The Student Room Group

If a black/white man was born in China would they be Chinese?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Ive seen a black chinese person (with chinese eyes i mean) so weird.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LaughingBro
I'm a British born/bred Hakka and is currently living the PRC and feels much more freer/safer than in the UK. I can walk the streets here without the fear/worry frequently having random racist chavs shouting racist abuse at me such as 'GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY YOU F***ING CH**K!' , humiliating me with racist 'jokes' etc.

I can fully trust the PRC govt to fairly punish people who commits GBH etc against me and my loved ones and not just get a soft 'punishment' such as a caution, suspended sentence, open prison ('holiday camp') etc. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
This list is definitely not exhaustive.

The PRC hasnt done anything bad to the UK or 'merica but it's quite the opposite! The Brits invading my motherland, forcing us to buy their opium, raping our people, robbing our national treasures and not returning it or selling it back to us at a rip-off price when it should be free of charge and with compensation, setting fire to our imperial palaces etc. What the PRC did is nothing compared to the Brits who is pot calling kettle black. Now the anglo folks are sprouting crap about our increase military spending/capabilities when us poor folks just want to avoid the extremely painful and humiliating history from repeating itself.
America does way more vile deeds but hardly anyone buts an eyelid; maybe they are better at disguising/hiding the truth or the europeans just take it easy on their own kinds. :rolleyes:

Please don't dredge stuff up from the 19th century! We're living in the 21st century. China then was unrecognisable from China now (and the same goes for Britain). Also, if you really want to play that game, do you also want to talk about the much more recent holocaust of 30-60 million people (yes) that were murdered by the Chinese state's policies under Mao (and before him too)?

The fact is, people have zero political freedoms in China. If the government one day decides that it wants to demolish your house, it will go right ahead and do so without your permission. If the government decides that you're not allowed to talk about certain things, you won't be allowed to. If you want to visit certain internet sites that the government deems harmful, you won't be allowed to (the list is long).

Which "vile deeds" are you referring to that America carries out? I agree that America has committed crimes. But America has also done a lot of good for the world. The very existence of the Chinese state is a crime. The existence of the American state is something all humanity should be thankful for. Also, you have some nerve claiming that America's crimes go unnoticed. Europe is incredibly critical of America, much more than it needs to be, much more than of China and certainly much more than it has a right to be, given its tremendous debt to America.

I could go on of course. The Chinese state is oppressing people outside of China too - the Tibetan occupation, for instance. Christians are also persecuted in China. Falun Gong practitioners have faced enormous persecution and torture at the hands of the Communists. And China is an ideological ally of North Korea - the most genocidal and oppressive, totalitarian state on Earth.

This, to me, is the defining image of the illegal, oppressive PRC regime:

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by felamaslen
Please don't dredge stuff up from the 19th century! We're living in the 21st century. China then was unrecognisable from China now (and the same goes for Britain). Also, if you really want to play that game, do you also want to talk about the much more recent holocaust of 30-60 million people (yes) that were murdered by the Chinese state's policies under Mao (and before him too)?

The fact is, people have zero political freedoms in China. If the government one day decides that it wants to demolish your house, it will go right ahead and do so without your permission. If the government decides that you're not allowed to talk about certain things, you won't be allowed to. If you want to visit certain internet sites that the government deems harmful, you won't be allowed to (the list is long).

Which "vile deeds" are you referring to that America carries out? I agree that America has committed crimes. But America has also done a lot of good for the world. The very existence of the Chinese state is a crime. The existence of the American state is something all humanity should be thankful for. Also, you have some nerve claiming that America's crimes go unnoticed. Europe is incredibly critical of America, much more than it needs to be, much more than of China and certainly much more than it has a right to be, given its tremendous debt to America.

I could go on of course. The Chinese state is oppressing people outside of China too - the Tibetan occupation, for instance. Christians are also persecuted in China. Falun Gong practitioners have faced enormous persecution and torture at the hands of the Communists. And China is an ideological ally of North Korea - the most genocidal and oppressive, totalitarian state on Earth.

While trying to appear unbiased you have done the exact opposite. I will agree of course the vast majority of Chinese people have no political freedom to choose who the want to lead instead its done in house to appoint the 1 leader as chose by the other members who think will best lead the country. They only real difference in this aspect from America is the public vote on who they think is the best choice (out of only 2 possibles choices may I add). Now I will agree the public voting on their leader is probably the better way to do however mass amounts of people make stupid mistakes that can not only destroy their country but others (Look at the bush administration). I don't agree with the Chinese system but I don't think its the worst system in the world.

The annoying thing about comparing the USA to China is they are so similar and people don't realise because of the bull**** propaganda that is spewed on both sides (America is the biggest creator of propaganda in the world).

You have heard to much propaganda about China the government simply doesn't do anything they want, yes it is true they do demolish houses (with most people being paid off ofcourse) those who refuse well yes they will lose their house because they have less red tape here and if your house stands in the way of a multi million pound construction plan for the city then yes for the greater good you should just take the deal. Yes China does censor the media & the internet very openly they do it and everyone knows they do it I can only speculate the reasoning behind it maybe to keep control of the people, limit the flow of anti-Chinese propaganda from the US. Let's see what the USA does in comparison they secretly record, film and listen illegally to hundreds of thousands of peoples calls, e-mails, texts, web-cams and not just nationally, internationally.

Let's look at Chinese/American foreign policies. China does have a reputation of claiming terrotires that are not currently theirs this is true (as well most of the other Asian countries in this current island problem). China is now flexing itself a little more having more money to do so. I don't agree with this but let's looks at the alternative of america and its search for oil everywhere. USA started 2 illegal wars in 2 different countries, killing many thousands on soldiers, innocent civilians and relativity little 'terrorists' in comparison. They started these wars based on intelligence gathered by the UK & Germany but before the invasion and asking congress for permission both of these countries discredited this so called evidence stating that it was not reliable enough for immediate action on Iraq. What did 'murica do? Bomb the **** out of 2 poor countries (who they actually had a hand along with numerous other countries in building and making 'puppet' leaders while also directly funding the terrorists who then carried out the 9/11 attacks - karma sucks eh?)

Meanwhile China in the need for oil what have then done? Invested billions upon billions into Africa building roads, electricity, houses, stadiums everything they need in return for them selling their oil to China. Let's see who is morally better off?

Also don't try to state the Chinese government is a crime when the USA was founded upon treason. Also don't tell me I should be thankful for USA in my mind the USA & religion are the biggest obstacles to peace in the world. Don't tell me to be less critical of USA because UK owes them lots of money the main cause of the recession was USA banking.

Heres a tip when commenting on a country that you say has basically no rights, and censoring almost everything, don't just take it by what you hear on the news that's also censorship. If they are so well censored what is the information you are hearing? Never judge a book by its cover as they say.

Parting thought-

Good friend on mine travels to USA every 3 weeks for business and stays about 1 month, he travels to many other countries but mostly resides in China when he is not working. His exact words to me was "America is far more controlled than China, the people think they live in a free country but its really the most restrictive experience I have ever experienced doing this job for 20 odd years. The people have virtually no freedom of speech but believe they do"

I actually disagreed with on this but I have never personally lived in the USA so I cannot comment.
Original post by Stevenishungover
While trying to appear unbiased you have done the exact opposite. I will agree of course the vast majority of Chinese people have no political freedom to choose who the want to lead instead its done in house to appoint the 1 leader as chose by the other members who think will best lead the country. They only real difference in this aspect from America is the public vote on who they think is the best choice (out of only 2 possibles choices may I add). Now I will agree the public voting on their leader is probably the better way to do however mass amounts of people make stupid mistakes that can not only destroy their country but others (Look at the bush administration). I don't agree with the Chinese system but I don't think its the worst system in the world.

The annoying thing about comparing the USA to China is they are so similar and people don't realise because of the bull**** propaganda that is spewed on both sides (America is the biggest creator of propaganda in the world).

You have heard to much propaganda about China the government simply doesn't do anything they want, yes it is true they do demolish houses (with most people being paid off ofcourse) those who refuse well yes they will lose their house because they have less red tape here and if your house stands in the way of a multi million pound construction plan for the city then yes for the greater good you should just take the deal. Yes China does censor the media & the internet very openly they do it and everyone knows they do it I can only speculate the reasoning behind it maybe to keep control of the people, limit the flow of anti-Chinese propaganda from the US. Let's see what the USA does in comparison they secretly record, film and listen illegally to hundreds of thousands of peoples calls, e-mails, texts, web-cams and not just nationally, internationally.

Let's look at Chinese/American foreign policies. China does have a reputation of claiming terrotires that are not currently theirs this is true (as well most of the other Asian countries in this current island problem). China is now flexing itself a little more having more money to do so. I don't agree with this but let's looks at the alternative of america and its search for oil everywhere. USA started 2 illegal wars in 2 different countries, killing many thousands on soldiers, innocent civilians and relativity little 'terrorists' in comparison. They started these wars based on intelligence gathered by the UK & Germany but before the invasion and asking congress for permission both of these countries discredited this so called evidence stating that it was not reliable enough for immediate action on Iraq. What did 'murica do? Bomb the **** out of 2 poor countries (who they actually had a hand along with numerous other countries in building and making 'puppet' leaders while also directly funding the terrorists who then carried out the 9/11 attacks - karma sucks eh?)

Meanwhile China in the need for oil what have then done? Invested billions upon billions into Africa building roads, electricity, houses, stadiums everything they need in return for them selling their oil to China. Let's see who is morally better off?

Also don't try to state the Chinese government is a crime when the USA was founded upon treason. Also don't tell me I should be thankful for USA in my mind the USA & religion are the biggest obstacles to peace in the world. Don't tell me to be less critical of USA because UK owes them lots of money the main cause of the recession was USA banking.

Heres a tip when commenting on a country that you say has basically no rights, and censoring almost everything, don't just take it by what you hear on the news that's also censorship. If they are so well censored what is the information you are hearing? Never judge a book by its cover as they say.

Parting thought-

Good friend on mine travels to USA every 3 weeks for business and stays about 1 month, he travels to many other countries but mostly resides in China when he is not working. His exact words to me was "America is far more controlled than China, the people think they live in a free country but its really the most restrictive experience I have ever experienced doing this job for 20 odd years. The people have virtually no freedom of speech but believe they do"

I actually disagreed with on this but I have never personally lived in the USA so I cannot comment.

No, the Chinese system is not the worst in the world. North Korea is worse. Saudi Arabia is perhaps worse. That's not saying much though.

China is NOT anything like the USA, and anybody who claims that it is simply doesn't know the first thing about either country's principles. For example, your comparison between the NSA spying and China banning freedom of thought is totally invalid. The government knowing what you are saying to other people, while arguably being an invasion of your privacy, is not comparable in any way to the government preventing you from engaging in that communication. It is as if you are comparing stealing somebody's violin and throwing it in the skip (China), to standing outside their home, listening to them play (USA).

Contrary to your friend's claim that the US has no freedom of speech, it has more freedom of speech than virtually any other country in the world. No blasphemy laws. No restrictions on criticism of government policy. No restrictions on anti-government demonstrations. No restrictions on who is allowed to run for office (you say there are only two possible choices - that is not true. If Americans decided next election that they want to vote in a different party, then that would get elected. How is it only two choices?). This was not all true until fairly recently (about the time that Saudi Arabia got around to banning slavery), and shockingly recently in some states, but today it is true.

If you want to talk about foreign policy, then simply compare the US throughout the 20th century, to China throughout the 20th century. What did the US do? It fought and defeated fascism. It fought and defeated communism. It is now fighting Islamism, although doing a poor job of it currently (with Obama supporting the Islamist president of Egypt, for example). These are the three greatest evils of recent human history, and the US has been on the right side against all of them. China was on the right side against fascism, but it wholeheartedly supported communism. And there is a fundamental point to make which I believe refutes your analysis completely: if China invades and occupies a country, it is guaranteed not to become free. If the US invades and occupies a country, it may become free. Germany and Japan are the two most prominent cases. You talk about the US bombing two "poor countries". What you fail to mention is that both cases were abject tyrannies. One was a genocidal tyranny in fact. US action in Iraq did not make the country worse, it just failed to make it better. And US action in Afghanistan has made it better, a little bit anyway.

China has not attempted to get oil out of the middle east, to my knowledge. If they were engaged in that market, then due to the nature of the middle east they would also have to fight wars.

The US was founded upon "treason" against an illegitimate ruler (the monarchy of the UK). When I say "crime" I do not refer to what appears in historical statute books. I refer to modern day reality and human suffering and oppression. If you think that the USA is the biggest threat to world peace, then you are delusional. They are our only hope for world peace.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 84
This is ridiculous how did this topic get to this stage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by felamaslen
No, the Chinese system is not the worst in the world. North Korea is worse. Saudi Arabia is perhaps worse. That's not saying much though.

China is NOT anything like the USA, and anybody who claims that it is simply doesn't know the first thing about either country's principles. For example, your comparison between the NSA spying and China banning freedom of thought is totally invalid. The government knowing what you are saying to other people, while arguably being an invasion of your privacy, is not comparable in any way to the government preventing you from engaging in that communication. It is as if you are comparing stealing somebody's violin and throwing it in the skip (China), to standing outside their home, listening to them play (USA).

Contrary to your friend's claim that the US has no freedom of speech, it has more freedom of speech than virtually any other country in the world. No blasphemy laws. No restrictions on criticism of government policy. No restrictions on anti-government demonstrations. No restrictions on who is allowed to run for office (you say there are only two possible choices - that is not true. If Americans decided next election that they want to vote in a different party, then that would get elected. How is it only two choices?). This was not all true until fairly recently (about the time that Saudi Arabia got around to banning slavery), and shockingly recently in some states, but today it is true.

If you want to talk about foreign policy, then simply compare the US throughout the 20th century, to China throughout the 20th century. What did the US do? It fought and defeated fascism. It fought and defeated communism. It is now fighting Islamism, although doing a poor job of it currently (with Obama supporting the Islamist president of Egypt, for example). These are the three greatest evils of recent human history, and the US has been on the right side against all of them. China was on the right side against fascism, but it wholeheartedly supported communism. And there is a fundamental point to make which I believe refutes your analysis completely: if China invades and occupies a country, it is guaranteed not to become free. If the US invades and occupies a country, it may become free. Germany and Japan are the two most prominent cases. You talk about the US bombing two "poor countries". What you fail to mention is that both cases were abject tyrannies. One was a genocidal tyranny in fact. US action in Iraq did not make the country worse, it just failed to make it better. And US action in Afghanistan has made it better, a little bit anyway.

China has not attempted to get oil out of the middle east, to my knowledge. If they were engaged in that market, then due to the nature of the middle east they would also have to fight wars.

The US was founded upon "treason" against an illegitimate ruler (the monarchy of the UK). When I say "crime" I do not refer to what appears in historical statute books. I refer to modern day reality and human suffering and oppression. If you think that the USA is the biggest threat to world peace, then you are delusional. They are our only hope for world peace.

China has not banned freedom of thought that's ridiculous their are still quite a lot of protests held around China although be it for fairly minor things in comparison. Also to say the USA has the most freedom of speech in the world is also untrue to defeat point just have to mention the terrorism act yes you will argue that is only for legitimate terrorists but however how many times have you seen people being abducted, arrested or simply just disappear because they preach anti-american typically being Muslims who speak out against the bombing of their countries. I'm not saying the security services are to blame for all these or that everyone who claims to be innocent is but the fact is that many innocent people have been detained, question, harassed because they preach anti-america.

Ok history then since my knowledge of American history is not perfect when did USA defeat fascism bar WW2? It defeated communism? Pretty sure plenty of countries are still labeled as communist (all be it very wrongly). Also this is the best form of propaganda ever by USA, communism is not evil infact many brilliant western people have stated that communism is the perfect society it is man that ultimately corrupts it.

I won't argue on whether the US invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan was for better or worse because truth be told we don't know and wont know until 10 years down the line like Vietnam or Korea it takes time to see what the ultimate outcome is. Just because Iraq was run by a terrible leader (that the CIA supported, funded and ultimately put into power causing the whole mess in the 1st place) does not give any country the right by international law to invade with no just cause. So the invasion was illegal by nature. Also if thats the justification and 'Murica is the world police I have list of about 30 or so countries to bomb the **** out of. Maybe get some oil while you're at it.

Now you are insulting the middle east? Saying the only way to do business with them is to bomb the **** out of them? Well that is 'Murica right there. "Due to the nature of the middle east" wise up. Africa is well known war torn country China has happily set up trade agreements without firing a single gun, how? They respected the people, gave them money they need built their infrastructure sure they could have just marched their army into Africa and taken it all over easily but that's not the right way to do it.

Against an illegitimate ruler? The UK who settled America and populated the island so then they could rebel? By that analysis the US is also a traitor to the UK and the native Americans? But lets not dwell on that different times and all that.

I am not delusional, you can trace a lot of problems in the world straight back to American involvement generally covert CIA involvement but not always. Some of their "secret laws" they passed that have now come into the public eye are disgusting and the work of mad men.
Reply 86
will become Chinese national, NOT Chinese

I know it because 我是中国人
Who cares? The english community in China aint going anywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending