The Student Room Group

If Messi wins the WC, is anyone going to claim that Ronaldo is better?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Messi is G.O.A.T (greatest of all time)
Original post by Jordooooom
People always make up excuses for Ronaldo.

'Awww his team is ****'. First of all they have better players than both the USA and ghana. Unlike messi, ronaldo was probably his teams worst player. If he didn't miss all those sitters maybe they could have went through.

Messi winning the World Cup doesn't automatically mean he's better. But if he carries on to single handily drag argentina to the trophy then it further proves his greatness.

What excuses would ronaldo fanboys have left then? That he's never played in the premier league and so has never truly been tested? LOL

You always seem to talk about Ronaldo fan-boys, yet LightBlueSoldier and yourself are the biggest (Messi) fan-boys on this forum. Actually, there are more Messi fan-boys than Ronaldo fan-boys. There's no point in debating Ronaldo vs Messi with you, as you're so bias. It actually weakens your argument, as it's so obvious. At least give Ronaldo a bit of praise to make it look like you're neutral.

----------------------------------------------------------------

It annoys me when people say 'Messi/Ronaldo isn't as good as Pele/Maradona/'. I firmly believe the ultimate test of a footballers ability is in the Champions League. Messi and Ronaldo have smashed that tournament year in, year out. I don't give a **** about the amount of goals Pele scored for some ****ty Brazilian team. Amateur league.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ronaldo vs Messi will continue for as long as Ronaldo & Messi score a similar amount of goals.
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
So messi was better in the strongest facet of Ronaldo's game? Not making much of argument are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't even know why I'm having this conversation, I don't think Ronaldo is better than Messi. I just think you're overstating the difference between the 2. It's undeniable that Ronaldo had a better season last year, and there's no reason why that should not be the case next year as well.
Original post by Manchester United
It annoys me when people say 'Messi/Ronaldo isn't as good as Pele/Maradona/'. I firmly believe the ultimate test of a footballers ability is in the Champions League. Messi and Ronaldo have smashed that tournament year in, year out. I don't give a **** about the amount of goals Pele scored for some ****ty Brazilian team. Amateur league.

I think Messi is the best of all time, but I completely agree with what you have said. While Pele's achievements in the World Cup are very impressive, I don't think you can call someone the greatest of all time based on 4 World Cups. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine many folk watched Pele play for Santos week in, week out.

As you suggest, the Champions League offers a platform for all the best players to compete against one another and Messi and Ronaldo have dominated the competition in recent years. We also see them doing it every week for their club teams. I refuse to listen to anyone who says La Liga is not a competitive league, as the Champions League and UEFA Cup/Europa League titles Spanish teams have won suggest otherwise.
You always seem to talk about Ronaldo fan-boys, yet LightBlueSoldier and yourself are the biggest (Messi) fan-boys on this forum. Actually, there are more Messi fan-boys than Ronaldo fan-boys. There's no point in debating Ronaldo vs Messi with you, as you're so bias. It actually weakens your argument, as it's so obvious. At least give Ronaldo a bit of praise to make it look like you're neutral.

----------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ronaldo vs Messi will continue for as long as Ronaldo & Messi score a similar amount of goals.

It's not my bias, because it is a mathematical fact that messi is the better player. You are obliged to hold your opinion that ronaldo is better but that's all it can ever be. Your wrong opinion
Original post by xDave-
What does winning the world cup have to do with anything? Portugal are a **** team who got knocked out by Pepe's stupidity. What do you want Ronaldo to do, pay for Pepe to have some anger management? Ronaldo already carried them to the world cup, but there's only so much one player can do.

Argentina won't win anyway.

Don't you if yoy realised but Messi alone is carrying Argentina.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jordooooom
It's not my bias, because it is a mathematical fact that messi is the better player. You are obliged to hold your opinion that ronaldo is better but that's all it can ever be. Your wrong opinion

What about this mathematical argument;

2013-14;

Lionel Messi;

Apps - 46
Goals - 41 (0.891 goals per game)
Assists - 14 (0.304 assists per game)

Cristiano Ronaldo;

Apps - 47
Goals - 51 (1.085 goals per game)
Assists - 15 (0.319 assists per game)

Based purely on those statistics I've presented you, Ronaldo is mathematically better (at assisting and scoring in the 2013-14 season). You could argue that Messi was better at passing and was therefore the better player in 2013-14. However, I could argue Ronaldo performed better on the biggest stage; Champions League. We could also debate the impact of injuries. They play in different positions, how much importance do we place on the fact that Ronaldo is a winger and Messi is a striker? They play in different teams, how much importance should we place on the difference in abilities of the players in their respective teams?

The Ballon d'Or is based on the majority of opinions;

Perhaps a journalist thinks Ronaldo is more arrogant and places a lot of importance on perceived personalities and therefore this influences him to vote for Messi. Perhaps another journalist considers legal issues to be of great importance and this influences him to vote for Ronaldo because Messi wasn't transparent with his tax payments.

It all boils down to how the individual (that is judging) distributes the importance of the different qualitative and quantitative arguments. Therefore, this becomes an opinion and not a strict mathematical argument.

If you think Messi is better, that's your opinion. If I think Ronaldo is better, that's my opinion.
Stupid thread. Players don't win the World Cup, teams do.

Argentina won't win anyway, they are **** and the players only play for themselves.
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS

This.

Argentina won't win anyway, they are **** and the players only play for themselves.

Oh so you have a crystal ball and saw the future? No? Then shut up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
Oh so you have a crystal ball and saw the future? No? Then shut up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't need a crystal ball to see how bad Argentina are.
Don't need a crystal ball to see how bad Argentina are.

They made it this far so... :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Ronaldo is one of the best players of all time. He has won the world cup and is the all time top scorer in the world cup history. He was great at Inter Milan. Man, what a player. He had it all - pace, dribbling ability, shooting, heading. He was the complete striker. Brazil just aren't the same without Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldho, Roberto Carlos, etc.
Original post by Stinkum
Ronaldo is one of the best players of all time. He has won the world cup and is the all time top scorer in the world cup history. He was great at Inter Milan. Man, what a player. He had it all - pace, dribbling ability, shooting, heading. He was the complete striker. Brazil just aren't the same without Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldho, Roberto Carlos, etc.

I think they were talking about CR7 :confused::confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
I think they were talking about CR7 :confused::confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ronaldo = brazilian Ronaldo, all time legend.
Cristiano Ronaldo = portuguese player, completely sucks at shooting, average player who is extremely overrated and will never be considered an all time legend, nowhere near close. I really hate how the name Ronaldo is now associated with this overrated player who can't even shoot properly. Back in the good old days, when you said Ronalod, everyone knew who you were talking about - an all time great, one of the best strikers football has ever seen, a truly talented player, a complete player.

Messi and Ronaldo are both overrated. They've never won a world cup, they'll never be considered all time legends. The only reason people consider them good is because the current standard in football has dropped so low. Football really sucks now. Rubbish players everywhere, rubbish teams everywhere.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Stinkum
Ronaldo = brazilian Ronaldo, all time legend.
Cristiano Ronaldo = portuguese player, completely sucks at shooting, average player who is extremely overrated and will never be considered an all time legend, nowhere near close. I really hate how the name Ronaldo is now associated with this overrated player who can't even shoot properly. Back in the good old days, when you said Ronalod, everyone knew who you were talking about - an all time great, one of the best strikers football has ever seen, a truly talented player, a complete player.

Messi and Ronaldo are both overrated. They've never won a world cup, they'll never be considered all time legends. The only reason people consider them good is because the current standard in football has dropped so low. Football really sucks now. Rubbish players everywhere, rubbish teams everywhere.

:rolleyes:
Yeah, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Don't you if yoy realised but Messi alone is carrying Argentina.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And according to the OP, he has to win the World Cup for that to mean anything, it's irrelevant right now. You missed my point; you should tell the OP that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by xDave-
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Brazil aren't very good either and have been fluking their games, just like I said Argentina would have to do. I don't think either of them are good enough to win without a lot of luck.

Germany are just Bayern without pace. Playing stupid line ups that clearly haven't worked in the previous match means it isn't surprising that they're struggling. Their class has showed in the end in each game though, they haven't had to be lucky. I didn't see the Ghana - Germany match so I can't talk about that one.

Mexico almost beat Holland, Chile beat Spain, they're not easy games. It's between Brazil and France personally for the title. Germany look really poor personally.

This is what I've been saying about Germany. Vs Ghana Germany were not the better team. Ghana made very good breaks but their final ball was shocking, had they improved that, Ghana would have probably come out of the group.
Anybody else just want a Brazil x Argentina final?
What about this mathematical argument;

2013-14;

Lionel Messi;

Apps - 46
Goals - 41 (0.891 goals per game)
Assists - 14 (0.304 assists per game)

Cristiano Ronaldo;

Apps - 47
Goals - 51 (1.085 goals per game)
Assists - 15 (0.319 assists per game)

Based purely on those statistics I've presented you, Ronaldo is mathematically better (at assisting and scoring in the 2013-14 season). You could argue that Messi was better at passing and was therefore the better player in 2013-14. However, I could argue Ronaldo performed better on the biggest stage; Champions League. We could also debate the impact of injuries. They play in different positions, how much importance do we place on the fact that Ronaldo is a winger and Messi is a striker? They play in different teams, how much importance should we place on the difference in abilities of the players in their respective teams?

The Ballon d'Or is based on the majority of opinions;

Perhaps a journalist thinks Ronaldo is more arrogant and places a lot of importance on perceived personalities and therefore this influences him to vote for Messi. Perhaps another journalist considers legal issues to be of great importance and this influences him to vote for Ronaldo because Messi wasn't transparent with his tax payments.

It all boils down to how the individual (that is judging) distributes the importance of the different qualitative and quantitative arguments. Therefore, this becomes an opinion and not a strict mathematical argument.

If you think Messi is better, that's your opinion. If I think Ronaldo is better, that's my opinion.

Oh so you're basing everything on last season? Probably messi's worst ever season (not helped with the injury) and ronaldo could still barely beat him?

If you compare them from 2010 messi beats him on pretty much every single level.. From goals to shot accuracy to passing to successful dribbles.

You say messi is a striker but then again ronaldo is also a forward... Do the roles really matter when ronaldo still has more shots at goal than messi? And if you're using that defence then surely ronaldo should have more assists than messi...

The teams in my opinion are on a fairly similar level. Di maria was the best midfielder last season, they were very close in the league and have been
Neck and neck in el classicos.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lionel-messi-is-impossible/

Here you go. A metric style analysis

Quick Reply

Latest