Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My uni experience... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em.d_4)
    That's not really how it works when you're applying to a course which is more competitive at every uni than basically any Oxbridge course! At 16 applicants per place and upward in many cases.
    Also all.medical schools have very very different selection criteria many even use different entrance exams. Therefore you have to apply to schools who's application system best favours your profile and this is somewhat luck of the draw.
    Course then becomes the next issue as they are taught in significantly different ways to one another so you must pick which you prefer.
    And once you've done all of that you're probably left with a hand full of suitable unis and therefore don't have masses of choice. You only get 4 choices on ucas afterall.
    If you want to be a doctor you suck eggs and take what you can get seeing as 65% of applicants won't get a single offer despite being predicted A*AA/AAA at the very least and almost all far higher.
    Many of the better medical schools arent attached to the most prestigious unis! Eg oxford, cambridge, st andrews have significantly fewer or on par applicants to Sheffield, Leeds and even keele is a top school. I would not say keele is otherwise especially prestigious. Infact it's traditionally a clearance uni I believe!
    The end goal is more important than the ride for most medics I've spoken to.
    All that said rhe OP comes across as a self important idiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I completely understand. I have a lot of friends who are applying for/have gotten into medicine and they constantly talk(ed) about this. And I'm helping my friend figure out which UKCAT unis which use PBL she should apply to based on her grades/ECs etc. I know that all medical schools are good and when applying, you just focus on your strengths/preferences. But seeing as being surrounded by inferior students is stressing OP out so much, he should have used his exceptional grades to go to medical school attached to a better uni. I'm sure there's at least one uni which is more prestigious that OP would have liked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Im not smarter than my peers, Im middle of the pact at my medical school. As I've said before, my decision was purely upon the course structure, location and facilities of the Uni.
    If the uni I went to made an ounce of difference in terms of my future in medicine then I wouldn't have gone there - but it doesn't.
    Just don't let all the stress you're under as a result of choosing a less prestigious uni affect your grades

(Original post by Mindless Behavior)
    I completely understand. I have a lot of friends who are applying for/have gotten into medicine and they constantly talk(ed) about this. And I'm helping my friend figure out which UKCAT unis which use PBL she should apply to based on her grades/ECs etc. I know that all medical schools are good and when applying, you just focus on your strengths/preferences. But seeing as being surrounded by inferior students is stressing OP out so much, he should have used his exceptional grades to go to medical school attached to a better uni. I'm sure there's at least one uni which is more prestigious that OP would have liked.
    Thanks for being more understanding.
    Honestly this isnt a huge issue since Im going to be moving out next year anyway most likely and I've done fine in my first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Im studying medicine at university and I got A*A*AA in my a levels like other medical students. The problem is that my university isn't the same as others. At my university medicine and dentistry are AAA and require very high academic grades and are both very difficult courses. The rest of the courses at my uni are not at the same level. At all. The average entry requirements at my uni are around BBB-BBC with many getting much lower and their degrees are not as difficult as mine at all(this wouldn't be the case at other unis)
    Now, unfortunately for me, my flat didn't have any medical or dental students so I cant really relate to people from the academic standpoint. E.G someone in my flat is studying maths with BBB and asks ME to help them with their work.
    In exam time I got in a big argument with a few of them about the amount of noise they were making and stress and anger got the best of me and said a few things I regret. I had a HUGE number of exams and they had like 2 exams and finished almost two weeks before me. Its been a problem throughout the year since my course is a lot more demanding than theirs by all accounts.
    Its not only me with this problem, almost every medical/dental student at my uni has the same problem and they also have no idea what to do about it.
    Any advice?
    No wonder you're having such A bad experience. You are very stuck up aren't you?. 'Huuuuuuhhh I got AAA or something and they got BBB'. Shame on you. People like you actually disgust me thinking you're better than everybody else because of your grades. Grow up.

I could never revise in my room. Too many distractions. If you find your uni Libary to be the same as a social hang out I suggest use the town libary..you won't find any one there..

As for other people in your halls. That's life. You have to learn to compromise and adjust. As for revision I suggest you come up With some sort of revision plan and just focus on getting by each day and forget everything else.

Oh okay so you've don't the exams I read you'd post on finding house Witt your fellow students. Okay then problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    Could you explain this?

If you get A* in A level maths and get through to the international maths olympiad, and somebody else gets a C in A level maths and no award in the senior maths challenge (first round of selection for IMO.
    Side tracking, but this may not necessarily be the case, could be quite the opposite, as they're two different styles in approaching their solutions.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.