Things you do which are socially "frowned upon"? Watch

Marco1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When the muse takes me, I like to speak and behave anachronistically. Sadly, the neighbours don't seem to share my enthusiasm. For the last few weeks I have enjoyed taking on the persona of a courtly troubadour from the Middle Ages, singing out my lyric poems at dusk toward the higher bedroom windows of terrace houses, behind which maidens brush their hair, practice the harpsichord and embroider pastoral scenes.
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jibola240)
Really?
The ultimate TSR hand-wringing exercise is to ask if you would be looked down upon or frowned upon if you did something that was unacceptable.
moggington
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BoBosus)
You should have respect for your elders.

That sounds a bit pervy/creepy what exactly do you plan on doing to them?

Why don't you have any friends? sounds like a sad lonely life.

What do you mean? I'm probably richer than your parents many people are.
Of course I do, but if I'm only going to pick up essentials e.g. stationary, books, food or whatever, it doesn't need to be a whole big organised shopping trip with friends. Whenever we go shopping together, it's fun, but we end up spending 7+ hours out and then coming home with like one bag, so sometimes it's a lot easier to just pop out (seeing as everything's only 20 minutes away) and grab the things I need.
Laomedeia
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
  • Speed. Seriously, on the open road I really cant stick to 60mph. Many limits have been lowered to 50mph. People in power are literally trying to un-invent motorized transport in an attempt to boost the cycle industry. The more people who ride bicycles, the less fat *******s.

• Piss behind opaque bus shelters when im drunk.

• Get very drunk.

• Swear and ****ing curse.
Firenze26
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not sure if you can say it's socially frowned upon but I find it a bit relaxing to find a corner in the corridor and just sit there before my next class. I always get people asking me to stand up and go out with people, and stop brooding.

I get a little irritated, I guess, I mean I'm really happy that they're concerned but I don't see anything wrong, I mean if your a bit of an introvert, and like to be alone every once in a while, that doesn't mean your depress or brooding.

P.S. Just my opinion btw
syrettd
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by skd1996)
I say renember instead of remember.
I'm not the only one! I used to have a friend who got really annoyed when I said it. I was just like get the **** over it. :cool:
ScottishShortiex
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
Well in Britain, speaking to a stranger to say anything other than "excuse me".

(Original post by Carpe Vinum)
:lol: I was gonna say "smiling at strangers".
I wouldn't say these were 'socially unacceptable', at least not up here in Scotland anyway. It's quite common here. I smile at strangers all the time.
effofex
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by stargirl63)
So when I was with a friend,my phone rang and he saw on my wallpaper was a picture of myself, a selfie I took about a week earlier. No other friends, no clever caption or meme, just me. He thought this was weird and said that no one does this. I didn't really understand that, because from my point of view, I looked nice :rolleyes: and so yes, I wouldn't mind looking at that picture when I unlock my phone. I didn't even think it suggests I'm vain, because it's not like I'm showing everyone, uploaded it online, or even wanted him to see...it's just for me.

Does anyone else actually do this? Or see the problem in it?

What things do you do which could be seen as perhaps a little socially unacceptable?
I'm quite open about visiting sex workers, which some people find socially unacceptable.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cah846)
That's a shame - I'm the other way round, born in London and grew up near Crewe :P
Cockney scum! Get out of...Crewe???
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not liking or wanting kids
Swear a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jessica433
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not eating a 4-finger KitKat one finger at a time.
username1107539
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by redferry)
Cockney scum! Get out of...Crewe???
Yeah that's pretty much what we've been told every day since we moved here
Mannz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Staring at hot people in public.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cah846)
Yeah that's pretty much what we've been told every day since we moved here
And rightly so
username1107539
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by redferry)
And rightly so
Haha believe me if I had the chance to go back to London I would although I did fall in love up here, so I wouldn't change that...
Катя
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SHOO)
Going to the cinema alone to watch a movie is actually so much better than going with someone. The other week I asked if anyone wanted to watch a film and no one was up for it, they would rather stay home and do something else so off I went and enjoyed the movie so much more.

You can eat what you want, sit where you want, leave when you want to, watch what you want to.. It's just so much better.

Why is it socially unacceptable to watch a movie alone =_= why do people feel obliged to take someone with them, to sit in silence with :/
Let's go and ignore each other in a dark room, together!
SHOO
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Катя)
Let's go and ignore each other in a dark room, together!
It's ridiculous honestly!
MedMed12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm at the point where I don't care what anyone thinks and in some cases, if something I do pisses someone off, I'll do it more LOL.

I can think of anything in particular of what people may socially frown upon, but some people have found it weird that I have never tried alcohol and don't intend to either.
Amongst the asian community, haha the list is longer... i.e. some say its wrong that I'm living out for University.
PsychadelicScarf
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I will happily walk around barefoot.

I once walked around college barefoot becuase my shoes had been rubbing like mad. I don't know, I just really like it for some reason :dontknow:
zahra_d
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SHOO)
Going to the cinema alone to watch a movie is actually so much better than going with someone. The other week I asked if anyone wanted to watch a film and no one was up for it, they would rather stay home and do something else so off I went and enjoyed the movie so much more.

You can eat what you want, sit where you want, leave when you want to, watch what you want to.. It's just so much better.

Why is it socially unacceptable to watch a movie alone =_= why do people feel obliged to take someone with them, to sit in silence with :/
I've never really understood the cinema thing either tbh, I've done it before and feels fine I guess it's usually associated with being a shared experience rather than something you can do alone - the world is a strange, strange place
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.52%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (221)
41.08%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.41%

Watched Threads