Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask a Muslim who is questioning his faith anything Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SerLorasTyrell)
    Yes because being made to learn a massive religious text off by heart so you will never forget it's contents is not indoctrination at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was he forced to learn it ?
    And just because you memorise something doesnt mean you believe it.

I know the road to serfdom inside out but dont believe in free market capitalism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James222)
    Playing devils advocate here the muslim response would be
    People can have a desire for alot of thinks like Alcohol,drugs or rape yet they are forbidden.

However god in his ultimate wisdom has forbidden certain things for public good.
    But why make some men/women homosexuals and doom them to a life of agony where they can't carry out their most primitive desires. Yet others heterosexuals and allow them to within marriage of course.

What did the homosexuals do to deserve that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Exactly, why would he require the worship of mere mortals. It's not like he requires, needs it so why would he want it?
    I was told Allah created us out of mercy, lots of things happening by Allah's mercy but I don't see any logic behind it, not even something too farfetched for religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Was he forced to learn it ?
    And just because you memorise something doesnt mean you believe it.

I know the road to serfdom inside out but dont believe in free market capitalism
    If you were made to remember the road to serfdom as a child and recite chapters everyday while simultaneously being told it's the truth from day one might have a different result though wouldn't it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In which language do you read the holy Qura'n?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    But why make some men/women homosexuals and doom them to a life of agony where they can't carry out their most primitive desires. Yet others heterosexuals and allow them to within marriage of course.

What did the homosexuals do to deserve that?
    Can all heterosexuals carry out their primitive desires ? Is this forum not full of posts by lonely boys and girls seeking advice

You can argue why has gone made certain people blind or retarded and they are unable to see or work. I may be wrong but I think the islamic position is homosexuality is caused by environmental factors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Well you could but I don't really want to, pretty shy about it.

I got asked to pray taraweeh at a local mosque but turned it down as I felt wrong leading the prayer with doubt about the faith in my heart, and it's a lot of pressure and I'm slightly shy with this sort of thing.
    Like nobody will know because you're anonymous...never mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you were made to remember the road to serfdom as a child and recite chapters everyday while simultaneously being told it's the truth from day one might have a different result though wouldn't it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I love how you're telling him what happened to me. When you have literally no way of knowing. As I said nobody made me do anything, it was my choice. And whatever direction I decide to take my faith to in the future, I will always be proud of doing it. As it showed me how to discipline myself, how to remain focused on a goal and achieving it, and taught me techniques on how to memorise information.

Please don't speak on behalf of me and please don't start an argument in my thread.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Again he wasnt forced to. Parents should be free to educate children in a particular religion thats not brainwashing.
    Brainwashing is not the same as bringing up children in same faith as yours. Brainwashing is more sinister

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wess10oti)
    In which language do you read the holy Qura'n?
    Arabic, but occasionally read English with commentary.

Can all heterosexuals carry out their primitive desires ? Is this forum not full of posts by lonely boys and girls seeking advice

You can argue why has gone made certain people blind or retarded and they are unable to see or work. I may be wrong but I think the islamic position is homosexuality is caused by environmental factors
    Good point. Yes but the fact is, it is permissible for them to carry out those desires where as under no circumstance could a gay do so in Islam.

Yes you could make that argument which is just as valid.

(Original post by qr95)
    Like nobody will know because you're anonymous...never mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know but I would and it would feel awkward listening to my own voice. I'm sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Things like this annoy me a little.

Pray this and you'll be fine...
    Carry out 2 Rakats namaz before your exam and you'll be fine
    Don't worry about the exam son, I'll make dua

In my experience this does nothing.
    This is my question, please will you watch this lecture when you have the time and let me know what you thought about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up9M5HG1M-0

ReputationRep:
    I to feel the same way and can relate to many things you have just said, I am a man of science and want to persue further study in the field of Physcis. There are many areas were Islam and science contradict each other especialy when you look at the world in its most basic form (fundamentals). The only way I have found of overcoming this is to seperate my mind with regards to religion and science I know its a cheat, but I cant bare the thought of upsetting my family...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    I love how you're telling him what happened to me. When you have literally no way of knowing. As I said nobody made me do anything, it was my choice. And whatever direction I decide to take my faith to in the future, I will always be proud of doing it. As it showed me how to discipline myself, how to remain focused on a goal and achieving it, and taught me techniques on how to memorise information.

Please don't speak on behalf of me and please don't start an argument in my thread.
    Okay, just never crossed my mind that someone would actually indoctrinate themselves, also you don't own the thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't you find it remarkable how you memorised the full Qur'an in a Arabic. But you can't pass your exams...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student296)
    This is my question, please will you watch this lecture when you have the time and let me know what you thought about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up9M5HG1M-0
    I haven't seen it just clicked on it. Is it about how supplications don't always get answered and other things can happen instead such as a calamity that was going to happen in the future would be removed for you instead of that supplication being true or you would be rewarded in paradise so greatly instead of the supplication becoming true that you would wish none of them would be true.

I'll watch it later though.

ReputationRep:
    Again he wasnt forced to. Parents should be free to educate children in a particular religion thats not brainwashing.
    Brainwashing is not the same as bringing up children in same faith as yours. Brainwashing is more sinister
    What's the difference then? Teaching a child something and then saying if you break this rule you will burn in hellfire for eternity seems pretty sinister to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    mate been questioning and became an apostate since 14 fam
    get on my level

ReputationRep:
    Okay, just never crossed my mind that someone would actually indoctrinate themselves, also you don't own the thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't indoctrinate myself. I'm just saying there is no need to start an argument, there are countless other threads where you could discuss what you want.

(Original post by qr95)
    Don't you find it remarkable how you memorised the full Qur'an in a Arabic. But you can't pass your exams...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, it's not that I outright failed but more just missed out on what I needed. Like at A-Level missed out on getting A*AA to study medicine and got ABB with each grade being one mark off the next after a remark. Then this year, first year of uni studying pharmacy achieved 90%+ in every module but failed one getting 49% when I required 50% to pass so now have to go in for reassessment. Just missing out is the story of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Well you could but I don't really want to, pretty shy about it.

I got asked to pray taraweeh at a local mosque but turned it down as I felt wrong leading the prayer with doubt about the faith in my heart, and it's a lot of pressure and I'm slightly shy with this sort of thing.
    Are you a qari?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    Are you a qari?
    No, I did read a bit into it though and I have a quran with tajweed markings, which I purchased recently, and do try to make a conscious effort to correctly pronounce words, stop when it's desired etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.