Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Would you rather be superfat or superskinny? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    I don't know where I read it but I'm sure I read that that was a necessary citerion. Hummm...
    Who knows, guidelines are changing all the time.

ReputationRep:
    There's no ambiguity in the guidelines. If someone doesn't tick all the boxes they can't have a certain diagnosis.

Yes but there is around 8 types of diagnoses for eating disorders, with one being Unspecified Feeding or Eating Disorder (UFED) which is for those who don't fit into any of the other categories, but still display symptoms of an ED.

ReputationRep:
    My doctor agrees that having short term counselling wouldn't help and might stir up issues which then get left unresolved.
    Ah. In that case, I don't really know what to say to help :

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ziggy Sawdust)
    People saying super skinny because "it'd be more fun to gain weight than lose it", you realise that you would likely have a tiny appetite and more than a few mouthfuls at once would make you feel incredibly sick?

Edit: also if were talking super skinny as in BMI < 15 you'd be a high risk of multiple organ failure, hair and teeth loss, osteoporosis etc
    Same with being fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Oh I'm not saying treatment isn't available
    Trust me I'm thoroughly educated in eating disorders and not for the nicest of reasons. But really the help you get does often come down to who you go to talk to, sometimes you really do just end up with an incompetent GP who won't refer you and you have to seek a second opinion (and often it takes so much courage to go in the first place) being shot down can really put you off going to the doctors about it again. I've been there it crushed me going to seek help and just having the door shut on me. Of course this probably isn't the norm but it does happen.
    Tbh, I agree, that's what really frustrates me. It seems every year that diagnostic manual is published, there's a massive step in the direction for mental health, in theory. They've claimed to really have moved forward with eating disorders, focussing on it on such an individual level. But from what I can see, it makes barely any difference when it comes down to seeing the GP. They need to really focus on mental health in GPs, because the one by me is appalling. I've known people with mental health problems who've had great support from GPs, but there's so much inconsistency, which there shouldn't be.

Sorry for the rant!, it's just so wrong that people aren't receiving the support they deserve.

ReputationRep:
    I just did my BMI and I rolled in at 18.5%, just in the healthy zone for my height, I'd definitely rather be super skinny, it'd be much less of an adjustment and I can eat enough food now to get slow weight gain, I can't see the loss of 4% BMI drastically changing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TolerantBeing)
    Tbh, I agree, that's what really frustrates me. It seems every year that diagnostic manual is published, there's a massive step in the direction for mental health, in theory. They've claimed to really have moved forward with eating disorders, focussing on it on such an individual level. But from what I can see, it makes barely any difference when it comes down to seeing the GP. They need to really focus on mental health in GPs, because the one by me is appalling. I've known people with mental health problems who've had great support from GPs, but there's so much inconsistency, which there shouldn't be.

Sorry for the rant!, it's just so wrong that people aren't receiving the support they deserve.
    Oh I'm ranting along with you! No need to apologise, I completely agree. GPs need to have more mental health training. When I left my GP having had absolutely no help I was lost had no idea what to do and became suicidal. It is not okay for GPs to be putting vulnerable people in these frames of minds due to lack of training.

ReputationRep:
    Super skinny because then I could eat a lot and become normal :ahee:

But neither really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow Student)
    Actually skinny can be an insult if you put it into an insulting context.

Also, skinny has very negative connotations too.

But it's your body and your choice so what the heck.
    I was more meaning for women. Guys tend to not give a **** about weight You tell them they are fat, they go "Yup, paid and bought". You call them skinny and they go "Yup, too lazy to change it and like saving money on the food bill".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Skinny...

I enjoy being able to see my feet (and other things...) and being able to get up and walk.

Obese super fat people are disgusting.
    What the other things you like to see? :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    SUPERSKINNY!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.