I'm a muslim girl who's fasting. Ask me anything :) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why did you not use your main account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    Hey. I'm OP (this is my actual account)

Well, to answer your question, the whole point of fasting is

1. To prove our dedication to Allah and show we can do this for him.

2. To understand what it means to be poor

3. It also has many health benefits and teaches us to have more self control

During Ramadan we should also give more charity than usual
    Cool.Us christians fast to draw near to God and deny ourselves of the worldly stuff and food etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hijr)
    Why did you not use your main account?
    It was banned lol

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to whoever personal repped me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That_Hijabi)
    Because i believe it's the truth
    What makes you believe it's the truth?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why do you fast?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viniya)
    Why do you fast?
    Read above posts. Many others asked the same question and i don't want to keep repeating myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SerLorasTyrell)
    What makes you believe it's the truth?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Beacause there's so much evidence that islam is the truth and I know in my heart it is. If it wasn't, I would've left a long time ago

ReputationRep:
    If u could be a lemon with an emotion, what kind of emotional lemon would you be ? ;P

ReputationRep:
    How are you going to celebrate Eid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bphil)
    If u could be a lemon with an emotion, what kind of emotional lemon would you be ? ;P
    I'd be a happy lemon of course ;D

(Original post by dreadpiraterach)
    How are you going to celebrate Eid?
    Dunno. Probs with family as usual

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahaf)
    I am Muslim and I'm also bored so I may as well attempt to answer. The whole concept of fasting isn't to starve ourselves. Its a religious cleanse in which us Muslims believe it cleanses our souls and makes us realise how great-full we really are for even the most smallest of things e.g water. Allah (swt- God) isn't a slaving us, those who suffer medical related issues musnt fast. Those who feel negative towards the fast shouldn't fast. Theres so many! It's not like we're forced to fast or that defeats the entire objective of being grate-full! (I have no idea if I'v answered anything I've just rambled on haha sorry chum!)
    Well you did explain the whole choice thing which I didn't know existed in traditional fasting. (Like when it was first ever done)

ReputationRep:
    Why is every Muslim country in a bad condition?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why did you decide to become Muslim and not a Teletubby?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That_Hijabi)
    No

Yeah but not many. I only have about 4 non-muslim friend/ (3 hindus and one christian). I had an atheist friend in college but we drifted apart and no longer in contact

I think i'm treated as an individual but it may just be the area i'm from. It's very multi cultural so nearly everyone is open minded
    Why was it necessary for you to state their religions?

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I'm OP (this is my actual account)

Well, to answer your question, the whole point of fasting is

1. To prove our dedication to Allah and show we can do this for him.

2. To understand what it means to be poor

3. It also has many health benefits and teaches us to have more self control

During Ramadan we should also give more charity than usual
    1. Fair enough.

2. Why do so many Muslim binge at iftar time then, and end up eating much more than they would on a normal day.

3. Linked to the previous point. Binge eating fried food, which a lot of Muslims kind of negates the health benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    1. Fair enough.

2. Why do so many Muslim binge at iftar time then, and end up eating much more than they would on a normal day.

3. Linked to the previous point. Binge eating fried food, which a lot of Muslims kind of negates the health benefits.

2 and 3) well thats a very subjective question and a question you should ask individual muslims. In Islam, we're advised NOT to binge and there are many references where our prophet Muhammad (pbuh) used to break his fast with only milk and dates. Don't judge Islam by its followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaneda)
    Why is every Muslim country in a bad condition?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not necesserily every muslim country. How about the gulf countries and KSA (saudi arabia) who seem to be doing really well for themselves and their country

(Original post by A5ko)
    Why did you decide to become Muslim and not a Teletubby?
    I'm a Muslim teletubby

ReputationRep:
    do you feel bloated like me when you finally eat something? because that's how I feel

ReputationRep:
    2 and 3) well thats a very subjective question and a question you should ask individual muslims. In Islam, we're advised NOT to binge and there are many references where our prophet Muhammad (pbuh) used to break his fast with only milk and dates. Don't judge Islam by its followers
    And it's not a very subjective question, when so many do it, you can just look at the islam threads and ramadan threads on this forum and you will see many people parading about how much food they'll eat. In my experience literally every Muslim I've talked to have told me they binge eat, not directly but after description of their meal it's evident. I'm not asking about Islam I'm asking about Muslims. Why do they completely avoid the point of ramadan by doing this? What is the point of fasting if they're just going to have essentially the size of two meals in one at Iftar.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.