Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

USA how many people wanna go there Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's somewhere on my 'visit' list, but it's nowhere near the top. I'd probably tack a visit to the USA onto a main trip somewhere else, probably Canada.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Palo Alto, it was booooring...
    Seattle on the other hand :eek: Never seen a city I'd like to live in more, so hip!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamez870)
    Florida probably isn't a true representative of life in the us

That may be, but I genuinely love living in the UK so I would rather just stay

ReputationRep:
    I actually REALLY want to do a year's (or two) trip going around. And also meet my best friend who I've been longing to meet for a very long time. It's actually the first thing that comes to mind before I think about doing anything violent, because I read somewhere that you cannot go into the US if you have anything on a criminal record. That's it, that's my reasoning, I want to go to the US so I completely avoid any trouble, is that a bad way to think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
    I actually REALLY want to do a year's (or two) trip going around. And also meet my best friend who I've been longing to meet for a very long time. It's actually the first thing that comes to mind before I think about doing anything violent, because I read somewhere that you cannot go into the US if you have anything on a criminal record. That's it, that's my reasoning, I want to go to the US so I completely avoid any trouble, is that a bad way to think?
    It seems a bit of an odd way to stop yourself committing crimes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SerLorasTyrell)
    Scared I'll get shot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Erm, but can't you get shot anywhere? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    Erm, but can't you get shot anywhere? :erm:
    Yeah but like every third person has a gun and they're gun death rates etc are so much higher, I'd rather be able to get into an argument with someone and not have to consider them pulling out a gun

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    I think it is a country to which I and the world owes eternal gratitude. I would absolutely love to go there some time in my life.

Although I'd probably avoid Alabama and Arkansas.
    That's such a wonderful for you to say. TSR is really my first experience at talking with anyone in a foreign country and while I knew we weren't liked very much anymore, (I'm 60 now and remember when it was different), I was really surprised at the expressions of hatred directed at us. Thank you so much for the kind thought.

P.S. A wise choice to avoid Alabama and Arkansas. LOL I spent three years hitchhiking around the country when I was in my 20's and being a born and bred Californian I went through culture shock in those states. Great friendly down-home type people but, WOW! Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oldcon1953)
    That's such a wonderful for you to say. TSR is really my first experience at talking with anyone in a foreign country and while I knew we weren't liked very much anymore, (I'm 60 now and remember when it was different), I was really surprised at the expressions of hatred directed at us. Thank you so much for the kind thought.

P.S. A wise choice to avoid Alabama and Arkansas. LOL I spent three years hitchhiking around the country when I was in my 20's and being a born and bred Californian I went through culture shock in those states. Great friendly down-home type people but, WOW! Thanks again.
    People resent the US because they don't know what the world would be like without it; the US has defined how the world works to a large extent in the last century so whatever crimes it does commit are exaggerated in comparison to others'. And anti-Americanism is just trendy for some reason too that I can't quite get my head around.

ReputationRep:
    People resent the US because they don't know what the world would be like without it; the US has defined how the world works to a large extent in the last century so whatever crimes it does commit are exaggerated in comparison to others'. And anti-Americanism is just trendy for some reason too that I can't quite get my head around.
    Many people in the UK and other countries find it hard to understand how people can support the relaxation of gun laws. The lack of gun crime in the UK means we don't understand how Americans can accept gun violence on that scale.

ReputationRep:
    Many people in the UK and other countries find it hard to understand how people can support the relaxation of gun laws. The lack of gun crime in the UK means we don't understand how Americans can accept gun violence on that scale.
    High civilian gun ownership is something that I also find hard to understand (and think people should require lots of training before being able to have a gun), but this just seems such a petty issue when you're talking about the role the US has in international geopolitics and trying to imagine a world without it. No liberation of Europe, the Cold war won by Russia, Asia looking like a big version of North Korea, etc. And that's before you even start to talk about its cultural and scientific impact. I'm not a gung-ho pro-American in that I don't think everything it has given is positive, but overall I'm a fan.

ReputationRep:
    High civilian gun ownership is something that I also find hard to understand (and think people should require lots of training before being able to have a gun), but this just seems such a petty issue when you're talking about the role the US has in international geopolitics and trying to imagine a world without it. No liberation of Europe, the Cold war won by Russia, Asia looking like a big version of North Korea, etc. And that's before you even start to talk about its cultural and scientific impact. I'm not a gung-ho pro-American in that I don't think everything it has given is positive, but overall I'm a fan.
    I'm currently studying a level history, we studies the escalation of conflict between the USA and Vietnam/Korea. The general opinion is that these conflicts were not necessary and the perceived communist threat in South East Asia was not as large as the US thought it was.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying a level history, we studies the escalation of conflict between the USA and Vietnam/Korea. The general opinion is that these conflicts were not necessary and the perceived communist threat in South East Asia was not as large as the US thought it was.
    I don't know about you, but I would call democide of millions of innocent people (in Cambodia, China, the USSR, Korea etc.), coupled with an oppressive, imperialistic, wealth-destroying ideology, a major threat to world peace. It is to the US' credit that half of Korea is free. If the US had stayed out, North Korea would have won. If anything, the US didn't try hard enough to defeat the DPRK and Viet Cong.

Would you say that the fight against fascist imperialism was also "unnecessary"? Less democide was committed under the Nazi banner. More and worse war crimes were committed by America in that war than the entire Cold war including Vietnam. But most people acknowledge that it was a just war against abject evil.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I don't get why people like New York city so much. It's one of the worst places on Earth. Extremely filthy, overpopulated, lots of diversity and multiculturalism, bad weather, huge crime rates...the list of bad things goes on and on. It's the ******* of the USA.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about you, but I would call democide of millions of innocent people (in Cambodia, China, the USSR, Korea etc.), coupled with an oppressive, imperialistic, wealth-destroying ideology, a major threat to world peace. It is to the US' credit that half of Korea is free. If the US had stayed out, North Korea would have won. If anything, the US didn't try hard enough to defeat the DPRK and Viet Cong.

Would you say that the fight against fascist imperialism was also "unnecessary"? Less democide was committed under the Nazi banner. More and worse war crimes were committed by America in that war than the entire Cold war including Vietnam. But most people acknowledge that it was a just war against abject evil.
    Even though most south Vietnamese supported what Ho Chi Minh stood for?

ReputationRep:
    Even though most south Vietnamese supported what Ho Chi Minh stood for?
    Most Italians probably supported what Mussolini stood for

ReputationRep:
    Most Italians probably supported what Mussolini stood for
    All I'm saying is that, due to hysteria in the 1950's and McCarthyism, the US got sucked into an unnecessary conflict that could have been avoided. The leader of South Vietnam that the US supported was far from being truly democratic and was very unpopular amongst the South Vietnamese. The US interfered in a part of the world they had few ties or interests in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    I couldn't live in the US. I mean British people are stupid at times, but my god their government and their TV is on a whole other level of stupid. It's like every birthing facility has to have a mandatory dose of nuclear radiation before any babies can be born.
    I think the collectivist nature of all Govts. force them to do stupid things sometime but you are sooo right about our television. The transmission of pics. and sound through the air has to rate as one of the greatest inventions ever and look at the garbage we fill the airwaves with!! Americans pride themselves in being the best at their trade, whatever it is, ignoring a lot in the world around them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oldcon1953)
    I think the collectivist nature of all Govts. force them to do stupid things sometime but you are sooo right about our television. The transmission of pics. and sound through the air has to rate as one of the greatest inventions ever and look at the garbage we fill the airwaves with!! Americans pride themselves in being the best at their trade, whatever it is, ignoring a lot in the world around them.
    I find watching the news in the US bizarre, it's so much different to how it is televised in the uk. Not a criticism, just an observation.

ReputationRep:
    All I'm saying is that, due to hysteria in the 1950's and McCarthyism, the US got sucked into an unnecessary conflict that could have been avoided. The leader of South Vietnam that the US supported was far from being truly democratic and was very unpopular amongst the South Vietnamese. The US interfered in a part of the world they had few ties or interests in.
    All I'm saying is that there would be no freedom there if it weren't for the US intervention. It would all be something like North Korea or Vietnam is today. Maybe it wasn't the US' personal interest to fight in Korea or Vietnam, but it was humanity's interest for Communism to be defeated worldwide.

I would hardly say that the hysteria was unjustified. The US president was murdered by a Communist in 1963.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.