Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2015 Physics Applicants Watch

• View Poll Results: Which Physics course(s) are you going to apply for?
    Physics BSc
    26.85%
    Physics MSci
    49.54%
    Theoretical Physics/ Phys & Maths BSc
    7.41%
    Theoretical Physics/ Phys & Maths MSci
    15.74%
    Physics with Astrophysics BSc
    7.87%
    Physics with Astrophysics MSci
    12.50%
    Physics and Philosophy BSc
    1.39%
    Physics and Philosophy MSci
    4.17%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanRigg96#)
    People who haven't answered this question already
    What's everyone done to prepare for application e.g. reading/work experience/summer school ?
    I did this astrophysics taster day / work experience day at Queen Mary Uni (London). I've done some extra reading but I'm doing my extended project on the search for dark matter so it's mostly for that. Also I have volunteered at the Science Museum close to where I live. I'm trying to build up my personal statement in case my grades aren't what I expected!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've heard quite a few times now that Physics personal statements aren't very important so might not matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At most of the unis I've visited they said not to worry too much about your ps because the main thing is the grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've heard quite a few times now that Physics personal statements aren't very important so might not matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just thought I'd say that they are incredibly important! I'm getting in with lower grades because of my personal statement and all the work experience I did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbseh)
    I just thought I'd say that they are incredibly important! I'm getting in with lower grades because of my personal statement and all the work experience I did
    That's interesting!
    Must differ from uni to uni
    I'll spend more time on my PS then haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting!
    Must differ from uni to uni
    I'll spend more time on my PS then haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Definitely do There should be no weak link in any application- everything from exams to a person statement should have equal effort out into it! A cracking PS can really get you into a uni's good books which in turn may save anyone if their grades slip. In my eyes it's most definitely worth it 100%

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think they'll be pretty important if anyone's after an extra competitive place like oxbridge, ucl, durham and stuff otherwise the stats seem to show most people get offers; like someone said "grades" are enough at most places.

(Original post by Andromeda2.5)
    I did this astrophysics taster day / work experience day at Queen Mary Uni (London). I've done some extra reading but I'm doing my extended project on the search for dark matter so it's mostly for that. Also I have volunteered at the Science Museum close to where I live. I'm trying to build up my personal statement in case my grades aren't what I expected!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did that qmul taster too; btw just noticed your choices - is that subject to change or are you trying to avoid home as much as possible? (none near the south)

ReputationRep:
    Can any of you say why/how you decided for physics upon maths/engineering? I am awaiting AS results in Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and cannot seem to decide between those three. Any personal opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Can any of you say why/how you decided for physics upon maths/engineering? I am awaiting AS results in Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and cannot seem to decide between those three. Any personal opinions?
    I'm completely and utterly fascinated by Physics, the way the world is and works, the full stop at the end of a sentence contains 100 billion carbon atoms! Like whaaa... Blows my mind
    I think you need that kind of attitude to study Physics, to have some kind of wonder or awe of the physical world

ReputationRep:
    I did that qmul taster too; btw just noticed your choices - is that subject to change or are you trying to avoid home as much as possible? (none near the south) [/QUOTE]

Well I dot want to go to Southampton because that's too close but it's mostly because there isn't any close by. London unis are probably the closest good ones and I'm not sure whether I want to go to uni in London

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So what did everyone get then?

I got:
    AS Maths A
    AS Physics B
    AS History C (was always gonna happen)
    A2 Maths A

Just going to resit my Physics controlled assessment because I got a C and it dragged my grade down to 4 UMS below A
    So all in all happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    AS maths A
    AS physics A
    AS environmental science A
    AS geography B

Very happy and shocked! Can't believe I got an A in physics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    AS maths A
    AS physics A
    AS environmental science A
    AS geography B

Very happy and shocked! Can't believe I got an A in physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Woo! Congrats 😁

ReputationRep:
    Woo! Congrats 😁
    Thanks, you too! So many people are disappointed today

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Screwed up :/

Maths C
    Phys D
    Business D

Anyone here known much about foundation degrees? Can't really imagine my predicated grades will be near AAB which is basically the minimum for myphys so I'm screwed. Well done you guys who've got decent grades

Thanks, you too! So many people are disappointed today

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Like me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ki Yung Na)
    Screwed up :/

Maths C
    Phys D
    Business D

Anyone here known much about foundation degrees? Can't really imagine my predicated grades will be near AAB which is basically the minimum for myphys so I'm screwed. Well done you guys who've got decent grades

Like me.
    Out of the unis you were interested in here's the foundation courses

Nottingham Foundation course:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/...-students.aspx

Liverpool Foundation course:

http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergrad...lege/overview/

ReputationRep:
    Out of the unis you were interested in here's the foundation courses

Nottingham Foundation course:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/...-students.aspx

Liverpool Foundation course:

http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergrad...lege/overview/

Thanks man; I hope my predicted grades aren't too bad - if only the teachers replied.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks man; I hope my predicted grades aren't too bad - if only the teachers replied.
    When you choose your 5 choices you might want to consider this course as well as Foundation courses:

http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergradua...ts=is-expanded

it's a good course and uni for Physics for BBB! any other unis at those grades probably aren't worth it, might as well get a Foundation course

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When you choose your 5 choices you might want to consider this course as well as Foundation courses:

http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergradua...ts=is-expanded

it's a good course and uni for Physics for BBB! any other unis at those grades probably aren't worth it, might as well get a Foundation course

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks man, you're a total stranger yet you're helping me
    I've also heard good things about heriot watt so they'll be on my list too. I think i'll go for 3 foundations and then two normal. The foundation seems more sensible atm as they're lower and there's a chance to try for an Msci/Mphys ... my prospects of working in ITER looks ever so dim and far right now lol.

ReputationRep:
    I've also heard good things about heriot watt so they'll be on my list too. I think i'll go for 3 foundations and then two normal. The foundation seems more sensible atm as they're lower and there's a chance to try for an Msci/Mphys ... my prospects of working in ITER looks ever so dim and far right now lol.
    Someone with a passion for Physics but low grades is going to be more successful than the other way round

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And no worries

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.