Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenkinsear)
    Anywhere that isn't Oxbridge. As much as people at other unis like to think they 'work hard', unless you've been there and got the t shirt you'll never really understand what that phrase means.
    My degree isnt done at oxbridge(dentistry) yet my academic record would make me a fair candidate for oxbridge degrees.
    Also, a degree in dentistry is arguably just as rigorous as oxbridge degrees.
    Bit of a generalistaion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    My degree isnt done at oxbridge(dentistry) yet my academic record would make me a fair candidate for oxbridge degrees.
    Also, a degree in dentistry is arguably just as rigorous as oxbridge degrees.
    Bit of a generalistaion
    Dentistry is mostly a 9-5 course (2 sibling dentists so I'm fairly well informed on that!) and whilst I 100% agree it is a very respectable and good course to do, it certainly doesn't require the same level of sustained work as most Oxbridge degrees would do. My siblings were always surprised how much work I had and they by no means slacked or went to crap dental schools.

ReputationRep:
    Dentistry is mostly a 9-5 course (2 sibling dentists so I'm fairly well informed on that!) and whilst I 100% agree it is a very respectable and good course to do, it certainly doesn't require the same level of sustained work as most Oxbridge degrees would do. My siblings were always surprised how much work I had and they by no means slacked or went to crap dental schools.
    Ill take your word for it then:P
    I've never heard of a crap dental school lol, its the same as medical schools

ReputationRep:
    All the ones that are local to me.

Idk why..

I just hate my area lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    I thought he said he didn't like Lincoln lol
    He basically said to Tara's sister he didn't like the idea of ending up going to Warwick

ReputationRep:
    Also, btw, How are your siblings finding being a dentist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisychain_)
    He basically said to Tara's sister he didn't like the idea of ending up going to Warwick
    Ah that episode haha, need to re-watch

ReputationRep:
    Ill take your word for it then:P
    I've never heard of a crap dental school lol, its the same as medical schools

Dentists tend to mock a few like Peninsula & Central Lancashire; whether that is justified I don't really know.

Best of luck with your course

ReputationRep:
    Kinda dumb to look down on any university really: it just makes you look like a knobhead and you're belittling someone's achievements at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    None!!! what kind of question is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    I dont look down on any of the universities that people have been to because i know that the importance of different peoples achievements are relative to their individual situations.

But when you say something as dumb as that....just lol
    You having a giggle m8
    I base the ranking on how many world class departments each uni has
    Go back to reading the guardian you child

ReputationRep:
    Lmfao.
    You do realise there are medicine/dentistry students at unis that are non russell group that could walk into a russell group uni with their **** out and get an offer?
    Not for a medical/dental degree however haha but i kmow what you mean

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hl7495)
    Not for a medical/dental degree however haha but i kmow what you mean

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They'd be just as good dental/medical students at the other unis - AAA minimum at every uni apart from like 4 schools where its A*AA.
    Just annoys me when you have people doing a geography degree at say UCL thinking they're 'better' than people at 'lower' unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misovlogos)
    Absent the brute snobbery, this is doubly pathetic by virtue of appearing egotistically compelled to cite Cambridge entry. There is individual and social value in tertiary education for many students achieving below ABB; what exactly is there to look down upon?
    Well a course in a uni that accepts people with lower than grade ABB can't be all that and a course that is at the same time not hard to get onto cant possibly be that valuable of degree to possess if they'll let basically anyone on it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't look down at others, but I do respect the intellectual capacity of students/teachers from Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Edinbugh, Durham, St. Andrews and Warwick. The rest is just ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groundearth)
    Nottingham Trent

Oi, I went Nottingham Trent and I'll have you know I had a very pleasant time there, so **** off you uni of ****er.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichelBraga)
    I don't look down at others, but I do respect the intellectual capacity of students/teachers from Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Edinbugh, Durham, St. Andrews and Warwick. The rest is just ok.
    Complete generalisation,
    Would you think a bio medical student at UCL has more intellectual capacity than a dental/medical student at a lower uni?
    Or a physics student at manchester? (A*A*A FYI)

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand snobbery around subjects. Fair enough, some subjects generally have better employment rates than others and for some subjects it's unlikely that you'll get to work in a relevant field afterwards. But there is no point spending 3+ years doing a course you don't enjoy. Don't tell someone not to pick a "useless" subject, because there is nothing useless about doing something you're passionate about. Trying to make someone feel bad for choosing their subject is just completely unnecessary. You don't need to like other peoples' choices, you just need to like your own.

ReputationRep:
    Complete generalisation,
    Would you think a bio medical student at UCL has more intellectual capacity than a dental/medical student at a lower uni?
    Or a physics student at manchester? (A*A*A FYI)
    I'm an arts and humanities person, so I can't really speak for other subjects like those you mentioned. Still, my opinion is simply based on the fact that these unis manage to gather the very best experts in the field, offering an overall better education.

Although I have never met or have been to Manchester Uni, I'm sure that it is a fine institution, but in my area, it is just average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    I'm surprised no one has said The Open Uni yet. I don't look down on it but its usually a uni you hear a lot of people mock or here they regard it as an uni for 'thick' people or that its just not a uni at all :/

I don't look down on any uni. Yes, some are better than others but its not a competition. To me, as long as people are learning and will get something out of their course is all that matters rather than how prestigious a uni is.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    funny story (not really funny but yeah), last year I went to a Higher Education fair and saw Open University and the first thing I asked them was "is open university a real university?" and the guy behind the desk flipped out. I wasn't being mean I just didn't know if it was real or not.

Anyway, I don't look down on universities, though some are considered more prestigious than others. I wouldn't want to go to a university that doesn't teach my course well, other than that, I don't mind where I go just as long as I get a degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.