Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    "Trying to figure out whether I'll have enough money left to go travelling during holidays."

Oh, college have quite generous travel grants, if you plan early and make it vaguely relevent to your studies (or just tell them you need a break from academic life) then your likely to get some free college cash!

ReputationRep:
    Although you have to make sure you apply in time unlike what we did. The college is quite generous in that department.

Make sure you reply about college parents quickly...we're sad but we really really want children

Do we know for certain by the way that people are definitely being shunted (note the negative connotations) to Jesus?

....Joe...aren't you meant to be at work? :P

ReputationRep:
    Yay I just got my freshers' pack in the mail! (Assuming they mailed it last Wednesday which is when my offer was confirmed, that makes it 5 days from the UK to Singapore...!! =))

Anyway can someone nice please help me check out BS 29? At Benet Street... =)

And really... travel grants even if you're not a home student, don't have student support at all, and are just going for the sake of leisure (or for errr... increasing general knowledge =P)?

Edit: Oops okay. "You are strongly urged to give your permission (by signing the cover of the reply booklet) for us to put you in contact with your College 'parents'. They have volunteered to help you, so please do use them!"

ReputationRep:
    Ohh Catherine Scott's old room. Its quite nice, with slopey ceiling. Give me a minute I'll get the details for you.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking room.

Type 6
    Location 10
    Area 13
    Floor 1
    Outlook 12
    Noise -1
    Basin 4
    Radiator 6
    Toilets 9
    Bathroom 6
    Gyp room 7
    Total 73

Rent of £655.71 at term.

In 2005-2006, Catherine Scott had Benet 29 as a 1st year room. They commented on the room as follows:
    "This is a great room. It's a great size (you can squeeze between twenty and thirty people in if they don't have intimacy issues) and albeit the walls are designed for cracking your head on whenever you sit up in bed they give it lots of character. It tends to be fairly dark, but with a bit of extra lighting it's fine. Also don't believe what college says about the noise rating: being right at the top of Benet and at the end of its corridor the noise is minimal unless you have really loud neighbours.

Right opposite a (not very good, but at least now functional) shower and toilet; massive kitchen with two hobs, kettle, toaster and oven just down the hall.

Basically it's a terrific room. Highly recommended - even if "balcony" is a bit of an overoptimistic term ..."

In 2004-2005, Gerard Ridgway had Benet 29 as a 4th year room. They commented on the room as follows:
    "As one of the privileged few to have enjoyed Corpus's one true Balcony (my deceased plant still adorns Bedlam 62's hallowed paving slabs), I must take umbrage at Leckey's "balcony" reference; even quoted, this is an outrageous claim. This is nothing more than an oversized gutter, full of bird****, and John Marshall's decaying shoes.

On a more positive note, the gyp room is now fit to be called a kitchen. It contains a good sized* oven/grill with two hobs, a microwave, a toaster, and a kettle.
    (*By good sized, I mean you can fit a whole pizza in it, as opposed to the infamous New Court gyp cookers, which require you to toast bread one slice at a time)

The only downside with the kitchen is that if you happen to be a decent, trusting kind of person, optimistic about the fundamental goodness of humanity, and at the same time you have the misfortune of sharing the facilities with the sort of criminal individual who will stoop so low as to steal anything from a yoghurt to a can of beer and beyond, additionally making your spoon and glass complicit in the crime, and returning them months later (if at all) with cigarette ash and a cottonbud in the bottom of the once treasured Corpus bar promotional budweiser glass, then you may find your enjoyment of the kitchen -- not to mention your faith in mankind -- degraded by the experience.

One last thing, the beam above the westernmost window appears to have a disturbingly large crack running part way through it. Now, I'm no engineer, but if I were you, I wouldn't position any chairs directly under that beam..."

In 2003-2004, Helen Sinclair had Benet 29 as a 2nd year room, allocated via the reserve list. They commented on the room as follows:
    "Surprising large yes- the sloping ceiling results in the wardrobe being the first thing you see as you walk in the door and a two foot gap between it and another wall into the room. However, once you're in it's great. Be aware though that it has quite a low ceiling. Two dormer windows with wonderful views out onto St. Bene't's and the rooves of college. It is generally quiet accept on Sunday mornings at 9am and some Friday evenings when the university guild of bell ringers play. There are two storage heaters so there is no chance of getting cold- it'll cost you though. Could probably do with a bit more storage but I admit that I do tend to collect a lot of stuff throughout the year. Wardrobe is very annoying as you have to open the door and turn the lights on in the corridor to get a good look into it. The shower directly opposite the room is not really to my tastes- one of the ones where you have to keep pressing a button to make it work. Nearest gyp room is very big but only a single hob. However, if you don't like the nearest facilities there are plenty of others nearby."

In 2002-2003, Jessica Leckey had Benet 29 as a 2nd year room. They commented on the room as follows:
    "This is a surprisingly large attic room with real beams and sloping ceilings. There is plenty of furniture, including four comfy chairs, a sink and a "balcony" for summertime revision. There is very little street noise too."

ReputationRep:
    wow you 2 are keen!

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised how much you can get for "expanding your general knowledge" and other such ...reasons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biggie-n)
    wow you 2 are keen!
    By keen do you mean me and Joe or me and Psyche? At any rate, the long vacation gets very boring and we really can't wait to get back to college. Despite the work.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good, just slightly put off by the "smoking" bit (since I definitely ticked "non-smoking"). Oh well.

The travel grants sound good! =)

ReputationRep:
    Smoking doesn't necessarily mean that previous occupants have smoked. You will find that the vast majority of people in Cambridge don't smoke. I can tell you for a fact that Catherine is not a smoker so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

ReputationRep:
    Okay that's good then! =) Was just a little worried... =P

Oh and is it possible to tell me which floor the room is on? Since well what I can gather from all that info is that it's on the top floor - but how high exactly is that?

ReputationRep:
    haha, I forgot you didn't know. Benet is a maze. A new smell behind every door or so it goes!

29 is up several flights of stairs and down several corridors its on the third floor if memory serves. hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, guess I'll have to get used to climbing stairs I guess and to navigating my way. =P

Thanks for the help and info! =)

ReputationRep:
    Oh I keep forgetting to ask... does Corpus allow the use of Skype and similar stuff?

ReputationRep:
    no idea about skype. wouldn't see why not. i think most of the rooms have phone lines. not really sure, didn't use mine...think it might be free to call other rooms in college....don't actually know.
    benet 29 is pretty much at the top. well signposter. believe me it's needed.

ReputationRep:
    You need a public IP address for Skype. Corpus apparently use private IPs with NAT which won't work with Skype, but public IPs are available on request.

ReputationRep:
    another q: my reading list for economics is rather extensive, so any idea where i can get them quite cheap/used apart from ebay?

ReputationRep:
    I used half.com to purchase all of my books, it's ebay without the pain of bidding

ReputationRep:
    The University itself has banned Skype and also Limewire because they are so bandwidth hungry. Cambridge is a massive hub and so has huge bandwidth. Though Cambridge comscis have ways of bypassing the security. DC++ is a Godsend. Plus, the computer guy (as most know him in Corpus) is not the best.

I don't know about Economics, I'll check if I can, but in the law faculty there is a sale of second books previously owned by students at the beginning of each year. They're normally very much cheaper than anything you can get in Heffers. Also, Heffers does second hand sale of books. Further to that, if you're very nice to your new parents they may sell you books they don't need anymore for a significantly reduced price.

ReputationRep:
    Oh! A question. Have you sent off your picture for your green card yet? If you haven't make sure you like it, you're stuck with it for the next 3 years

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.