It's official, the UK is the gayest nation in Europe! Watch

ReputationRep:
    yay gr8 news
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This is great news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny the Geezer)
    I think the fact that we're one of the more socially liberal nations in Europe means people are more comfortable with their sexuality.
    This isn't so much about psychological 'comfort' necessarily, there may be European nations were gays feel more comfortable e.g. in the UK a large proportion of the population remain anything from uncomfortable/intolerant through to outright homophobic, it's just the state has made it acceptable to be gay, on paper

ReputationRep:
    What disturbs me is the apparent west-east gradient from the UK to Russia...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConsiderScience)
    I always thought so. With their shiny hair, and leather coats!
    The greasy Turk look? I know it well.. :danceboy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mutleybm1996)
    We also have one of the highest immigration rates and in a few years white british will be the ethnic minority. Doesn't mean we all like it but there's nothing we can do, it's the decision of those in power.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Even if that were true (which it isn't, you're vastly over estimating the rate of immigration), why would it matter?

Remember kids, don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minify)
    Spain is the super Catholic one so I am surprised at how accepting they are.
    Likewise! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't surprise me, whenever I go abroad I always find surprisingly high levels of bigotry. I do actually think that on balance, UK is the most progressive and tolerant country in the world, lets keep it that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    I cannot imagine for myself that over 82% of the population in Great Britain are gay. I think the true number is lower.
    Hahaha! They are if Peter Tatchel is to be believed :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)

"Rainbow Europe Map reflecting the 49 European countries’ legislation and policies that have a direct impact on the enjoyment of human rights by LGBTI people"

Source: http://www.ilga-europe.org/home/publ...rainbow_europe

What do people think of this, is the UK really as progressive as this might lead one to believe or is it merely indicative of a liberal/urban political/media elite pushing a pro-gay legislative agenda (whilst a significant proportion of the rest of society remain rather more Putin-esque in their values/outlook)?

Have people experiences of any of the other countries featured that differ from the indicator given?

France, Spain and Greece seem consistent with what I know of them, and we all know the Irish/Italians are a wee bit 'Vatican' at times, but their ratings still surprised me!
    It's probably just a joke. I used to live in Slovakia and you know what? Some people there are now trying to organise a referendum to prevent LGB people from ever getting registered partnerships or marriages. Slovakia: 31%, Czech Republic: 34%. Well... it has been now many years that Czech gay people have registered partnerships and now they are even considering marriages and something very similar to adoptions. This map is ****!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    I wonder whether it took the laws and policies of the regions and all cities of a country into account
    These are subject to national, and European law, which supersede such conventions :judge:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futbol)
    You don't need to tell me, sister.
    I don't? Alrighty then.. brother? :confused:

*camp high-five* :mmm:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    These are subject to national, and European law, which supersede such conventions :judge:
    Yeah, an other member before has told me that in a similar way. But thanks for answer nevertheless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socktor)
    They believe in global warming now? :eek:
    No, I think the point is that some of them put global weirding (freak weather events) down to punishment from on high e.g. for acts of sodomy (in affected regions?), rather than the insidious, cumulative effects of anthropogenic pollutants :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoltguyboo)
    The UK is a nation of many queens
    What a sterling reputation! :haughty:

i think it's something to be proud of that you guys are so diverse
    I'm not sure that's strictly speaking a correct use of 'diversity', particularly if you buy into the idea that homosexuality is simply something that is innate to a certain proportion of the population.. unless you are implying that we import a net gain of homosexuals, which is perfectly possible I suppose :holmes:

Diversity: "Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

ReputationRep:
    The methodology is still unclear and it'd be great if they could represent things in formats other than terrible infographics with meaningless percentages.

The UK is, compared to other countries, fantastic for LGBT rights, but we do also still have a long way to go. We still have the spousal veto, we still only recognise 42 sexes, we still don't demand people give more gender options than just male/female on forms, we still don't take LGBT persecution into much consideration when considering asylum, and most of all our society doesn't always reflect our legislation. Ours statutes reflect LGBT right ok, but society here is still incredibly homophobic and sexist; it's much better in the university bubble but LGBT friends I have who have graduated and not decided to live in London realise how lucky they've been for the past 3-4 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Not exactly.
    So what would you change, for example?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazar)
    What disturbs me is the apparent west-east gradient from the UK to Russia...
    Why does this disturb you, as such?

ReputationRep:
    Why does this disturb you, as such?
    Because we generally think of Europe as being progressive in comparison to other areas of the world, but this map highlights the fact that even in Europe, some countries are shockingly behind on the implementation of basic human rights.

ReputationRep:
    Legislation + policy does not equal general attitude

I'm from Hungary and according to that map Hungary got over a 50% score. We do have civil unions in Hungary which ot introduced a few years ago. Unfortunately, due to the rampant homophobia in Hungary, most Hungarian gay couples wouldn't dream of getting a civil union even if it is legal.

A few years ago there was a survey done where over 80% of Hungarians said they do not know any gay people. These same people are of course against gay marriage. Over 80%

I live in the UK now and the difference is massive. Whereas in Hungary, nobody bats an eyelid if you say something homophobic, people are more cautious in the UK. Even if someone doesn't particularly approve of the gays they are more likely to keep it to to themselves because they're aware it's not an acceptable behavior. In Hungary, the opposite is true. If someone does support gay rights, they don't voice their opinion because they are aware that nobody else agrees with them.

When a politician, celebrity etc says something homophobic in the UK there's usually a huge outcry, this would never happen in Hungary - or indeed, any Eastern European country - nobody cares, and if somebody does care then the rest of the population is surprised that anyone would care about the gays - they don't even live in our village...or in our country!

So yes I do think the UK is as progressive as it gets in the Western world. Of course there's still plenty of homophobia but certainly a lot more tolerant than probably most/every other countries in terms of both legislation and the general attitude of everyday people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.