Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I just graduated with a degree in Viking Studies, AMA (ask me anything) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

How many people were there on your course?
    Was it mainly essay writing?
    Did you have a dissertation? If yes, what was it about?
    How challenging did you find your degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messalina)
    Well sorry, I'm not great at judging what complete strangers will find interesting. Look up the blood eagle if you want something I find interesting...

The human development is certainly interesting, I would suggest that a vast amount of modern life has changed thanks to the Norman invasion though, which was after the Viking period. If that hadn't happened things would be very different.

I think the violence and difficulty of everyday life would be hard to cope with. That and no basic healthcare. Otherwise the lifestyle back then was worlds away from our lives now, we'd all find it hard.
    ok, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    In short, what's the history of ancient Germans and vikings? Do Germans today have viking roots due to viking settlements in the north if any?

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your degree I applied for Nottingham Viking Studies and the course looked awesome!

I'm starting a Viking and Old Norse Studies degree at UCL in September. I know I probably won't get into a career directly relevant to my degree but many people don't so I don't see it as a problem or a waste of time.

[The title bugs me as people seem to think anything with 'studies' is an easy option. It also makes it sound way more specific than it actually is; my course (like the one at Nottingham) is cross-discipline. I'll be taking classes in history, culture, literature and archaeology, which will be just the same academic level as any other degree at UCL. You could just as easily call my degree 'Medieval History with Danish' or something like that]

EDIT: Realised I never asked a question. Did you say you can read Old Norse? How hard did you find it to learn?

ReputationRep:
    As the title says. I have recently graduated with a degree in Viking Studies (that is the title of my degree) from the University of Nottingham. Ask me anything!
    I think it's a quite awesome subject. I am interesting in Norse mythology and Nordic history, could you recommend me some books please?

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed a book by Melvin Burgess called Bloodtide when I was a teenager, it's based on the Volsunga Saga but it's set in the future. It was so bloodthirsty and action-packed yet hopeless, it just captured my imagination and made me want to learn more. Since that I've been hooked.

Favourite Viking is a difficult one, off the top of my head I'd have to say Ragnar Lodbrok. He was hardcore to the death. I'd love to know more about the women of Viking times, because they were pretty cool too, but not much is written about them. In Norse mythology my favourite is Thor, because of the story where he gets dressed up as a bride

My favourite saga is Grettir's Saga, mostly because I like the story - also I studied it for 2 semesters in a row and I know it pretty well. The saga of the Vinlands is up there as a
    favourite as well.

The Vikings greatest achievement, hmm. I'd have to say their trade network really, it was admirable the extent that they managed to trade things with other countries. In the Staffordshire hoard there are arabic dirhams and presumably they travelled even further. The great army (or heathen army) was also pretty impressive. I only wish they had been literate, it would be great to know what they had to say about themselves beyond the odd runic inscription.

Meh, I try not to pay much attention to the neo nazis. I have a Valknut tattoo, was pretty annoyed when I found out it had been adopted by people professing the aryan supremacy thing. Vikings weren't about racial purity, it wasn't of issue to them.
    I haven't watched it but if you like that guy you should check out this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings_%28TV_series%29

ReputationRep:
    Bit ignorant on Viking's admittedly... but how has your degree knowledge been useful? Why did you choose it?
    It seems that the experience you gained whilst studying saved your employability! (no offence meant).

ReputationRep:

Meh, I try not to pay much attention to the neo nazis. I have a Valknut tattoo, was pretty annoyed when I found out it had been adopted by people professing the aryan supremacy thing. Vikings weren't about racial purity, it wasn't of issue to them.
    Do you know more about what Valknut actually stance for?

Concerning the white supremacy thing: It is actually a topic? I mean also regarding to be in the position to maybe accidently fall over biased literature or being there to mantain the reall science and history?

Any suggestions on how to really understand the Edda? I read the younger one, but found it diffiult to understand everything, although I read a translation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymousmouse)
    In short, what's the history of ancient Germans and vikings? Do Germans today have viking roots due to viking settlements in the north if any?
    There are certainly links between the Vikings and Germans. Norse was a Germanic language and their trade network spread all across Europe, so they almost certainly spent a lot of time there. The "Vikings" are generally considered to be Scandinavian or Danish peoples, but there may well have been German-dwellers who thought of themselves as Vikings. There are probably genetic studies about the roots of modern people, I must admit that my focus was on Scandinavia and British Isles so I don't know a huge amount about Germany.

(Original post by VikingLemon)
    Congrats on your degree I applied for Nottingham Viking Studies and the course looked awesome!

I'm starting a Viking and Old Norse Studies degree at UCL in September. I know I probably won't get into a career directly relevant to my degree but many people don't so I don't see it as a problem or a waste of time.

[The title bugs me as people seem to think anything with 'studies' is an easy option. It also makes it sound way more specific than it actually is; my course (like the one at Nottingham) is cross-discipline. I'll be taking classes in history, culture, literature and archaeology, which will be just the same academic level as any other degree at UCL. You could just as easily call my degree 'Medieval History with Danish' or something like that]

EDIT: Realised I never asked a question. Did you say you can read Old Norse? How hard did you find it to learn?
    Awesome, always nice to come across somebody else with an interest in the subject! I agree, it was often pointed out by my coursemates in pure English or History how much more difficult my degree was in terms of cross-discipline. Just because it's called studies doesn't automatically make me some kind of idiot. Sigh. And yes, I can read old norse when it's written with our alphabet (I can decipher runes but it takes a long time!). Basically you use stepping stones, become acquainted with middle english, then old english, and then old norse - the similarities make them easier to decipher and also weirdly gives you an idea of how old norse differs from modern norweigan. I did find it difficult though, it was only my third year where I felt confident reading it, the two years before were a mad scramble of not having a clue how to read it

(Original post by Juichiro)
    I think it's a quite awesome subject. I am interesting in Norse mythology and Nordic history, could you recommend me some books please?
    Gods and Myths of Northern Europe by H.R. Ellis Davidson, Myth and Religion of the North: The Religion of Ancient Scandinavia by E.O.G. Turville-Petre, Dictionary of Northern Mythology by Rudolf Simek, The Poetic Edda translated by Lee M. Hollander, The Prose Edda by Snorri Sturluson, translated by Jesse L. Byock, The Sagas of Icelanders, The Well and the Tree: World and Time in Early Germanic Culture by Paul Bauschatz, The Viking Way: Religion and War in Late Iron Age Scandinavia by Neil S. Price

(Original post by Juichiro)
    I haven't watched it but if you like that guy you should check out this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings_%28TV_series%29
    I've seen it, it's jolly fun to watch but it's historically inaccurate and isn't anywhere as cool as the real bloke imo.

(Original post by hellodave5)
    Bit ignorant on Viking's admittedly... but how has your degree knowledge been useful? Why did you choose it?
    It seems that the experience you gained whilst studying saved your employability! (no offence meant).
    For one I'm good at looking at things from different angles thanks to the inter-disciplinary approach. Otherwise I wouldn't say it's been entirely useful per se, just incredibly interesting! The way I always saw it was I got to study something I loved and in the process learn skills that any humanities degree would teach you, thus making me employable. I feel very lucky that I got to study what I wanted to for so long. As for why I chose it, I was flicking through a prospectus in sixth form and happened across it, and thought it sounded so fantastic that I wanted to learn more! Weirdly as an English degree it didn't have any history prerequisites, so I don't have a history A level or GCSE yet I was able to study history modules at uni level. That was quite fun (since I love history, but I have no interest in modern history, which is all you get to do at school)

(Original post by Nathanielle)
    Do you know more about what Valknut actually stance for?

Concerning the white supremacy thing: It is actually a topic? I mean also regarding to be in the position to maybe accidently fall over biased literature or being there to mantain the reall science and history?

Any suggestions on how to really understand the Edda? I read the younger one, but found it diffiult to understand everything, although I read a translation.
    I know what it really stands for, but like the swastika, it was appropriated by a hate group and the power by association is the problem. I don't know much about white supremacy but basically avoid anything that mentions racial purity or the aryan race. Generally it's more of a problem in the states.

I don't really know how to explain the Edda, I found it quite straight forward, you just need to get used to the narrative voice. Read both the prose and the poetic Edda, and perhaps get the Cambridge companion book.

ReputationRep:
    I know what it really stands for, but like the swastika, it was appropriated by a hate group and the power by association is the problem. I don't know much about white supremacy but basically avoid anything that mentions racial purity or the aryan race. Generally it's more of a problem in the states.
    And what does it stands for?

ReputationRep:
    Valhall or Sessrumnir?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanielle)
    And what does it stands for?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valknut

ReputationRep:
    The more I read the word 'Viking', the less it seems like a real word. Anyway, I don't really have any questions. I think your degree sounds pretty interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, should have tried another language.

ReputationRep:
    Pointless degree why should my taxes pay for you to study this crap
    You will never earn over 21k and never repay the loan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James222)
    Pointless degree why should my taxes pay for you to study this crap
    You will never earn over 21k and never repay the loan
    Someone clearly hadn't read this thread :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Probably wasting my time on tsr actually, we've conversed before although you probably don't remember. Neither my course nor my university appear to have damaged my career prospects at all
    Don't listen to that douche :rolleyes: Which period of viking history fascinates you the most?

ReputationRep:
    Can you read the runic alphabet?
    and if you had to choose between all the Scandinavian languages which one would you consider learning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spring24)
    Can you read the runic alphabet?
    and if you had to choose between all the Scandinavian languages which one would you consider learning?
    I can't read it fluently but I can recognise it and with the alphabet beside me I can work out what the runes normally say. In an ideal world I would want to learn Icelandic because it's such a truly Viking place (it was settled by Vikings around c.1000) although I wouldn't mind giving Norweigan a go. In reality I am not great with languages so I probably won't learn either.

(Original post by cuckoo99)
    Don't listen to that douche :rolleyes: Which period of viking history fascinates you the most?
    I really like the changes in Anglo-Saxon England after the Viking invasion. The country was already just a mass of kingdoms rather than a unified state and the Vikings coming along made everything even more tumultuous.

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you apply for UCL? or if you did, why did you not choose to go there?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.