Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am an ex Muslim. Ask me anything. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco1)
    I disagree with your belief of having no free will at all. If that is so then how can people make radical changes in their life for the better. It's a conscious decision to shake off old habits. Why have we developed such a sophisticated apparatus for abstract thought, pondering the meaning of our existence and place within the universe? Animals don't have the level of consciousness that humans do. Thoughts come and go but we choose to act in one way or the other.
    For example, when coming to a T-Junction in the road, even if our brain and logic tells us we should turn left, we can always consciously rebel against our own better judgement and turn right, even if only to prove that we DO have free will. If it is as you say, life is merely a masquerade with no point. Why bother even breathing then because it would be meaningless. People have the power of choice. Determinism, predestination, cause and effect is only true in part. The whole picture is much more pleasant.
    Because I think our subconscious thinking is developed for the purpose of our survival. I think it is our unconscious part that makes us do certain things and we just witness our actions. It's been shown that our neuromotor and neurophysiological actions are the result of complex processes at the subconscious level. We have no control over what happens at that level.
    Free will is an illusion and if you think you are rebelling against logic, I believe you are being misled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    Because I think our subconscious thinking is developed for the purpose of our survival. I think it is our unconscious part that makes us do certain things and we just witness our actions. It's been shown that our neuromotor and neurophysiological actions are the result of complex processes at the subconscious level. We have no control over what happens at that level.
    Free will is an illusion and if you think you are rebelling against logic, I believe you are being misled.
    Does that prove that our conscious level of decision making has no direct bearing on our subconscious, which you say generates our neuromotor and neurophysiological actions. It could be a natural for input at the conscious level to be processed through the subconscious before a physical action results?

ReputationRep:
    Let me guess.

You're a girl (I might be wrong).

You have concluded that Islam treats women unfairly.

You feel as if Islam is trying to cage you (I have no freedom).

You look at those lunatics and insane war criminals who call themselves muslims (they are not muslims) and kill people. And you despise this.
    ________________________________ ________

Let me tell you something. You are going through a phase. This phase won't last long. Because when you start feeling that you are losing control over your life. When you feel that there is no order or a sense of purpose left in your life. You will return back to Islam. You don't have to agree with me. I understand your situation. You will likely feel as if no one understands you or is being supportive of your decision. But one day, when you're burdened by a heavy boulder over your shoulder. When you feel utterly helpless. When you're thirsty for peace and love. You'll see the truth. And you'll come back to Islam.

P.S: If i were your friend, then i would've requested you to come back to Islam.

What you're lacking is divine love. But you'll find it someday, i'm sure. Only if you come back to Islam.

Assalamualaikum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystery Me)
    Let me guess.

You're a girl (I might be wrong).

You have concluded that Islam treats women unfairly.

You feel as if Islam is trying to cage you (I have no freedom).

You look at those lunatics and insane war criminals who call themselves muslims (they are not muslims) and kill people. And you despise this.
    ________________________________ ________

Let me tell you something. You are going through a phase. This phase won't last long. Because when you start feeling that you are losing control over your life. When you feel that there is no order or a sense of purpose left in your life. You will return back to Islam. You don't have to agree with me. I understand your situation. You will likely feel as if no one understands you or is being supportive of your decision. But one day, when you're burdened by a heavy boulder over your shoulder. When you feel utterly helpless. When you're thirsty for peace and love. You'll see the truth. And you'll come back to Islam.

P.S: If i were your friend, then i would've requested you to come back to Islam.

What you're lacking is divine love. But you'll find it someday, i'm sure. Only if you come back to Islam.

Assalamualaikum.
    You couldn't be further from the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    This forum is chock-full of nutters.

Why can so many muslims not accept the fact that others can quite easily disagree with and leave the faith that they themselves cling to?
    I don't know. The user misled himself. He was wrong about pretty much everything. Honestly, I feel quite secure and happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    ... i am not thirstry for peace and love; I have friends very accepting and supporting of my decision (muslim as well as atheists, fyi)...
    You said your friends don't know yet on the very first page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankabout)
    You said your friends don't know yet on the very first page.
    Not my classmates. Not 90% of my mates. Not my family either.

Four muslim friends and like 2 atheists tbh know. Not my classmates or the friends i most hang out with. Take this as a correction if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    Not my classmates. Not 90% of my mates. Not my family either.

Four muslim friends and like 2 atheists tbh know. Not my classmates or the friends i most hang out with. Take this as a correction if you want to.
    Right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    I lost faith in Allah a year ago. Feel free to ask mostly anything and i probably will answer all of them.
    Congratulations. You will now live a peaceful life without any form of delusional beliefs.

Can I ask why you fell away from "Allah"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    Nope, I plan to tell them when I am living independently haha :rolleyes:
    Omg that is my exact situation... Gotta go along with them for now, but once I become independent... Hasta la vista baby!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-Rooney)
    Congratulations. You will now live a peaceful life without any form of delusional beliefs.

Can I ask why you fell away from "Allah"
    Thanks.

Lack of scientific evidence for allah, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millahat)
    Omg that is my exact situation... Gotta go along with them for now, but once I become independent... Hasta la vista baby!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice. Good luck :five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    Thanks.

Lack of scientific evidence for allah, really.
    religion can be pretty messed up. What were your views on stoning/slashing as a form of punishment for anyone who disobeyed Allah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-Rooney)
    religion can be pretty messed up. What were your views on stoning/slashing as a form of punishment for anyone who disobeyed Allah?
    When I was 13, I thought it was perfectly acceptable to stone gays, apostates and adulterers. By 15, I lost most of my faith in Islam for simply being more confident in my sense of morality (believing stoning shouldn't be acceptable and I wasn't homophobic anymore, which is also when I realised I cannot express my views for the sake of my safety) and thinking: "if allah's views aren't similar to mine, then I hate him" and they weren't similar. I soon had realised, regardless of whether it was doctrine, a good God shouldn't allow stoning to take place, stoning of young girls for being raped, allow child marriages, etc., and the whole "life is a test" thing really pissed me off to the point where I despised God but still had a bit of faith he existed - i believed he is just malevolent. A lot has changed in a few years evidently as I am now non-religious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    When I was 13, I thought it was perfectly acceptable to stone gays, apostates and adulterers. By 15, I lost most of my faith in Islam for simply being more confident in my sense of morality (believing stoning shouldn't be acceptable and I wasn't homophobic anymore, which is also when I realised I cannot express my views for the sake of my safety) and thinking: "if allah's views aren't similar to mine, then I hate him" and they weren't similar. I soon had realised, regardless of whether it was doctrine, a good God shouldn't allow stoning to take place, stoning of young girls for being raped, allow child marriages, etc., and the whole "life is a test" thing really pissed me off to the point where I despised God but still had a bit of faith he existed - i believed he is just malevolent. A lot has changed in a few years evidently as I am now non-religious.
    Good for you man. I totally agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mightyfrog2_10)
    yh I've been through your history and the first post of yours was :

No one makes a tsr account and makes a thread like this this unless you have an another account.
    Yes, doesnt mean anything. The ama theme was in the air and i was a lurker and sooo bored so I thought I would make an account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    Yes, doesnt mean anything. The ama theme was in the air and i was a lurker and sooo bored so I thought I would make an account.
    it means something, so that's the first thing you thought of when making an account? Not "Hi I am blah blah just joined today",
    Do you or do you not have another account?

ReputationRep:
    Well done for seeing the light

ReputationRep:
    What's your favourite food and drink?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keoje)
    What's your favourite food and drink?
    Mince meat and rice. Mmmmmm... And coca cola

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.