Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marinanutshell)
    It sounds like that to me too, I don't know... have you tried contacting the admissions office or the physics department?
    I'm worried because I'm an EU student doing the IB but my qualifications aren't what you'd call... straightforward. I can't meet the precise requirements they're asking for because my school doesn't offer these specific courses so I'm doing everything I can to try to make up for it (including taking the SAT I and II) but I don't know if all that would be enough for them to consider me...
    I was told my some second/third year people to wait and ask when I got there.

I've never looked at the IB, but admissions staff will know about it as it's a recognised qualification. Email [email protected] and ask them about your qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marinanutshell)
    It sounds like that to me too, I don't know... have you tried contacting the admissions office or the physics department?
    I'm worried because I'm an EU student doing the IB but my qualifications aren't what you'd call... straightforward. I can't meet the precise requirements they're asking for because my school doesn't offer these specific courses so I'm doing everything I can to try to make up for it (including taking the SAT I and II) but I don't know if all that would be enough for them to consider me...
    Hey, fellow IB student! What is it about applying with the IB that you're worried about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __Adam__)
    I was told my some second/third year people to wait and ask when I got there.

I've never looked at the IB, but admissions staff will know about it as it's a recognised qualification. Email [email protected] and ask them about your qualifications.
    Thanks again _Adam_!! Hope it all goes well!!

(Original post by mnina19)
    Hey, fellow IB student! What is it about applying with the IB that you're worried about?
    Hi there!! :ciao:
    Well, for the Physics degree all the universities require Physics and Maths at HL and the problem is my school doesn't offer Maths at HL (only SL) and it doesn't even offer Physics at SL (officially, I'm taking physics classes unofficially anyway)! So to make up for all this mess I'll be taking the national qualification exams for this 2 subjects plus the SAT Subject Tests but will that make up for it? Will they still consider my application? If they have hundreds of students with the required grades.... :no:

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody going to the open day tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunandstars)
    Is anybody going to the open day tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No but I went on Saturday. It was great and a very big uni which has used its space extremely well. The staff and students were nice and the day was well organised.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for 2015! I'm applying for history. I haven't been to an open day but one of my best friends is in her second year there now and she's offered to show me around should I go at any point.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    what grades did you get in AS

ReputationRep:
    hello, im planning on applying for university of york this year. My AS grades are BBB, for sociology, politics and law. im planning on doing politics and international relations. I got a good personal statement and good references. Do you think i have a good chance of getting an offer ?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm Beth and I'm applying for Biochemistry at York. The other universities I am applying for are Oxford, Imperial College London, Sheffield and maybe Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    Sociology and Criminology 2015 :cool::cool:
    Cant wait!
    Any current students fancy telling me what the nightlife is like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgiagreen)
    Sociology and Criminology 2015 :cool::cool:
    Cant wait!
    Any current students fancy telling me what the nightlife is like?
    Heading there on Sunday. Leeds is a 20 minute train journey so don't worry about the night life situation. York has a fair few clubs but nothing incredible like you'd expect in a city!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm applying for Linguistics with Spanish (ab initio because my school didn't run the A Level when I started, so I'm only going to have an AS). Is anybody else applying for Linguistics or Spanish?

Applying with AAAB at AS and predicted A*AA in English Lit, Maths and Further Maths respectively

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethFirmin)
    Hello, I'm Beth and I'm applying for Biochemistry at York. The other universities I am applying for are Oxford, Imperial College London, Sheffield and maybe Bristol.
    Hello fellow biochemist! I'm applying to Oxford as well, although given my AS and GCSE grades I have almost no chance haha, no harm in trying though good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pwoperChloe)
    Hello fellow biochemist! I'm applying to Oxford as well, although given my AS and GCSE grades I have almost no chance haha, no harm in trying though good luck!!
    Oh, hi! It's nice to meet a fellow biochemist! What other universities are you applying for? You never know, so it's always best to try. Thanks, and good luck to you as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethFirmin)
    Oh, hi! It's nice to meet a fellow biochemist! What other universities are you applying for? You never know, so it's always best to try. Thanks, and good luck to you as well.
    I'm also applying for Surrey (maybe) Bath, and possibly UCL? I should probably be a bit more decided by now York is my first choice aside from Oxford though thank you! How's your personal statement going? Or have you finished your application, if you have then I'm way behind haha! Oops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pwoperChloe)
    I'm also applying for Surrey (maybe) Bath, and possibly UCL? I should probably be a bit more decided by now York is my first choice aside from Oxford though thank you! How's your personal statement going? Or have you finished your application, if you have then I'm way behind haha! Oops
    I'm also applying for Imperial College London, Sheffield and Bath, so we have three in common. I only decided on Bath recently because Bristol used to be my fifth choice, but I went on an open day and I wasn't really sure. Imperial College is my second choice, but I really like York as well. I thought I'd finished my personal statement but I was told today that I needed to add more academic stuff (I'd written more in previous drafts but I had cut it out, so I'll just have to go back and fit it in), so tomorrow I'll be working on my ninth draft. I kind of hate my personal statement because of how long I've spent on it and how much stress it has caused me. I just need to complete my personal statement and then get college to check it and sort out my references and stuff. How about you? xD

ReputationRep:
    I'm not from the UK and I'm not doing A levels, so can someone please explain to me how that works? How can you guys repeat exams, that seems crazy to me Do you repeat them over the summer, or do you have to stay behind an extra year while all of your classmates move ahead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brodderz)
    Heading there on Sunday. Leeds is a 20 minute train journey so don't worry about the night life situation. York has a fair few clubs but nothing incredible like you'd expect in a city!
    Do students ever live in York and take a train to Leeds just for a night, and then take the train back the same night? Or is that considered too expensive or too much of a hassle? Would you have to get like a hotel in Leeds for the weekend just to go out, and then head back to York before school starts again on Monday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendsfan08)
    I'm not from the UK and I'm not doing A levels, so can someone please explain to me how that works? How can you guys repeat exams, that seems crazy to me Do you repeat them over the summer, or do you have to stay behind an extra year while all of your classmates move ahead?
    A-Levels are done over 2 years, the first year is AS and the second year is A2. Exams are only on in May/June (Majority in June).

You can resit AS exams in your A2 year but you have to do them in June along with all the A2 exams, so usually you don't stay back a year, you just have more to revise in your second year.

Until last year, A-Level exams were in January and June, so if you had an exam in January, you could resit in June, and you were able to do resits of June AS exams in January as well. But that's been stopped now.

So you don't get left behind a year, you just add on loads to your second year workload when you have exams for both AS and A2 happening at around the same time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.