Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSA doing 5/3/1. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Numbers are very low to be starting an intermediate program. The progression just isn't as fast as you're capable of. Good luck nonetheless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Numbers are very low to be starting an intermediate program. The progression just isn't as fast as you're capable of. Good luck nonetheless
    I'm having no progression at the moment though. Slow progression > No progression

ReputationRep:
    In. Have seen n00bs make gains on 5/3/1 before. You just increase your training max more after each cycle due to smashing the reps on the 1 week.

ReputationRep:
    5/3/1
    Week 1 Monday

Military press

25x1x5
    27.5x1x5
    32.5x1x11

ReputationRep:
    Week 1 Tuesday

Deadlift

80x1x5
    90x1x5
    105x1x11

I "rested" for a longer that I usually do for the final set because some guy was hogging all the 2.5 and 1.25 plates.

ReputationRep:
    My numbers were considered fairly beginner to be starting 5/3/1 but I saw some great gains with it, nice and consistent.
    Slow and steady wins the race, don't rush the increases.
    Best of luck!

Edit: what assistance are you doing? I'd recommend boring but big

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobJ93)
    My numbers were considered fairly beginner to be starting 5/3/1 but I saw some great gains with it, nice and consistent.
    Slow and steady wins the race, don't rush the increases.
    Best of luck!

Edit: what assistance are you doing? I'd recommend boring but big

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I'm doing BBB.

What were(are?) your progress stats?

So you would recommend 2.5kg increase each 4 weeks for both upper and lower body workouts?

I've noticed I am getting a lot more reps that I thought I would, I'm not sure whether this is because of the mentality I've gone into the programme which is very positive or if it is because I'm focussing on one main lift a day so I know to give 100% to that.
    The last lift of the day on SS would require a lot of energy both mentally and physically and I'm pretty sure one lift or even two sometimes would suffer every workout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Yeah I'm doing BBB.

What were(are?) your progress stats?

So you would recommend 2.5kg increase each 4 weeks for both upper and lower body workouts?

I've noticed I am getting a lot more reps that I thought I would, I'm not sure whether this is because of the mentality I've gone into the programme which is very positive or if it is because I'm focussing on one main lift a day so I know to give 100% to that.
    The last lift of the day on SS would require a lot of energy both mentally and physically and I'm pretty sure one lift or even two sometimes would suffer every workout.
    I gained about 7.5-10kg in each lift except OHP which was about 5kg.
    2.5kg seems a good choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haven't updated this in ages. Keep forgetting. Will update later today or tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Week 1 Thursday

Bench Press

42.5x1x5
    47.5x1x5
    55x1x6

Week 1 Friday

Squat

72.5x1x5
    82.5x1x5
    92.5x1x9

Week 2 Monday

Military

25x1x3
    30x1x3
    35x1x10

Week 2 Tuesday

Deadlift

85x1x3
    97.5x1x3
    110x1x11

So far it has been feeling pretty easy but feeling it on the last few reps of the last sets.

ReputationRep:
    For 5/3/1 it may be worth looking up the joker sets that wendler has recommended as of late, gives you more volume at the top weights

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobJ93)
    For 5/3/1 it may be worth looking up the joker sets that wendler has recommended as of late, gives you more volume at the top weights

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm doing boring but big with the main programme.

Week 2 Thursday
    Bench

45x1x3
    52.5x1x3
    57.5x1x6

ReputationRep:
    whats your diet/recovery like? bit early to stall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    whats your diet/recovery like? bit early to stall
    Are you referring to SS? Diet and recovery were good. Was getting enough sleep and eating good and enough.

I'm liking 5/3/1 a lot more though. Although I expect progress to be a lot slower, it's progress nonetheless and as long as I'm making progress and beating PBs I'm happy. I think it helps having a day to focus on one main lift especially mentally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Are you referring to SS? Diet and recovery were good. Was getting enough sleep and eating good and enough.

I'm liking 5/3/1 a lot more though. Although I expect progress to be a lot slower, it's progress nonetheless and as long as I'm making progress and beating PBs I'm happy. I think it helps having a day to focus on one main lift especially mentally.
    definitely. whatever works for you mate

ReputationRep:
    Ain't updated in a while.

Just a quick update.

This week.

Military Press 35 x 1 x 12
    Deadlift 107.5 x 1 x14
    Bench 60 x 1 x 5

Squatting this week.

Lifts before my deload week which was the week before last were

Military 37.5 x 1 x 8
    Deadlift 117.5 x 1 x 10
    Bench 62.5 x 1 x 3
    Squat 105 x 1 x 10

My diet hasn't been that good for the past few weeks due to some money problems, was hitting around 2500-2700 calories which wasn't enough considering the amount of cycling and running I was doing to get around, on some bad days it was as low as 1800-2000. However money is okay now and I'm hitting 3000 daily with about 180-200g protein. Probably going to eat the same thing till Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    Nice lifting but since when is Starting strength so high reps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    he's doing 5/3/1 iirc
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    He's doing 531 BBB I believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    he's doing 5/3/1 iirc
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    He's doing 531 BBB I believe

He needs a name change for his blog then.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.