Edexcel Chemistry Unit 1 IAL (WCH01) Core principles of chemistry - 23rd May 2014 Watch

ybadri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what dd u write for why the bond energy for cl-cl bond greater than for f-f bond?
Vivekmaj
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by saifulahmed)
for orbital i think the third one will be 8 or 16.
for the rest i hope they are correct cause i got the same answers.
No! the one of n=3 has two ways to get, you can use the formula 2n^2 or add the subshells (S+P+D) EITHER WAY YOU GET 18 as those are the max no of electrons if however they stated that it follows the octet rule then your answer of 8 would be correct
Vivekmaj
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ybadri)
what dd u write for why the bond energy for cl-cl bond greater than for f-f bond?
I only answered the question where it asked why F-F bond has a higher bond enthalpy, the one where the question was vice versa made me blank and i had no clue
Fattyma97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So is it 8 or 18?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fattyma97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Vivekmaj)
I only answered the question where it asked why F-F bond has a higher bond enthalpy, the one where the question was vice versa made me blank and i had no clue
Sameeee they can't make us contradict ourselves

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vivekmaj
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fattyma97)
So is it 8 or 18?

Posted from TSR Mobile
koko1234
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sameeee they can't make us contradict ourselves

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me too!!
Ripper Phoenix
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
lmao i just googled it and F-F is weaker than Cl-Cl... they say because of some repulsions..come on guys google it!!!
Ripper Phoenix
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
even though i wrote something diff in the exam paper!
Ripper Phoenix
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by noosh_s)
could someone make an unofficial mark scheme please???
it would be difficult! there were too many questions lol .. going to see my tuition teacher soon so will clarify all doubtts!
isam nazer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what is the answer of the question about the E and Z ismoers ?
hhalai96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
for the mean bond enthalpy .. was the answer suppose to be +416 or - ??
lattice enthalpy = -1046
for he h20 thing = -77
hhalai96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Vivekmaj)

i wrote F-F has a shorter bond hence more force of attraction compare to CL-Cl bond which is longer ...
for the next question i was blank toooo...
and in that same question the last one where it says why F-F bond don't require UV ... is it fine if you write fluorine is more reactive than chlorine
Fattyma97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wrote that too!!! Btw, I really hope the grade boundaries aren't too high for an A what do u think they will be
Ripper Phoenix
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wrote that too!!! Btw, I really hope the grade boundaries aren't too high for an A what do u think they will be
well tbh jan 14 was easy and the boundary was 58 .. now for this paper.. it was tricky and goood.. so i am expecting a 60 mark for the A.. what do u think?
Ripper Phoenix
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bond energy (in kJ/mol)

F-F:158
Cl-Cl: 244
Br-Br-:193
I-I: 151

Hence, in order of decreasing bond strength:
Cl-Cl => Br-Br => (F-F) => I-I
Fluorine is an anomaly.

Bond strength decreases from chlorine to iodine as down the group, the atomic size becomes larger and thus the valence electron orbitals become more diffused, causing the overlap of orbitals to become less effective. Therefore the halogen-halogen bond becomes weaker from chlorine to iodine.

Fluorine is an exception due to its extremely small size. The F-F bond length is so short that the lone pairs of electrons on the fluorine atoms repel each other and weakens the F-F bond.

I hope that answers your question.
Fattyma97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Paras Agarwal)
well tbh jan 14 was easy and the boundary was 58 .. now for this paper.. it was tricky and goood.. so i am expecting a 60 mark for the A.. what do u think?
Some people are saying it will be 62-65, don't u think that's a little too high? I think 60 is reasonable not higher. :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
avishyaa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what do you guys think the grade boundaries will be for an A?
Because if many people find it tricky, the grade boundaries could always go to a 56-58 as well. It just depends on the overall performance
avishyaa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
also guys, can someone link me to the Edexcel Biology IAL that happened on 21st may??
Ripper Phoenix
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by avishyaa)
also guys, can someone link me to the Edexcel Biology IAL that happened on 21st may??
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...el+ial+biology

thats the thread but not much was discussed..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1365)
79.73%
Leave (347)
20.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed