1. Real Madrid
      2. Bayern Munich
      3. Barcelona
      4. Chelsea
      5. Manchester City
      6. Juventus
      7. PSG
      8. Atletico Madrid

The reason Atletico Madrid are so low is because they've lost a couple of their top players and I believe their run was just a one-off, similar to Dortmund. Manchester City hasn't done well in Europe, but they've been quite unlucky with the draws they've been getting. I believe many of the Bayern Munich players haven't performed as well as in previous years. I also think Real Madrid are still way too strong with Ronaldo and Bale, which puts them at the top.

Barcelona might be trying to sign Suarez to go with Neymar and Messi, but the defense is terrible and Iniesta is starting to decline. They're overloaded with strikers.

ReputationRep:
      1. Bayern
      2. Real Madrid
      3. Man City
      4. Barcelona
      5. PSG
      6. Chelsea
      7. Benfica
      8. Liverpool

This doesn't mean I think Man City are a better team than Barca, but I do think they have a stronger squad. I do not understand why Juventus feature in so many lists.

ReputationRep:
      Real Madrid
      Bayern Munich
      Barcelona
      Man City
      PSG
      Liverpool
      Chelsea
      Dortmund

Maybe this list is not that accurate .
      Maybe because I don't watch La liga and stuff and I mainly watch BPL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by pane123)
      1. Bayern
      2. Real Madrid
      3. Man City
      4. Barcelona
      5. PSG
      6. Chelsea
      7. Benfica
      8. Liverpool

This doesn't mean I think Man City are a better team than Barca, but I do think they have a stronger squad. I do not understand why Juventus feature in so many lists.
      Because Juventus got 102 points last season while balancing a europa league run. They have depth in defence, in attack they have Tevez, Llorente and as backup Vucinic and Giovinco, possibly Osvaldo too. Only place they're lacking in depth would be central midfield, I think they need an extra CM as they have 4 top quality ones for 3 spots.

Liverpool and Benfica do not have stronger squads than Juventus either. Or are you going to put Sevilla in the top 8 too :rolleyes:

Also Chelsea have a stronger squad than PSG. Better defence, Midfield on par atm but PSG have the better strike force.
      (Original post by Rakes)
      Real Madrid
      Bayern Munich
      Barcelona
      Man City
      PSG
      Liverpool
      Chelsea
      Dortmund

Maybe this list is not that accurate .
      Maybe because I don't watch La liga and stuff and I mainly watch BPL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Liverpool do not have a stronger squad or first team than Chelsea. Same goes for PSG although not too unreasonable to say that they do.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jam278)
      Because Juventus got 102 points last season while balancing a europa league run. They have depth in defence, in attack they have Tevez, Llorente and as backup Vucinic and Giovinco, possibly Osvaldo too. Only place they're lacking in depth would be central midfield, I think they need an extra CM as they have 4 top quality ones for 3 spots.

Liverpool and Benfica do not have stronger squads than Juventus either. Or are you going to put Sevilla in the top 8 too :rolleyes:

Also Chelsea have a stronger squad than PSG. Better defence, Midfield on par atm but PSG have the better strike force.
      If you look at my list you will see that I did not put Sevilla in my top 8, so that's an odd question.

And yes, Benfica and Liverpool do have stronger squads than Juventus. The 102 points they achieved makes Juventus seem much, much stronger than they are.

ReputationRep:
      If you look at my list you will see that I did not put Sevilla in my top 8, so that's an odd question.

And yes, Benfica and Liverpool do have stronger squads than Juventus. The 102 points they achieved makes Juventus seem much, much stronger than they are.
      Compare defences, Juve have the better defence, compare the midfield, Juve's have the better midfield, compare the strikeforce, Juve have the better strikeforce.

It's not a contest and just because Benfica get to the europa league final.

Also why are Liverpool in this conversation about squad depth. They are nowhere near they play 42 or so games last season while the likes of Chelsea, Barca, Madrid and Bayern play around 60. Why aren't Atlético on the list while we're at it?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jam278)
      Compare defences, Juve have the better defence, compare the midfield, Juve's have the better midfield, compare the strikeforce, Juve have the better strikeforce.

It's not a contest and just because Benfica get to the europa league final.

Also why are Liverpool in this conversation about squad depth. They are nowhere near they play 42 or so games last season while the likes of Chelsea, Barca, Madrid and Bayern play around 60. Why aren't Atlético on the list while we're at it?
      Because Atletico achieved what they did because they were tactically astute, not because of the quality of their squad. They had a freak season and I do not think that squad would have the quality to do it again. I would maybe put them in place of Liverpool, though.

How often do you watch Benfica and Juventus, out of interest? What did you see from Llorente, Giovinco, Vucinic and Osvaldo that I didn't?

ReputationRep:
      Because Atletico achieved what they did because they were tactically astute, not because of the quality of their squad. I would maybe put them in place of Liverpool, though.

How often do you watch Benfica and Juventus, out of interest? What did you see from Llorente, Giovinco, Vucinic and Osvaldo that I didn't?
      I watch about 10-15 games a season from Juve. Mainly their CL/EL games and important games such as Juve vs Roma/Milan/Inter/Napoli etc.

Llorente to me had a solid first season imo. Giovinco was a good player at Parma, but I don't think playing him up front is a good move and it's possibly affecting him, he's better in the hole or on the left wing like he was for Parma. Vucinic is a weird player, not terrible but he works hard and has good link up play but is trash in front of goal. They didn't get too many games though as the preferred pairing was Tevez and Llorente so it's unfair to judge.

Benfica admittedly I haven't watched much this season gone by, I watched about 10 games the previous season, mainly the europa/CL games and the title decider vs Porto because I was interested in Nemanja Matic(who I wanted my team to buy). I watched the Juve games, obviously the likes of Markovic are good players. Although they just lost Garay to Zenit and Silqhuera went to Atlético which weakens their team.

Atlético have a good team trust me and they play good football, the title decider e.g. they were matching Barcelona in their play. The likes of Gabi, Filipe, Juanfran, Godin, Miranda, Garcia can start for top 8 teams.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Genocidal)

Barcelona might be trying to sign Suarez to go with Neymar and Messi, but the defense is terrible and Iniesta is starting to decline.
      Is it though? They conceded less goals that Real Madrid last season... And iniesta is still one of the best players in the world.

(Original post by Jordooooom)
        Is it though? They conceded less goals that Real Madrid last season... And iniesta is still one of the best players in the world.
        Real Madrid's is just as bad. Having the best of a bad bunch doesn't make it good.

He is, but he's also getting older. Even at the World Cup it was obvious his influence is lessening.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Genocidal)
        Real Madrid's is just as bad. Having the best of a bad bunch doesn't make it good.

He is, but he's also getting older. Even at the World Cup it was obvious his influence is lessening.
        You're judging Iniesta off 3 games in a Spain side that truly couldn't be bothered?

Also, actual lol at some people putting United in their lists. Their squad is awful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Jordooooom)
        Barca defend with possession, the second their defence is put under pressure they crumble. Real Madrid's defence is pretty terrible too but then they don't pass it around the back/midfield all game and their idea of protection of the defence is Xabi Alonso, Modric and Angel Di Maria.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by CB91)
        You're judging Iniesta off 3 games in a Spain side that truly couldn't be bothered?

Also, actual lol at some people putting United in their lists. Their squad is awful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
        He can only be judging on 2 games, as Iniesta was superb against Australia.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Wilfred Little)
        Jam leaving out Arsenal :laugh:

Not that I disagree, but it's obvious what you're doing :cool:
        I actually am not trolling here. I thought it was a good idea to use the top 8 squads in europe. Top 3 would just involve Barca/Bayern/Madrid and maybe one or two darkhorses but 4-8 is more varied. From there it's pretty linear imo. I'd put Liverpool level with Manchester United squad wise and personally put Arsenal above both of them. Liverpool do have the best setup to win a league title however and United do not work overtime anymore so I expect those two and City to battle it out for the title, Liverpool especially.

(Original post by AnharM)
        Manchester Utd haven't even bought the ''top players'' their fans think they'll buy, and their fans are going off on one already :rolleyes:

Assuming Utd play in a 4-3-3 system (Van Gaal's default formation):

-----------Rooney-----RvP-------Valenica/Januzaj
        --------------Herrera--------Mata------------
        ------------------CDM/Carrick-------------------
        -------Shaw----Evans----New CB/Jones/Smalling----Rafael
        -----------------------DDG-------------------

Along with the dead wood subs they have such as Cleverley, Fellaini, Nani, Carrick etc. this squad ain't up there at all. Man Utd need a top winger still, and they need to find a better position for Rooney, because he can't play as an inside forward/winger, or an AM with Mata. If it was a 4-4-2 diamond, with RvP and Rooney up top, then it would work.

Arsenal > Manchester Utd's squad clearly.

Liverpool are Liverpool due to their really strong strike force. They need to sort out their defence and their CM...it's surely time for Gerrard to call it a day?
        Yeah this essentially.

Gerrard imo is scapegoated, he did well for Liverpool when he played as the DLP in a 3 man midfield. For England he plays in a 2 man double pivot meaning he has to do more defensive work as well as playmaking. He still has 2/3 years left in him in that half back role.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by tanju123)
        Cheltenham Town is the greatest football team on the planet.
        Then Real Madrid.
        Then everyone else.
        Which planet are you on?
        • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
        Bayern Munich
        Real Madrid
        Barcelona
        Manchester City
        Chelsea
        PSG
        Juventus
        Borussia Dortmund

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Smash50)
        Which planet are you on?
        Earth.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by manchesterunited15)
        Kagawa > Ox
        Not sure how you can believe that

ReputationRep:
        Dont think Arsenal are top 8 as it stands either, but the delusion from Utd fans on here is actually probably forgiveable given the trauma and coping systems they've most likely had to adopt... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Zürich)
        Not sure how you can believe that
        One of the best players in a team that won the Bundesliga twice in a row. Ox doesn't compare to that.

Yes he's been used badly but that doesn't actually take away from his ability.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
      Updated: December 19, 2014
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.