Turn on thread page Beta

That's so gay - does anyone say it anymore? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    X
    I would add that I'm employed by a very working class university, I live in a working class area and I'm quite involved in local Labour politics where the local party members tend to be traditional working class folk. In terms of my friends, most of them are in the legal profession or higher education, and I can't imagine any of my friends or Labour comrades or colleagues using the word gay in that way.

You talk about a sense of perspective; from where I'm sitting, having perspective would be seeing that not using this word costs you nothing and is the decent thing to do, given the consequences that widespread use of the word has on the lives of gay teens. You yourself accept that it is ignorant and juvenile, I'm merely adding that people should consider what effect that this ignorant and juvenile use of the word gay has on certain people.

ReputationRep:
    Say it everyday probably.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed a trope in this thread (and elsewhere on the interwebs) that some people who are attached to using the word gay to mean rubbish are making laughable claims that gay people "hijacked" the good old wholesome word gay that used to mean "happy".

This is hilarious because they have to defend their thoughtless bigotry with a complete etymological/historical fabrication. Gay has had an additional meaning since as early as the 1670s, when it meant a man who was "addicted to pleasure and the dissolute lifestyle". Later on it had the additional meaning of a prostitute, amongst other things. As early as the 1920s, a "gaycat" meant a homosexual man.

Are the thoughtless bigots really going to claim that the "gay lobby" had "hijacked" the word in the 1670s?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    So-called "gays" stole the word in the first place to employ as a political euphemism to try and make their activity sound less repugnant
    Oh deary me, you really must be struggling if you have to completely fabricate a fantasy etymology/history for the word gay.

The word gay has had a double-meaning for hundreds of years. As early as the 1670s, the word gay meant a man who was "addicted to pleasure and the dissolute lifestyle". In the 1800s it often meant prostitute, and in the 1920s "gaycat" meant a male homosexual.

I know it gratifies you to ramble on about the "gay lobby" who "hijack" everything good and wholesome, including the honoured traditional meaning of the word "gay", the evil gay lobby just wants to destroy everything good :rolleyes: I think you have some explaining to do.

Of course, your problems with the meaning of the word gay is not surprising given you find almost everything in the modern world (black people, immigrants, debit cards, sushi) confusing and frightening

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostUncivilised)
    Do you think the use the word gay to mean bad/rubbish/undesirable has declined?

It has been ages since I last heard it (and not being a schoolboy anymore, I didn't hear it that much anyway). It seems as though people aren't really saying it anymore, probably because linguistically we have moved on (just like all word usage has a sell-by date, it's a bit dated) but also because of the social changes that have also occurred during this time.

What are your views?
    the problem for me is that i don't swear.

literally never sworn in my life.
    ironically, the general response is for people to swear in disbelief and assume i'm lying.

since i don't swear, i am/was somewhat limited in words to say to people in certain situations
    as a kid, i used to use the word gay a lot whilst my other friends were swearing all over the place

don't misunderstand, i have no problem with homosexuality - my roommate is actually gay himself; he finds it funny that i sometimes say the phrase by accident, because it was my go-to phrase as a kid, and it has just become a natural response sometimes:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    He's not right, originally it wasn't gay people who called themselves gay, it was society generally that changed the meaning of the word. And the difference is that using gay to mean an identity is not a harmful and hurtful thing to say, saying it to mean bad/rubbish is hurtful.

We are certainly in agreement there
    I never said he was right about homosexuals "hijacking" the word, all I am in agreement with is that the word has changed meaning over time.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny sometimes to say things like "homosexuality is really gay" and watch people's reaction as they start to take offense and then stop and think, 'wait a second....'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoBosus)
    Why what does it mean to you?

Those words are accepted
    When I use it, it's for something annoying. Gay test, Gay national rail...

ReputationRep:
    Quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Yes this is normal in a social circle of unsophisticated state school individuals..
    Whoa, we got a badass over here.

ReputationRep:
    I hear it a lot.

I'm not offended by it, but I do judge people who use it. There are millions of words in the English language, and plenty to choose from when it comes to denouncing something, and all you've got is, "That's so gay."?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    When I use it, it's for something annoying. Gay test, Gay national rail...
    It's like me calling a white man a N, It is inappropriately used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlisomes)
    it's not my problem. perhaps be a bit less sensitive since you can't absolutely control what others say or their intent.
    Or you could just not use the word in that context.

What's more important, your "personal freedom" to use a single, insulting word, or the upset that using the word causes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FelixTheKat)
    Or you could just not use the word in that context.

What's more important, your "personal freedom" to use a single, insulting word, or the upset that using the word causes.
    When did I say I was using it? lol.. you can't control what others do. and you can remove yourself from the situation at hand, or learn that some people/situations are ****ty and won't be nice to you...

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough, I mostly hear it used in that context by gay people.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I heard people say it quite a lot when i was at school.
    Ive barely heard people say it since ive left school though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh deary me, you really must be struggling if you have to completely fabricate a fantasy etymology/history for the word gay.

The word gay has had a double-meaning for hundreds of years. As early as the 1670s, the word gay meant a man who was "addicted to pleasure and the dissolute lifestyle". In the 1800s it often meant prostitute, and in the 1920s "gaycat" meant a male homosexual.

I know it gratifies you to ramble on about the "gay lobby" who "hijack" everything good and wholesome, including the honoured traditional meaning of the word "gay", the evil gay lobby just wants to destroy everything good :rolleyes: I think you have some explaining to do.

Of course, your problems with the meaning of the word gay is not surprising given you find almost everything in the modern world (black people, immigrants, debit cards, sushi) confusing and frightening
    If homosexuals want to use euphemisms within their own circles to describe their activity then that is of course entirely their affair and few need know about it unless they are for some reason interested in that. However when aggressive homosexual politics lobbies plaster the term on billboards, bus advertising, talk about "gay issues" and use their luvvie friends in Hollywood and the media as a soapbox to promote their agenda then they are putting it in the public domain and therefore have no right to balk at people assigning the term a pejorative meaning if they so wish.

I myself see no reason to bow to the linguistic demands of the homosexual politics lobby, letting the enemy control the terminology with which concepts are described has been a catastrophic error from so-called conservatives ("gay" politics being just one of several salient examples).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    :blah:
    Are you ready to concede that you were laughably wrong when you claimed the word had been "hijacked" by the gaylluminati, given it has had morality/sexuality related double meanings since the 1670s?

ReputationRep:
    Yes this is normal in a social circle of unsophisticated state school individuals..
    because sophisticated social circles are too gay

ReputationRep:
    I concur with OP's observations.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.