    No, she has tried to make him conform to her new lifestyle changes by acting like a spoilt brat. He should dump her and find a mature and sane woman.

Personally I eat meat so I don't know enough about vegan diets or body-building to comment on amino-acid profiles. But if you truly cared about your girlfriend you'd have been researching it rather more than you've done so far.
    If she truly cared about him, she'd still continue cooking meat for her boyfriend who she's supposed to love, and understand that whilst she doesn't eat it, he still does as part of his every day life and thats his choice as an independent person.

OP should break up with her and find someone else.

ReputationRep:
    You cannot expect a veg*n to cook meat for you. You cannot. You sound like such a drama queen, OP.
    Why? She used to do so before she made a radical lifestyle change. She's just being a spoilt brat and immature. OP should get rid of her.

a) You don't NEED to eat meat, like someone else said, you WANT to
    He lifts weights so if he wants to continue seeing gains then he does. Either that or he supplements his diet with powders that are man made and are part of a process that does a lot of harm to the environment themselves. He should be free to eat meat and she should just grow up and prepare and cook it for him like she used to do before she started acting like this. Either that or he should dump her.

and b) If you even consider breaking up with someone because they won't cater to your every dietary whim and cook whatever you want on demand, you're not mature enough to be in a relationship. Grow up and cook for yourself if you're so damn hellbent on eating meat, otherwise be decent and appreciate that she's cooked a meal.
    She used to cook meat for him. She changed her lifestyle and is now forcing a change upon him he dislikes. She hasn't always been like this. He didn't enter the relationship with this a consideration. Its a new lifestyle change. This is what you dont seem to be getting. Why should he accept this?

OP, she works part time. Let her fund her vegan life style with her part time job. Go find someone who appreciates you work full time and will be appreciative enough of that fact to cook you a meal with meat on it. No one is forcing your girlfriend to eat the meat but just cook it for you on the side. She doesn't even have to touch it to put it in the oven or in the frying pan for crying out loud.

She's the one not mature enough to be in a relationship. She used to cook meat for him and now a new lifestyle choice has made her suddenly hate meat and this has had an impact on him. As already pointed out, if he suddenly stopped touching vegetables and said it was crap rabbit food would you be defending him on that? No, you would be saying he's lost the plot and insane and needs to be more reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    You cannot expect a vegan to cook meat for you. You cannot. You sound like such a drama queen, OP. a) You don't NEED to eat meat, like someone else said, you WANT to and b) If you even consider breaking up with someone because they won't cater to your every dietary whim and cook whatever you want on demand, you're not mature enough to be in a relationship. Grow up and cook for yourself if you're so damn hellbent on eating meat, otherwise be decent and appreciate that she's cooked a meal.
    Why should her "dietary whim" be prioritised over his? He caters to her vegan diet - she should cater to his meat-eating diet. I really do think it's that simple. It's give-and-take and it's fair.

Also, the people who suggested slow cookers are geniuses. Very good idea.

ReputationRep:
    if shes not worth a bit of chicken to you
    jesus christ

ReputationRep:
    Do you know any vegans? I'm guessing no...

I've never met one in any way like this :\
    I know a vegan and it would always come up every single day in one way or another. Was so annoying hearing about the natural products she used and trying to get me into them. She definitely felt she was better than everyone for being a vegan.

Plus she stank so bad that I actually felt sick having to sit next to her all the time. She didn't wash her clothes with proper detergents or use shampoo so the dandruff was horrible. It was disgusting. She also had psoriasis but wouldn't use any creams to help it because she was a vegan. Couldn't get along with anyone like that at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mickey O'Neil)
    No his complaint boils down to her changing her ways and then trying to impose them on him by not touching the meat he craves in meals. By default, she's essentially saying 'eat a vegan diet or cook yourself'. Its selfish. She changed her lifestyle and is now trying to change his. She is being selfish and immature. He's better off finding someone else.

Well no she should just grow up, be reasonable, and cook the food for him. If she cant do that and adapt a mature attitude he should tell her where to go.

If he cooks all his own meals and she does the same its fine, but that isn't the case. He goes out of his way to cook her vegan meals to cater her lifestyle on weekends and she won't do the same for him during the week. He works full time too, she doesn't. OP should get rid of her and she can fund her vegan lifestyle working her part time arse off. Given he's working full time and this arrangement of her cooking was how they have been used to doing it, I'm going to assume he's earning more and is the main breadwinner. If so, the OP shouldn't let her take the piss.

LOL. Again, as stated this isn't about you or your wants or what you think is better. You seem to have a knack of doing this as highlighted by underlining said points in this very retort. This is about the OP. The OP has expressed his desire to eat meat as his normal source for protein intake.

Because your victim mentality knows no bounds. If you don't like being called up on the stuff you post either don't post rubbish or just put me on ignore. I'm not going to stop telling the truth just because you're going to start claiming I'm being horrible. I'm not. It was an incredibly silly post in which you suggested he was doing it to threaten her with no evidence whatsoever to support such a statement.

When you come out with stuff like this, 'I reckon he's just doing it to try and threaten her out of being vegan', then you cant really blame other posters and I for calling you out on it.

Also, you only ever call me horrible when I disagree with you or call you out on something. How bloody apt.
    That's because you only start swearing at me, twisting my words and verbally abusing me when I disagree with you. Can you just leave me alone please, I don't see the need to agressiveley attack a poster and start swearing at them just because you disagree with something they have said.

You know what, **** you, you make me feel like **** and I'm leaving. There's no enjoyment in this any more its just being attacked and sworn at by you every other day for doing nothing other than voicing my opinion in threads that ask for just that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsn0b0dy)
    you're basically breaking up with her because she's getting in the way of your gains.

good man
    He's basically breaking up with her because he prefers the taste of meat to being in a relationship with her. I think that's just sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadGirlsDance)
    I know a vegan and it would always come up every single day in one way or another. Was so annoying hearing about the natural products she used and trying to get me into them. She definitely felt she was better than everyone for being a vegan.

Plus she stank so bad that I actually felt sick having to sit next to her all the time. She didn't wash her clothes with proper detergents or use shampoo so the dandruff was horrible. It was disgusting. She also had psoriasis but wouldn't use any creams to help it because she was a vegan. Couldn't get along with anyone like that at all.
    I think you may have had a bad experience with a vegan, but I don't think all vegans are like that.

ReputationRep:
    If you dump her you'll have to cook for yourself anyway?

ReputationRep:
    That's because you only start swearing at me, twisting my words and verbally abusing me when I disagree with you. Can you just leave me alone please, I don't see the need to agressiveley attack a poster and start swearing at them just because you disagree with something they have said.

You know what, **** you, you make me feel like **** and I'm leaving. There's no enjoyment in this any more its just being attacked and sworn at by you every other day for doing nothing other than voicing my opinion in threads that ask for just that.
    :yawn:

You said you were putting me on ignore but you didn't. When I call you up on a post you go mad. Im going to put you on ignore now and be done with it. Fed up of you playing the victim because someone said some words you dislike on the internet. I've not swore 'at' you once either. Yet more fabrication from you. I did call your post **** and I stand by that. Your suggestion that he was using it as a means to threaten her was absurd. I stand by that statement, even more so now as you've gone on a worthless tirade rather than backing up that statement.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you're annoyed with her in general and that this is not food specific. You mention several times how you provide for her, perhaps you feel that you are paying to keep someone who you're not even that into anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mickey O'Neil)
    :yawn:

You said you were putting me on ignore but you didn't. When I call you up on a post you go mad. Im going to put you on ignore now and be done with it. Fed up of you playing the victim because someone said some words you dislike on the internet. I've not swore 'at' you once either. Yet more fabrication from you. I did call your post **** and I stand by that. Your suggestion that he was using it as a means to threaten her was absurd. I stand by that statement, even more so now as you've gone on a worthless tirade rather than backing up that statement.
    I did, but I felt like there was bad air so I decided to speak to you to sort it out instead. Clearly you are unable to listen to a polite request off someone to stop being so aggressive and to stop swearing at them and using personal attacks.

Have fun aggressively attacking everyone you disagree with!

No point in ignoring me as I am leaving. Seeya.

ReputationRep:
    I did, but I felt like there was bad air so I decided to speak to you to sort it out instead.
    No. You only assume there's bad air when there's not because I disagree with your posts. News flash, not everyone on the internet is going to agree with you. People will call you out on the stuff you post and you are not different to the rest of us. Welcome to the real world.

Clearly you are unable to listen to a polite request off someone to stop being so aggressive.
    At no point was I aggressive. Again with the victim mentality of others being mean because they call you out on the things you post. I also find it utterly laughable that you're going down this route when you accused the OP of trying to threaten his girlfriend by doing this with no evidence. Again, as I've asked many times, why did you make such a suggestion? On what basis do you back up that statement?

Anyway, seeya.
    I was going to put you on ignore but thought, 'why should I?'. If you wish, put me on ignore. You're the one claiming there's bad air and to be the victim of aggressive posting just because someone called you up and questioned your post.

Feel free to put me on ignore if you wish. Im not the one with the problem. Im happy to call you out on things all day if I think they're as absurd as saying 'I reckon he's just doing it to try and threaten her out of being vegan'. Honestly, I despair.

ReputationRep:
    New vegans/vegetarians are often no different from new muslim/christian converts in their extremism.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Me and my girlfriend have been together for a year and have lived together for a few months.

She's always been a fan of vegetables but recently she decided to turn completely vegan. I have nothing against her views and totally respect her decision - it does not bother me what she eats. But this is not the problem..

The problem is, that in our household we have divided our tasks in the following way: I'm working full time, and earn most of the money for us. My girlfriend only works part time, but she cooks the evening meals and does most of the household chores. On the weekends, I cook and participate in all possible chores, so I feel we have equally divided everything. With her new thing, I also cook some nice vegetarian things along with other foods on the weekends for her to eat.

The problem is now that my girlfriend has decided she won't touch or cook meat anymore. This is really bad for me because I'm usually home only around 7:30pm after I've been to the gym after work and most of the time I'm starving. Now with this new vegan thing, she only cooks vegetarian meals, which means that I have to cook for myself. I'm a meat eater, and need a proper portion of meat to get the required protein. I'm more than happy to have some of her carrot soup for a starter, but I do need some proper food too.

This has made things really difficult for us and it's very exhausting to me. After a full day of work the last thing I want to do is start cooking, I want to relax. I like cooking, but just don't have the time and I can't eat ready meals every day, afterall, I'm a healthy eater.

I have told her this is very selfish from her. I'd be even willing to change so that I was working part time and did the cooking instead, but my job won't allow this. This has caused for us to argue for the last 3 weeks..

Is breaking up the only option if she won't change her habits?

(Writing this anon. in case my girlfriend recognises me)
    Your girlfriend will know it is you anon or not if she uses this site

Anyway on the topic, such differences can usually be overcome for as long as there are some gives and takes. However in future and speaking from experience it won't be long before she says no leather goods in the house and that includes your shoes. Then it will be separate utensils in the kitchen, then it would be a separate refrigerator, then it will be separate tables and finally separate homes.

As with any other extremism it is best to nip it in the bud, stand your ground and don't be a pushover. I quite remember this situation with my ex wife some years back, she decided to get into this vegan fad diet and started being exactly as per your girlfriend, first she refused to handle any meat or leather goods, then she demanded no meat be consumed in the house, one fine day she had prepared meatballs for dinner, I told her Swedish meatballs are made with pork and beef not whatever junk she had put in it, I called the dog and gave it to the dog told the kids whoever wanted to go to McD's can come with me as soon as they had finished eating their vegetables. I told the ex if she wanted to impose her lifestyle on me she can first be the breadwinner else she can bugger off back to Sweden and I didn't want to hear her moaning or *****ing about that topic ever again and she knew where the suitcases were if she wanted to bugger off back to Sweden.

You do need to take a stand and in this case my advice to you would be to prepare your own meat, either make a big batch of something and freeze it up or marinate 2-3 portions of a meat and when you get home from the gym just throw it into the oven or as I did I carefully packed it in aluminium foil and told the ex-wife to place it in the oven 20 minutes before I returned from work.

ReputationRep:

So because people rightly ridicule you for your feminazi views you're going to get all offended? :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did, but I felt like there was bad air so I decided to speak to you to sort it out instead. Clearly you are unable to listen to a polite request off someone to stop being so aggressive and to stop swearing at them and using personal attacks.

Have fun aggressively attacking everyone you disagree with!

No point in ignoring me as I am leaving. Seeya.
    Dat victim mentality tho.

He hasn't been offensive to you once on this thread. Get it together.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alis-volatpropriis)
    How is that good? Dumping his girlfriend because he wants to bulk up is ridiculous. He'll still have to cook for himself if he dumped her.

You'll probably end up all alone, and end up dating your biceps and pecs hm?
    You can lose alot of gains chasing girls but you'll never lose girls chasing gains.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Rub her with raw chicken while she sleeps.

ReputationRep:
    If you're considering breaking up because she won't make you the food you want then you should probably break up for her sake.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.