Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    But is it not more important what there is evidence to support than what you believe to be true? There is far more to suggest children benefit from a stable home - which a same sex couple could provide - than from having parents of opposite genders.
    I agree partly but the ideal or me is a stable male/female parent home within a loving committed relationship.

This child..
    May never know its mother
    Its mother gave birth purely because of a business arrangement
    It most probably wont breast feed from its natural mother
    It may grow up with psychological and social issues

Now i agree that the same things might happen in a male/female relationship but they are far less likely. We really dont have a handle on long term outcomes of children born to homosexual fathers via surrogates.

I wonder how prevalent it is? Is it a new found aspiration borne out of similar births via celeb donors such as Elton John and others?

ReputationRep:
    But is it not more important what there is evidence to support than what you believe to be true? There is far more to suggest children benefit from a stable home - which a same sex couple could provide - than from having parents of opposite genders.
    Clearly and that is because it is much more prevalent and the norm. We have no idea yet what will happen as a result of children born due to homosexual sperm donation to a surrogate. It is likely becoming more prevalent thats for sure. Who will have custody of such a child if/when the relationship fails?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freudian Slip)
    Personally, I think that's a wonderful picture and, as the above poster said, your sexuality shouldn't restrict your right to parenthood.
    No one debated that, I also think that 2 men would make good parents.

It's just that a man giving birth defies all laws of nature. Males simply aren't designed to give birth, so I can just sit back and appreciate how far science has come. I personally believe that men should not be able to give birth, but I have nothing against 2 men raising a child.

ReputationRep:
    Gay adoption is too new to actually see what it does to the child in the long term. Let's see.

(Original post by there's too much love)

A) Being abnormal isn't inherently wrong.
    B) Being unnatural isn't inherently wrong.

Nature and being normal are in no way inherently moral issues.
    Just because there's nothing wrong about something, doesn't necessarily make it right.

This is my opinion, so I don't need replies to my post. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)

It's just that a man giving birth defies all laws of nature. Males simply aren't designed to give birth, so I can just sit back and appreciate how far science has come. I personally believe that men should not be able to give birth, but I have nothing against 2 men raising a child.
    Are you taking the piss or are you being super serial I hope for the sake of humanity it's the former.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)

Since when did 'giving birth' equate to 'parenthood' or vice versa?

ReputationRep:
    I'm bi so I have nothing against gay people but I think it's very weird.........................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nissie1)
    I'm bi so I have nothing against gay people but I think it's very weird.........................
    Because...?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limpopo)
    I agree partly but the ideal or me is a stable male/female parent home within a loving committed relationship.

This child..
    May never know its mother
    Its mother gave birth purely because of a business arrangement
    It most probably wont breast feed from its natural mother
    It may grow up with psychological and social issues

Now i agree that the same things might happen in a male/female relationship but they are far less likely. We really dont have a handle on long term outcomes of children born to homosexual fathers via surrogates.

I wonder how prevalent it is? Is it a new found aspiration borne out of similar births via celeb donors such as Elton John and others?
    Again, I understand that's your ideal, but why should that make a difference to the situation, unless male/female parenting is actually shown to be optimum?

What's your basic for the psychological/social issues comment?

I don't think wanting children is a particularly new found aspiration.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabalala)
    Are you taking the piss or are you being super serial I hope for the sake of humanity it's the former.
    Enlighten us with your views, if you please.

ReputationRep:
    most disturbing thing is the baby, it is so slimy...

ReputationRep:
    I see nothing wrong with it.

Some of these comments are so ignorant
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limpopo)
    Clearly and that is because it is much more prevalent and the norm. We have no idea yet what will happen as a result of children born due to homosexual sperm donation to a surrogate. It is likely becoming more prevalent thats for sure. Who will have custody of such a child if/when the relationship fails?
    This is hardly the first case of a child being raised on this way - there have been various studies into the effects same-sex parenting has on children etc. I'm not sure why the custody comment is relevant - That would be case by case, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)
    most disturbing thing is the baby, it is so slimy...
    That's what they look like when they emerge. He probably hasn't been cleaned as midwives usually don't wipe them down until after skin to skin to help establish the bond.

ReputationRep:
    Because...?
    It just looks wrong. I mean the woman is there in the background looking tired after giving birth and there are two naked men holding a new born baby. It's far from cute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl63)
    Gay adoption is too new to actually see what it does to the child in the long term. Let's see.
    Plenty of studies have looked at the effects of gay parenting where the gay people have had their own natural children through surrogates or artificial insemination or just having sex with someone of the opposite sex purely for the purpose of having a child. This has been going on for years.

Just because there's nothing wrong about something, doesn't necessarily make it right.
    No, but if you want to argue that it's wrong, you need a reason.

This is my opinion, so I don't need replies to my post. Thanks.
    The fact that it's your opinion doesn't mean you don't need replies. Your opinion is now open to criticism, as you decided to share it in a debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nissie1)
    It just looks wrong. I mean the woman is there in the background looking tired after giving birth and there are two naked men holding a new born baby. It's far from cute.
    Only, neither of them are naked, they're shirtless and my understanding is this is what usually happens in surrogate births - though, please do correct me if I'm wrong. The fathers have attended so that they are the first to hold the newborn.

ReputationRep:
    I think these photos would look weird regardless of the gender of the parents. In a regular situation it wouldn't look anywhere near as odd. For instance, when I see Neil Patrick Harris & his partner with their children I don't think anything of it because they aren't topless & crying.

ReputationRep:
    Only, neither of them are naked, they're shirtless and my understanding is this is what usually happens in surrogate births - though, please do correct me if I'm wrong. The fathers have attended so that they are the first to hold the newborn.
    So it looks completely normal to you?

ReputationRep:
    Again, I understand that's your ideal, but why should that make a difference to the situation, unless male/female parenting is actually shown to be optimum?

What's your basic for the psychological/social issues comment?

I don't think wanting children is a particularly new found aspiration.
    Well i do agree that we are in uncharted waters and so we dont really know but we do have the knowledge of past human existence which may lend support to a male/female committed relationship being optimal.

Who knows, in a hundred year that may seem so yesterday . We may live in more enlightened times whereby for example, single males with a desire to have a child will simply squirt into a test tube, send it off and pick their selected breeding female from a website,having the baby delivered by UPS in 9 months time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.