Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think that england has chance in world cup? watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    I don't think you know much, really. Uruguay are nothing special, they have Suarez and Cavani but the rest of the team is average.
    England's team is incredibly average too, so what's your point? Their midfield looks poor but i'd rather have Uruguay's defence than England's. On the plus side, their squad is virtually the same as 2010. Look at their team from the 3rd place play off:

Muslera, Lugano, Godin, Fucile, Pereira, Caceres, Perez, Arevalo Rios, Cavani, Suarez, Forlan

Willing to bet that the team which starts against England won't be too different, all 11 of those players are in the squad. If Suarez is out (which would be ****ing hilarious, karma for that Ghana game) then even better. Whoever wins our game will go through as runners up, because Italy will win the group comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    England's team is incredibly average too, so what's your point? Their midfield looks poor but i'd rather have Uruguay's defence than England's. On the plus side, their squad is virtually the same as 2010. Look at their team from the 3rd place play off:

Muslera, Lugano, Godin, Fucile, Pereira, Caceres, Perez, Arevalo Rios, Cavani, Suarez, Forlan

Willing to bet that the team which starts against England won't be too different, all 11 of those players are in the squad. If Suarez is out (which would be ****ing hilarious, karma for that Ghana game) then even better. Whoever wins our game will go through as runners up, because Italy will win the group comfortably.
    Is England's team average though? 4 of our front 6 were key members in a team that scored over 100 league goals. 1 CB was a key member of the best defence in the league, the other CB and the LB of the third best. Then you've got Hart, Rooney and Lallana who are quality players. Glen Johnson is also there... I think England are better than people give them credit for.

Uruguay's semi final appearance in 2010 flatters them. They beat South Korea 2-1 in the round of 16 and Ghana on penalties in the quarter final, then went out to the first good team they played. And their best player from that WC, Forlan, is now 35. More recently, they came 5th in qualifying so that's more relevant.

ReputationRep:
    Roy says we are starting the reserves tomorrow. Oh. Except Rooney of course. He is starting anyway. This is why we will never get out of the group.

ReputationRep:
    http://newsthump.com/2014/06/02/engl...veals-hodgson/

ReputationRep:
    They have absolutely no chance whatsoever but Ill be supporting them every game no matter what because its all national pride

ReputationRep:
    gerrard will have a blunder against that italy midfield - the most high pirlo and his protege son gohan aka veratti will cause a mockery in da middle good gawd

it will be like that cell episode were gohan was fighting cell over 300 episodes with the guidance of goku

shut down.

anyway,judging by that peru game, englands best chances are scoring from set pieces, corners free kicks etc or if sturridge and sterling take them shots at goal but
    we all know the gawd buffon won't stand for it soooooooooooo:erm:

best thing monsieur owl can do is leave rooney out of the starting xi,best thing for football in general tbh

Spoiler:
    Show
    btw if me talking all this good stuff for weeks comes back to bite me and engrund win all 3 games and then beat Argentina in the final and rooney wins golden boot and ball...... u can ban my account i will not return. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Is England's team average though? 4 of our front 6 were key members in a team that scored over 100 league goals. 1 CB was a key member of the best defence in the league, the other CB and the LB of the third best. Then you've got Hart, Rooney and Lallana who are quality players. Glen Johnson is also there... I think England are better than people give them credit for.

Uruguay's semi final appearance in 2010 flatters them. They beat South Korea 2-1 in the round of 16 and Ghana on penalties in the quarter final, then went out to the first good team they played. And their best player from that WC, Forlan, is now 35. More recently, they came 5th in qualifying so that's more relevant.
    Thank you for identifying Chelsea as having the best Defense in the BPL, I hear too few give us credit for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    Roy says we are starting the reserves tomorrow. Oh. Except Rooney of course. He is starting anyway. This is why we will never get out of the group.
    Rooney isn't match fit, he needs these games. And Roy has said he has to prove himself in them to be sure of starting against Italy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukec95)
    Thank you for identifying Chelsea as having the best Defense in the BPL, I hear too few give us credit for it.
    every one that has watched the premier league this season know that maureen's boys cahill azpi terry and branislav have been fantastic

ReputationRep:
    Rooney isn't match fit, he needs these games. And Roy has said he has to prove himself in them to be sure of starting against Italy.
    He looked knackered against Peru lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm calling, England to win all games in the group stage and get to Semi final

ReputationRep:
    lol.:2euk48l:

ReputationRep:
    I'm literally so sure brazil will win the world cup. But I really want England to get far. We have some good young talent and Steve g will do his thing. I want to see the ox and sterling to have a hand. Sturridge and will be a good st if rooney or plays CAM.

ReputationRep:
    Though every international competition I buy an England shirt and we lose. This time, I can't afford that 70 pound t shirt. Honestly, with then world talent, I don't think England will, but look at Greece in Euro 2004 etc. any things possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thugnificent.)
    every one that has watched the premier league this season know that maureen's boys cahill azpi terry and branislav have been fantastic
    As well as Chelsea fans I am surrounded by Arsenal supporters and Suarez bum boy Liverpool fans so we get quite a bit hate as you do in football but its nice to know some people notice, I give my fair share of praise to the opposition when I can as well.

ReputationRep:
    Very good post, repped.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think you have a chance of winning it, but you could do alright if you manage to get past the tricky group. QF's would probably be at best, SF's if you're lucky and have a very good tournament.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Is England's team average though? 4 of our front 6 were key members in a team that scored over 100 league goals. 1 CB was a key member of the best defence in the league, the other CB and the LB of the third best. Then you've got Hart, Rooney and Lallana who are quality players. Glen Johnson is also there... I think England are better than people give them credit for..
    You can say the exact same thing for Uruguay though. Godin has been one of the best CB's in Europe this season, Caceres has played for a top Juventus team (who also had the best defence in the league), Suarez has just had the best season of his career and Cavani is a quality player.

Hart's been poor for the past two seasons, Rooney doesn't perform for England and is facing calls to be dropped altogether, as for Glen Johnson he is only in there because there is nobody else.

Not sure why people keep quoting qualifying performance as a measure of how the team will perform either. Remind me how England did in 2010 qualifiers, and how they actually performed at the tournament? Also Uruguay had to go through a play off then - remind me how they did in 2010?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Not sure why people keep quoting qualifying performance as a measure of how the team will perform either. Remind me how England did in 2010 qualifiers, and how they actually performed at the tournament?
    We were cheated, so much so it was the match that brought goal line technology in.

Also Uruguay had to go through a play off then - remind me how they did in 2010?
    Fluked it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    You can say the exact same thing for Uruguay though. Godin has been one of the best CB's in Europe this season, Caceres has played for a top Juventus team (who also had the best defence in the league), Suarez has just had the best season of his career and Cavani is a quality player.

Hart's been poor for the past two seasons, Rooney doesn't perform for England and is facing calls to be dropped altogether, as for Glen Johnson he is only in there because there is nobody else.

Not sure why people keep quoting qualifying performance as a measure of how the team will perform either. Remind me how England did in 2010 qualifiers, and how they actually performed at the tournament? Also Uruguay had to go through a play off then - remind me how they did in 2010?
    Caceres: but he's not first choice, he made just 17 league appearances, so it's different to Cahill who was a regular starter (30 appearances).

Hart: true, but he got better over the last few months of this season.

Rooney: 7 goals in WCQ, 3 ahead of anyone else in the group and just 1 behind Ronaldo and Ibra, suggests he does play well for England. And he does, although admittedly not in tournaments. But I think it was actually you (?) who pointed out that of the three tournaments he hasn't performed in, he was rushed back from injury for two of them and was suspended for most of the other.

Individually, I don't really think there's an argument to be had, England are clearly better. Of course whether that can actually be translated to results is a different matter.

Wrt qualifiers, I think it's a case of you can often perform well in qualifying but not reproduce that in the actual tournament, but you're unlikely to perform badly throughout qualifying then suddenly get better in the tournament. And I don't think Uruguay in 2010, coming through a play off but reaching the semis disproves that, as they didn't actually do that well.

They won against South Africa, Mexico and South Korea, drew against France (the only point France got) and Ghana, and lost to Holland and Germany. Nothing special there at all, they had an easy run. If France hadn't capitulated, and had won the group as expected, Uruguay would've faced Argentina in the round of 16 and gone out.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.