Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What harm do homosexuals actually cause? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazbaz)
    None at all, before Christianity it was pretty sociably acceptable in civilised (by western standards) society. And the argument that it's bad for population growth is just ridiculous, are you suggesting that we should get rid of infertile people, and force couples who don't want children to have them anyway? no? thought not. An ageing population is an issue, but once they stop being able to develop antibiotics that actually work it won't be.
    In ancient Greece it was even encouraged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    ^ Yup that.
    Oops. I made an accidental grammatical mistake due to the system originally contained only one thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puck_1991)
    Just to point something out, in the same Guardian article mentioned above (http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...record-numbers) it says: "The black African community in Britain also faces a higher risk than average, with 37 out of every 1,000 living with HIV last year. Far more men and women in the black African community are diagnosed late than gay men – 68% and 61% respectively, compared with 35%.". Yet, if anyone suggested a one year ban on black Africans it would automatically be considered racism.

The ban on MSM is as discriminatory as a ban on black Africans would be. The fact is, it's easier to "sell" that gay men have more aids, so we'll prevent infection by not allowing them to give blood. It's discriminatory.
    African-Americans also have a very high rate in America.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alis-volatpropriis)
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Its very stupid, because heterosexual people that engage in anal sex still have the same risks of contracting HIV and STDs. Even though the ban was lifted in 2011, MSM people still have to wait a year.. all the "donate blood" advertisements are very misleading they say everyone can donate blood at anytime they never specify that in their campaigns.
    The risks are the same, but statistically gay men have been more likely to have contracted HIV. Not sure what these stats look like now.

But yeah, I've tried to donate blood on four separate occasions (once a year) and been refused all four times, either for the homosexuality thing, or because I've been abroad too recently, or had a vaccination too recently.

Blood - sometimes you can't give it away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueray2)
    I'll play devils advocate here.
    With more people being taught it is ok to be homosexual and have homosexual relationships in school, more kids may become gay.

I know because people that I knew who were straight before became gay later, I asked how is that possible aren;t you born gay,they said some say so, but thats not really true, they said it was due to hormonal imbalances shifted towards men instead of women.
    Similar story like that of a man that became gay after a hospital operation.

With the stigma removed from schools, more people will become gay and this could mean
    a problem of less population and mean a greater tax burden on a smaller population who are supporting the ageing gay population.

Also the argument that less kids means less global warming is insignificant. If we all turned vegetarian we could have lots of kids since they wouldn't be consuming high co2 reared meat.
    Well I would like to see your turn gay for a few years and tell us about your experience.

Schools saying that something is OK does not lead to increase on that thing. Schools have been saying it's OK to write with your left hand, but I don't see the rate growing anywhere near 50%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    Quite.

After all there are plenty of men who are kind, loving, caring, good looking, in great shape, great conversationalists, good dressers and who really understand women. Unfortunately, they like **** too.

Spoiler:
    Show
    The above is a quote from a poster my sister has
    Some can do threesomes.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think it comes down to males feeling as though their notions of masculinity are threatened. It is usually males who are disgusted by gay men, though happy with lesbian women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clh_hilary)
    Then you would just be wrong.

The chances of any male contacting HIV with anal sex (topping or bottoming, either one of them as they have different rates) is the same.

The chances are on the particular sexual behaviour, eg being penetrated by a man unprotected in the anus, ejaculated, not on a sexual orientation.
    It isn't that the owners of sports cars are more at risk of being in accidents. The per-incidence risk is the same for anyone driving a sports car. Right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    It isn't that the owners of sports cars are more at risk of being in accidents. The per-incidence risk is the same for anyone driving a sports car. Right?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    I'll get on to the institute of actuaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I'll get on to the institute of actuaries.
    OK.

ReputationRep:
    Then you would just be wrong.

The chances of any male contacting HIV with anal sex (topping or bottoming, either one of them as they have different rates) is the same.

The chances are on the particular sexual behaviour, eg being penetrated by a man unprotected in the anus, ejaculated, not on a sexual orientation.
    Are you talking about just within the gay community, then? Because previously it's sounded like you think a straight 25-year-old female having sex with a straight man is just as likely to catch HIV from a sexual encounter as a a gay man having sex with another gay man. You said that "The chance of anyone with any sexual orientation contracting HIV is the same."

Well obviously HIV is transmitted through sexual fluids.

Urgh, anyway, I think we've already made the same point (that a random sampling of a man from the gay community is more likely to have HIV than a random sampling of a man from the straight community) and now we're hung up on something else.

I'm bored of this now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musie Suzie)
    Are you talking about just within the gay community, then? Because previously it's sounded like you think a straight 25-year-old female having sex with a straight man is just as likely to catch HIV from a sexual encounter as a a gay man having sex with another gay man. You said that "The chance of anyone with any sexual orientation contracting HIV is the same."

Well obviously HIV is transmitted through sexual fluids.

Urgh, anyway, I think we've already made the same point (that a random sampling of a man from the gay community is more likely to have HIV than a random sampling of a man from the straight community) and now we're hung up on different aspects.
    A 25-year-old female being penetrated by a straight male without protection or ejaculation in the anus is the same as:
    a 25-year-old male being penetrated by a straight male without protection or ejaculation in the anus.

Your comment seemed to suggest that sexual orientation exposes you to more risks. It doesn't. You don't have to act on it, and you certainly don't need to act on the risky form of it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, indeed thank what you want, you would just be once again, wrong.

HIV testing is a lot more sold to the gay community than the straight crowd. An average straight guy on the street is unlikely to ever have thought of getting tested (eg my father or my brother), but a gay person is very likely to have thought of it.

HIV does not lead to symptoms. AIDS do not necessarily have symptoms. Assuming the rates of having symptoms on both a homosexual and heterosexual person is the same, the gay community would have more positives getting tested because of the way higher awareness.
    There are symptoms of having contracted HIV! Not everyone experiences them, but when they do it resembles a flu lasting approximately three weeks. Then as it progresses and becomes AIDS there are usually further symptoms.

Do you really think HIV has equal prevalence in gay and straight people? (I am genuinely asking - not trying to be patronising)

ReputationRep:
    A 25-year-old female being penetrated by a straight male without protection or ejaculation in the anus is the same as:
    a 25-year-old male being penetrated by a straight male without protection or ejaculation in the anus.

Your comment seemed to suggest that sexual orientation exposes you to more risks. It doesn't. You don't have to act on it, and you certainly don't need to act on the risky form of it.
    At no point have I said anything remotely resembling the idea that a gay person is going to magically contract HIV just because they're gay.

Obviously it's the sex act that puts you at risk of it. Why are you even arguing that with me? Did you miss the part where I said that a straight person and a gay person receiving anal sex from someone who has HIV are equally likely to contract it?

I think you've misunderstood me at some point.

And why would a straight male penetrate another male in the anus? That's not particularly realistic and I have been talking about realistic chances here.

ReputationRep:
    There are symptoms of having contracted HIV! Not everyone experiences them, but when they do it resembles a flu lasting approximately three weeks. Then as it progresses and becomes AIDS there are usually further symptoms.

Do you really think HIV has equal prevalence in gay and straight people? (I am genuinely asking - not trying to be patronising)
    You still don't understand. Prevalence rates do not equal to a chance of a certain orientation getting HIV. The poster who mentioned sport cars gave a very good example - it doesn't matter who the car owners are. Owning a car does not give you a higher chance of getting killed, driving one does.

ReputationRep:
    At no point have I said anything remotely resembling the idea that a gay person is going to magically contract HIV just because they're gay.

Obviously it's the sex act that puts you at risk of it. Why are you even arguing that with me? Did you miss the part where I said that a straight person and a gay person receiving anal sex from someone who has HIV are equally likely to contract it?

I think you've misunderstood me at some point.

And why would a straight male penetrate another male in the anus? That's not particularly realistic and I have been talking about realistic chances here.
    Why can't a straight male penetrate another male in the anus? Have you never heard of prisons for example?

It would be even more common for a gay male to penetrate females.

ReputationRep:
    You still don't understand. Prevalence rates do not equal to a chance of a certain orientation getting HIV. The poster who mentioned sport cars gave a very good example - it doesn't matter who the car owners are. Owning a car does not give you a higher chance of getting killed, driving one does.
    You're right - that still makes no sense to me. Ah well.

Going back to random sampling, are you really telling me that in a sexual encounter between a randomly selected straight woman and a randomly selected straight man, and one between two randomly selected gay men, HIV transmission is equally likely between the two pairs?

ReputationRep:
    You're right - that still makes no sense to me. Ah well.
    I know you know what the rates mean, but it's the reductive way of presenting them making people feel that being gay = having HIV.

ReputationRep:
    I know you know what the rates mean, but it's the reductive way of presenting them making people feel that being gay = having HIV.
    But obviously that's not true - is this for my benefit or that of others? I'm not trying to propogate the idea that all gays have HIV and should therefore remain celibate to be safe. That would be ridiculous.

Also please see my edit above

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.