Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What career do you intend to go into and why? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    I said next week for a reason! It's vaguely about ESA descriptors though. LPC is boring as hell aye? (my sister did the 'accelerated course' or something, and said not only is it massively boring, but there's a mind numbingly large amount of info to absorb.) She had a February~ start though afterwards. Guess you start around September?
    Ah, sorry, though it's EAT/HC might be on there. So dull, electives less dull, but apparently less useful for the actual TC.

Yeah, feels weird having it actually quite close now, it's just been on the horizon for so long it feels as if it should still be ages away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    If I'm not banned by then :lol:. If so, you'll have to hit me up on LinkedIn. I can be your liaison into the corporate environment.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/abdul-karim-ali/94/4b7/bab

Making moves from day.
    Random but you went forest hill? How did you survive?

Check out TSR Movie Madness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    Random but you went forest hill? How did you survive?

I live in Forest Hill and have just recently finished 6th form there, pretty crappy area no doubt. I wasn't always academically focused so in general it was just normal everyday life.

ReputationRep:
    Intended Career: Accountancy or audiology, I know they're completely different but I still haven't made up my mind.

Reasoning: The A-levels I do relate nicely to accountancy and it's always been something I've been interested in, but recently I've been thinking about audiology because I have tinnitus myself and I'd love to be able to help others with tinnitus and maybe even do some research into possible cures or coping methods.

Steps: For accountancy I'm working for 2 weeks at BDO in the summer and if I do well they'll offer me a place on the school leaver scheme. For audiology I'm currently trying to sort out work experience so that I can write my personal statement and apply to Southampton and Middlesex.

ReputationRep:
    Dentistry. So I can legally torture people
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    :eek: I hope you don't become my dentist in future...

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by bertstare)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JAIYEKO)
      Medicine

I'm in year 8 but I'm predicted 5 A*s (Bio, Chem, Phy, Maths, FM) at A2 and my dad works at Oxford
      orly?

I'm in year 7 and I'm predicted 9 A*s and a 1st class honours degree. My dad is the surgeon general.

pleb

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ChickenMadness)
      My sister didn't have any work experience when she started. She's worked in loads of different multinational law firms now Just takes time. You're only 21 so you don't really have that much experience on this subject to be spouting such negativity tbh lol.
      I didn't ever say you can't do it without work experience. You've missed my point, which was that those without work experience and so no real idea of what the career entails are often the ones to drop out when they realise it isn't how they envisaged. Who cares how old I am? I have done enough law work experience and a law degree so I'm sharing my experience, as are you.

(Original post by samba)
      I edited my post. My sister walked into one last year with a history degree. As I said, 3/4 in my family got it right. I'm the only one that ****ed up. If you have the desire, there's nothing to stop you achieving your goals. A judicial post generally refers to a post in the judiciary :confused: You know, those people appointed by JAC, aptly named the 'judicial appointment commission' In my care probably a tribunal judge in the first instance, unless I diverge to maritime. I volunteer, and have done for a while. I'm well aware there's no money in it (well, you get expenses). The majority of judicial appointments have no money in them either as I'm sure you well know.

I'm not sure you have any idea what 'my position' is? I'm a disabled mature student and veritable failure at life This thread isn't about my life though, so I'll spare you the details. I failed, maybe you failed too in your initial dreams, but that doesn't mean you should inhibit those of others. Some of the young ones in this thread DO have experience, practice, all those those things, and they likely can make it. Sure, they might realise it's not for them. But that's a journey for them to take.

The initial post was obviously tongue in cheek. I'm older than you. (I assumed you'd remember my work situation, as we spoke less than 2 years ago. Perhaps you are old and senile )
      I didn't say anything about your position? I am speaking in general. I'm sure you're not a failure at life, you have ambitions and you're trying again. There's nothing about failure here. I didn't fail in my dreams haha, I got my degree and can do what I wanted with it, I just don't want to now. And I don't remember ever speaking to you I'm afraid, I do come on here far too much...

(Original post by samba)
      Pretty sure she didn't have a clue what she meant lol. Probably thought I meant I wanted to be a solicitor/barrister and just termed it wrong and decided to go on offence. You don't even need to be a sol to become a tribunal judge.
      Ah yes, silly me with my law degree, clearly I know nothing on the subject at all...and you?

I've had several experiences with BBs in relation to IB so I genuinely believe this is something I would want to pursue as a career. In fact I'm currently an intern in said industry. May I ask what your experiences were, as it might be of some use?
      Fair enough, I didn't mean you as I said. I think chasing a career solely for the money is something teenagers do a lot and that's what I meant by idealistic. I have worked at John Lewis, Waitrose, Virgin Active, Superdry, I worked in a small family law firm for a month, a City firm for two weeks of work experience, a chambers for a week and another chambers for a day. I have a 2:1 law degree but probably won't be using it in whatever I go into now.

(Original post by Le Nombre)
      You can become a judge as a sol, just more uncommon as a) bazzas are the professional court room guys, b) Sols already have a pension so there's little to lure you away from continuing up the partnership lockstep and c) they know they can work a wig.

JAC are trying to increase solicitor appointments, which is meeting with some success in tribunals but not so much in the court system. Personally I quite fancy it, I've always loved a bit of fancy dress

I know haha, my Mum is a legal exec and apparently she can become one too. I didn't know whether it was common knowledge or not though. You should go for it!

ReputationRep:
      I live in Forest Hill and have just recently finished 6th form there, pretty crappy area no doubt. I wasn't always academically focused so in general it was just normal everyday life.
      Fair enough, do you think you'd change things if you got serious sooner? I can't really talk tbh, I went Addeys which was probably worse

ReputationRep:
      Career : Mental Health Nursing
      Reasoning: I enjoy psychology, the theories are intriguing. These theories will be partially used in my career which I will enjoy thoroughly.

I also enjoy helping people, and the aspect of helping someone in crisis by developing and nourishing them to the best they can achieve and allowing them to deal with daily life to a better standard is a wonderful thought I would like to do my job for.

Another reason is, Mental Health Nursing is a good salary, but I am not just working for a decent salary I am contributing my work to an individual to whom I may see recover with my own eyes.

Fourthly, I enjoy speaking with people, and mental health nursing is fundamentally about interpersonal skills, creating a professional bond with someone.

Lastly, I find medicine fascinating as too how it may assist to help an consumers life to better health, and this job consist of prescribing medicine when the client needs it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Toriar)
      Intended Career: Accountancy or audiology, I know they're completely different but I still haven't made up my mind.

Reasoning: The A-levels I do relate nicely to accountancy and it's always been something I've been interested in, but recently I've been thinking about audiology because I have tinnitus myself and I'd love to be able to help others with tinnitus and maybe even do some research into possible cures or coping methods.

Steps: For accountancy I'm working for 2 weeks at BDO in the summer and if I do well they'll offer me a place on the school leaver scheme. For audiology I'm currently trying to sort out work experience so that I can write my personal statement and apply to Southampton and Middlesex.
      That's great considering you're an A-levels student.

How are you finding your time at BDO? I had an insight there in spring, what department will you be working with?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
      Fair enough, do you think you'd change things if you got serious sooner? I can't really talk tbh, I went Addeys which was probably worse
      What do you mean by that?

I reckon after someone's willing to do well, they will find there own means to do so. Teaching quality isn't great.. so for me self-study was a viable option.

ReputationRep:
      That's great considering you're an A-levels student.

How are you finding your time at BDO? I had an insight there in spring, what department will you be working with?
      Thanks Oh cool, they came to my college earlier this year for some sort of event but I think it was aimed at Year 13s so I didn't go. Well, I've only been there for an interview so far but I really liked the people I met and I'm looking forward to working there at the end of this month, especially as we all get to go to the London office for the first day. I'll be working in audit (I didn't have the choice to do tax or advisory).

ReputationRep:
      What do you mean by that?

I reckon after someone's willing to do well, they will find there own means to do so. Teaching quality isn't great.. so for me self-study was a viable option.
      Nah don't worry and I kind of agree with you to some extent. I don't think it's fair that certain people have to go above and beyond just to 'catch up' or whatever. If teaching quality isn't great, then the school should do something about it

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Toriar)
      Thanks Oh cool, they came to my college earlier this year for some sort of event but I think it was aimed at Year 13s so I didn't go. Well, I've only been there for an interview so far but I really liked the people I met and I'm looking forward to working there at the end of this month, especially as we all get to go to the London office for the first day. I'll be working in audit (I didn't have the choice to do tax or advisory).
      Oh okay, great opportunity that will look great on your CV. I have a couple contacts there, although mainly in advisory. It's a nice building :rolleyes:. Make sure to network whilst you're there. Hopefully it will turn out to be an enjoyable experience.
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Into the field of virology because I love microbiology but I've always been particularly fascinated by viruses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Yasmin25)
      Into the field of virology because I love microbiology but I've always been particularly fascinated by viruses.
      Unconventional career aspiration . Given my ignorance on the subject, could you briefly explain what a virologist actually does?

ReputationRep:
      I'd like to become a solicitor - international business would be nice (I think that's what it's called)

How? Get some related work experience, make my PS look amazing, do A2 history English and German (or English maths and German. Not sure.) and get AAA or AAB (or perhaps ABB but ideally a little higher, I hope). Study law with German at uni, get a training contract, yay

Why? After spending work experience with a solicitor I realised how interesting and high paid the job really is. I also want to work with languages and international business law, I believe, deals with many languages and gives an opportunity to move abroad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ChickenMadness)
      ye you don't even have to be good since theres so many new indie game developers coming out all the time with projects. And 3D artists at all levels are in high demand tbh.

Not really. Heres some examples of stuff they do on the uni course. Just keep scrolling theres examples on every page.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68766
      But not all of those indie game developers are making much money infact loads close really quickly. how do you know all 3d artists are in high demand?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.