Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did your parents influence your choice of university or course? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by albee)
    Yes, and I guess that those who are in limbo are far more interested in track being updated than those who know they met their offer conditions! He is only a point off his insurance offer, so we are still optimistic that they'll take him as it's a large course (300) and his predicted grade was well above the entry requirement. It may well be a case of sweating until 14 August as many unis won't decide without knowing 'A' level outcomes.

Will stop hi-jacking this interesting thread and let everyone get back to complaining about their parents
    As an aside, mine gave some advice, but more or less left me to it. I used to think that that was a bit slack, whereas I now realise that they trusted me to make the right choices and that it's really quite difficult to strike the right balance between interested and controlling!
    Yes, they may still be making up their minds for a while, but you never know.

On topic, if my own parents hadn't given me a stern talking to when I was going through whatever the sulky emo teenage phase was called back in the 70s, I'd never have gone. I distinctly remember saying that as I wasn't Oxbridge material, there wasn't anywhere else worth going and I was going to work in Woolworths. I am eternally grateful for them telling me I was being childish and stupid. I see the same patterns being replicated on here every day and although I try to phrase it slightly more kindly than they did, I dish out the same message because they were right. Dammit.

ReputationRep:
    That is the crux of it - we are all at differing stages of being willing to admit that our parents may have a point!

Though some parents do seem to be fairly unreasonable in all sorts of ways. I think that a lot of the temptation to control is simply borne of fear for their children's futures and a dread of them leaving home, i.e. well-intended. Some will be down to financial pressures.
    As someone who likes to have a plan and be organised, I have found it quite hard to get used to idea that I don't know what's coming next for my child - it's not his firm choice anyway, track is alive and well!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, my parents are control freaks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by albee)
    That is the crux of it - we are all at differing stages of being willing to admit that our parents may have a point!

Though some parents do seem to be fairly unreasonable in all sorts of ways. I think that a lot of the temptation to control is simply borne of fear for their children's futures and a dread of them leaving home, i.e. well-intended. Some will be down to financial pressures.
    As someone who likes to have a plan and be organised, I have found it quite hard to get used to idea that I don't know what's coming next for my child - it's not his firm choice anyway, track is alive and well!
    Also, after a career lifetime of parents' evenings, I know very well that there are always two sides to every story.

ReputationRep:
    My parents had no influence over Unis as they were just pleased I decided to go to Uni as none of my direct kin went any further than O Level. However, my great uncle did help me get a tour round Bristol University's dental hospital, influencing my decision to apply for Bristol, which didn't work out. But it all worked out well in the end because I chose Cardiff and feel I made the right decision!

ReputationRep:
    They were supportive but never pushed me towards anything, it was alwas my choice but they were there if i needed them
    • Editorial Team

ReputationRep:
    I actually didn't talk to my parents at all about applying for university. I remember asking my mum to write a cheque for UCAS and eventually telling her what I was applying to do.
    My Tutor was a pain though with the personal statement - hence I ended up changing what I was applying for.
    But in the end I applied for universities which were close to BF and other friends - which I actually regret now. But ah well *shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    It was said I could start the following day, the following week or in September. I was 4 and this was for infants' school. I told the lady who brought the news that I wanted to start the following day. My mother said that then she would have to get my coat washed.

From that moment onwards, every decision about my education was always mine alone.

ReputationRep:
    Influenced my choice of uni to an extent (though it was still mainly my own choice), but not the course.

ReputationRep:
    only insofar as encouraging me to not be afraid of taking a risk and aiming high. Supportive is probably a better description.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.