Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the nicest thing a stranger has done for you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)
    you sure that wasn't just rolf harris putting on an accent hmmmm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

well when you put it like that.... who knows?
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    A lovely man gave me 30p towards my car parking on Saturday! Made all the difference
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    A man gave me a piece of his shortbread on a train last month #notaninnuendo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Lucifer)
    I was late for a job interview, this lovely old couple were waiting on a bus stop with me, offered to walk home and take their car and take them to the job interview. It's Probably one of the nicest things ever happened to me. On my way back after the interview, inside the bus on their way to town, I see them again and they told me that they won the lottery and it was their first time in 50 years.

I will never forget
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait, what? A couple were waiting at the bus stop, but they had a car. They offered to let you take their car, so you could get to your job interview on time? I don't understand why someone would be waiting for a bus if they had a car, but that is insane generosity and faith in humanity on their part. If it's what I think it means. I feel like I must not understand your post correctly, because I can't see anybody giving a stranger a key to their car and expect them to return it.

The lottery win is fantastically good karma if this is what I think you're saying.
    • Editorial Team

ReputationRep:
    I was waiting for the bus in December and someone gave me their bus ticket and a vegan cupcake. Made my day
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)
    A man gave me a piece of his shortbread on a train last month #notaninnuendo
    Scratch my stupid shortbread story. I was at Wimbledon on a school trip when I was 14 years old, wandering around looking for a doubles match (we didn't have tickets to the main courts), and a couple of Australian backpackers gave me and my friend centre court tickets because they were leaving. That made our day - it was the first time I'd been on centre court, and we got to see a great doubles match featuring the Bryan brothers. We also cheekily managed to make our way into the royal box, but then had to leave, at the behest of a very posh steward!

ReputationRep:
    A tourist put his umbrella over me the other day whilst i was working in the rain.. without a jacket.

ReputationRep:
    i ran out of money on my oyster and the bus driver let me on the bus anyways. i wish i could track down that bus driver i want to give him a gift or something because he could have got into trouble. has anybody else experienced this?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinejuice)
    i ran out of money on my oyster and the bus driver let me on the bus anyways. i wish i could track down that bus driver i want to give him a gift or something because he could have got into trouble. has anybody else experienced this?
    I have a friend who told me nearly exactly the same story, apart from the fact he had cash but the driver didn't have any chance so he still let him on for free. So I reckon it's pretty common on London buses!

ReputationRep:
    I was on the way home from a nighout in Mayfair with some friends, and I left my wallet in the taxi. I had over £500 in my wallet, and the next morning the taxi driver came to my house and not a penny was missing! I gave him half of it for being a legend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    Really in London? I live in north London. This has not happened to me!!
    Theres more of a chance of you getting knifed than that happening in north london

ReputationRep:
    I can't pick one, the world has plenty niceness in it. I think travelling is especially useful in finding it because you get yourself in unfamiliar situations and need directions or whatever sort of help. I find it a bit sad people can easily pick just one.

Folk in Canberra stand out to me because they are all weirdly nice. Like I was walking with my backpack and several people stopped to check I new where I was going. People do nice little things like chatting while waiting for coffee.

Couch surfing is also generally full of nice-ness. People who have opened up their home and lives to me.

Guy on the tram gave me his brolly because mine disappeared somewhere and his wife had one they could share.

I got confused about the day my bus was leaving because it was at like 00.05 so I was a day late. The ticket guy let me on for free and saved me from a night sleeping in the gym.

A hostel receptionist used his lunch break to drive me to the house I was moving in to, saving me from walking a fair bit with full backpack then a no air con tram in 40degrees+ heat.

I had a fairly long wait for my train home so some people I got had chatted to for all of a minute before went out of their way to drop me at a better train station.

I left my iphone on the bus and a guy found it and phoned my home number to let me know where I could come to get it back.

Few times I've been getting on the bus and someone has come off and handed me their day ticket or someone has left on in the bus stop.

I was out in a pub one night and somehow got chatting to this women. She bought me and my mate two drinks then got us into the club next door for free. As a fresher she was my favourite person ever, she is still regarded as one of the most awesome strangers ever many year later.

That's only really a few recent things I can remember, I'm sure there's loads more. Maybe I have good karma cause I try to be nice to people.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I was at a concert a few weeks ago and i forgot my sun cream and i was starting to burn and this lady behind me gave me some of her suncream and also let me and my friends borrow one of her blankets to sit on

ReputationRep:
    There was once a man that helped me carry a heavy suitcase down a flight of stairs at a train station.
    There was also a girl that came onto a bus just to give me 20p that I'd dropped and then got off again.

ReputationRep:
    This wasn't to me, but I was in the NFL fan rally down in London last year for the 49ers vs Jaguars game. I was stood in the crowd on the saturday and a couple were next to me talking about how interested they are in the NFL. A stranger behind them asked if they had tickets and they said they couldn't afford them. Turns out the stranger was the owner of the Jaguars fan club and he took their details and bought them side-line tickets and a jersey each.

ReputationRep:
    Agesssssss ago we went to feed the ducks in Windsor and I fell into the river somehow lmao. A lady walking past saw and just gave us some of her towels for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinejuice)
    That always happens to me. I think the bus drivers in my area are quite nice although there is a devil amongst them who even makes you get off if he doesn't have change.

(Original post by maths learner)
    I was on the way home from a nighout in Mayfair with some friends, and I left my wallet in the taxi. I had over £500 in my wallet, and the next morning the taxi driver came to my house and not a penny was missing! I gave him half of it for being a legend.
    Woaaah you're rich!

ReputationRep:
    The driving test centre had moved and I was totally lost, this was about 15 minutes before my test was scheduled, and a stranger walked with me all across town to the new site, to show me the way, so that I just made it in time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    That always happens to me. I think the bus drivers in my area are quite nice although there is a devil amongst them who even makes you get off if he doesn't have change.

Woaaah you're rich!
    I'm comfortable financially, but I try to help out where I can .

P.S. Nemo is amazing!

ReputationRep:
    A girl introducing me to another girl.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.