Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How many of you guys are in the position where you'd have to miss the entire last week of term for one of these schemes, e.g. Jones Day starting on the 8th Dec? Considering it's final year, with all the inevitable deadlines coming in final week, I'm having a few misgivings about this. One or two are starting a week earlier even, which seems mad to me, whereas a couple start later luckily... Your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coke_addict2010)
    Hey, thanks for the reply! I think you've settled my doubts about my GCSE results but I still feel a little anxious about my degree results as I didn't get consistent 2:1s throughout my course. Also, I agree with your personal tutor: you are negative about your academic performance because some of those results are amazing. Well done. Do you know (or anyone who's reading this post) if firms like Herbert Smith Freehills or other Silver Circle firms emphasize the importance of getting consistent 2:1s throughout your degree?

Thank you for insight and advice!
    Hey, I scraped a 2:1 overall in first year and did a lot better in second year and I still got offers for two vac schemes. I was asked about that in a couple of interviews but I just said I learnt from my mistakes and improved from there. From my personal experience, I think they care more about your answers and work exp than your results, a 2:1 is just a basic filtering requirement. However, there are some firms (Baker & McKenzie I know are one of them) do look for consistent 2:1s. Probably just best to e-mail and ask before starting an application. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pp93)
    Hey, I scraped a 2:1 overall in first year and did a lot better in second year and I still got offers for two vac schemes. I was asked about that in a couple of interviews but I just said I learnt from my mistakes and improved from there. From my personal experience, I think they care more about your answers and work exp than your results, a 2:1 is just a basic filtering requirement. However, there are some firms (Baker & McKenzie I know are one of them) do look for consistent 2:1s. Probably just best to e-mail and ask before starting an application. Hope that helps
    Thanks for your reply and your advice! I was wondering, though, how do you know that Baker & McKenzie look for consistent 2:1s?

Also, I also wanted to know if anyone had any experience or insight into Herbert Smith Freehills? I know that they're a SC firm and, in some regards, even rival the MC ones, but I was wondering what they're application process was like and were they just as likely to scrutinise your grades like a firm like Slaughter and May would?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coke_addict2010)
    Thanks for your reply and your advice! I was wondering, though, how do you know that Baker & McKenzie look for consistent 2:1s?

Also, I also wanted to know if anyone had any experience or insight into Herbert Smith Freehills? I know that they're a SC firm and, in some regards, even rival the MC ones, but I was wondering what they're application process was like and were they just as likely to scrutinise your grades like a firm like Slaughter and May would?
    Last year I was rejected by them at the application form stage and e-mailed asking what their criteria were. They replied saying that they looked for a consistent 2:1 even in first year amongst other things.

I'm also intrigued about HSF so I had a quick google and came across this http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/Law/WebExtras/189 - so I don't think you should be discouraged! They'd be stupid to write off an otherwise good applicant just because of a handful of 2:2s in the early years of their degree. However, it's worth e-mailing to get a proper answer

ReputationRep:
    I'm so paranoid about not getting onto any VSs :afraid: - especially because of my lack of work experience with solicitors

ReputationRep:
    Heya, does anyone have a list of vacation schemes available to second year non-law students? I'd be incredibly grateful if anyone can help with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyWoccy)
    I'm so paranoid about not getting onto any VSs :afraid: - especially because of my lack of work experience with solicitors
    I understand where you're coming from I was in this position. I found the main problem was attending a vacation scheme allows you to express to a far greater degree your motivations for law and the actual environment in which you'll work. Don't let it put you off. Go to law fairs if you're at university and try to impress the recruitment there who may take note of your name and build your cv in other ways, you will want something law/business related though if that's the avenue of law you're considering otherwise you're giving them firm nothing to work with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    I understand where you're coming from I was in this position. I found the main problem was attending a vacation scheme allows you to express to a far greater degree your motivations for law and the actual environment in which you'll work. Don't let it put you off. Go to law fairs if you're at university and try to impress the recruitment there who may take note of your name and build your cv in other ways, you will want something law/business related though if that's the avenue of law you're considering otherwise you're giving them firm nothing to work with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, but applications are already opening so I won't have much time to do that. I do have work experience, volunteering etc in other areas

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone had heard anything back from Jones Day yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KFiler1)
    I was wondering if anyone had heard anything back from Jones Day yet?
    I wouldn't have thought they'd get back to anyone so early! Have you heard anything?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I'm looking at applying to the Simmons & Simmons graduate vac scheme. I am starting my LPC with the University of Law this week.
    However on their website they state that they require their trainees to complete their LPC with BPP if they pay for it.

Is it still worth me applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horse273)
    I'd like to find a proper list for this as well. The only one I know that does this is Herbert Smith but I'm sure there are loads more.
    I attended an assessment centre for a vacation scheme at CMS this year and was told I could not apply again for a training contract within that intake, and had to wait until the next intake to apply for the straight training contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidLocked)
    Heya, does anyone have a list of vacation schemes available to second year non-law students? I'd be incredibly grateful if anyone can help with this.
    I'm a second year non-law student in the same boat! the only ones I've seen we have to be final year for which is annoying
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A fair number of the city law firms take penultimate non-lawyers on their Easter/summer vac schemes. Majority (if not all) of the MC do, and a fair number of the SC also.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied to Jones Day or PwC Legal yet? Also, have any more vacation scheme applications opened at any other firms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgief94)
    I'm a second year non-law student in the same boat! the only ones I've seen we have to be final year for which is annoying
    Have you decided which firms you're applying to yet? I think I'll just apply for all the MC ones.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard back from Jones Day? Or did any one even apply?

October is coming soon! Freaking out!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone applying for winter vac schemes for 2014?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I applied for Linklaters Indian Internship 2015(which is the summer vacation scheme). Got an invitation to take the Watson Glaser Test on 12th Sept, took it on 14th, but haven't heard back from them yet. Was just worried that is this a rejection? Normally how much time do they take to reply back?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heisenberg007)
    Hi, I applied for Linklaters Indian Internship 2015(which is the summer vacation scheme). Got an invitation to take the Watson Glaser Test on 12th Sept, took it on 14th, but haven't heard back from them yet. Was just worried that is this a rejection? Normally how much time do they take to reply back?
    It's quite a busy time for them, so I wouldn't worry that you have not heard back this working week. You will probably hear back in the next week or so as they usually do their interviews in India in early November.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.