Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got chased last night and now I am scared... :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LillyLisaa)
    I started a gymnastics class last night and it is from 8:30-10:30pm at night and the class is about an hour on the bus away from my house. Well last night when I got back (off the bus) it was about midnight and this man started following me so I ran and I thought he had gone but then I saw him and he stared straight at me and said something like roar. I was so scared and ran as quick as I could as I was thankfully on my street. I was so scared that I was going to get killed or something.

I really don't know what to do. I loved the class and I really want to go back but what if it happens again? I have to get the bus I as I won't be able to afford taxis twice a week when they're about £15 and I have to pay for the classes too. I'm not scared of getting the bus but I am now really scared of walking home when I get off... It is only a 5 minute walk and my street is usually pretty safe so I thought it would be fine but I can now see that it is not. If it was earlier I could probably even knock on someone's door and ask for help but I couldn't do that at that time. What should I do? I really don't want to give up my classes but I am scared.
    Was it Ade9000?

(Original post by Ade9000)
    Was this you trying out your new "respectful" approach?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    Was it Ade9000?

Was this you trying out your new "respectful" approach?
    Yeah it was! Roaring is a sign of respect. So is following someone who has clearly displayed discomfort.

Don't you know this?

ReputationRep:
    Pardon the intrusion OP, cole-slaw is just being ridiculous.

Although I can put in my two cents as I had a similar experience. When I was 15, I got threatened to be stabbed by a hoodlum and he stole my phone. For at least a year, I would be afraid to walk down this street. So I had my mum wait for me at the bus stop and walk me home. I also took alternative routes home. i was alert as hell after this experiecne and even when I got a new phone I would hide it in my bag.

My advice: if you feel uncomfortable, you could walk home with friends, have your parents wait for you at the bus stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LillyLisaa)
    I guess he could have been drunk/on drugs or something... I don't know D: With all the bad things that happen to people these days it's understandable that this has scared me right?
    Of course! I'd be scared if you weren't scared. o.O It was a strange situation, with a shady looking guy seemingly following you. If you didn't act cautiously and got scared, then there was a greater risk that if this guy was actually out to do something really bad that he would have accomplished that. Your panic would have saved you from that, as it naturally should have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ade9000)
    Pardon the intrusion OP, cole-slaw is just being ridiculous.

Although I can put in my two cents as I had a similar experience. When I was 15, I got threatened to be stabbed by a hoodlum and he stole my phone. For at least a year, I would be afraid to walk down this street. So I had my mum wait for me at the bus stop and walk me home. I also took alternative routes home. i was alert as hell after this experiecne and even when I got a new phone I would hide it in my bag.

My advice: if you feel uncomfortable, you could walk home with friends, have your parents wait for you at the bus stop.

Really? people shouldn't do things like this...

I don't have any friends who want to come... You really do have to want do gymnastics to be able to learn the skills and if you aren't really into it then your not going to be able to work through the pain (I have already managed to get injured ) so I'm not going to be able to get anyone to join with me and they wouldn't walk home with me anyways as we don't live together...

My mum will be in bed and my dad has siatica (I don't know how to spell it) so can't really be on his feet long so it's unfortunately not an option I got a taxi when I got into town tonight because I didn't want to risk it as I wouldn't have been able to run as I am in pain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dominicwild)
    Of course! I'd be scared if you weren't scared. o.O It was a strange situation, with a shady looking guy seemingly following you. If you didn't act cautiously and got scared, then there was a greater risk that if this guy was actually out to do something really bad that he would have accomplished that. Your panic would have saved you from that, as it naturally should have.
    True...

Cant you invest in something like a pellet gun? If it looks like a real gun then this would deter practically any rapist. If you did need to use it you could shoot the scumbag in the face. This would provide you with a chance to escape, but not a murder charge. Pointless using knives coz theres an increased chance they could be used against you (not much good against multiple assailants). Also they are deadly, which could land you in jail or somethin. Anti rape sprays may also be useful. Try and take something which can quickly and easily stun a potential 2at if your gonna walk the streets alone at night.
      Self defense classes are relatively cheap and will teach you the basics at least.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.