Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderer1029)
    I can make instrumentals on a Korg micro station I bought, never played an instrument before I bought the microstation less than a year ago but will definitely learn how to play multiple instruments in the years to come. I started writing and singing songs recently, I have songs all over the place on my phone, computer and on paper of all genres, I love it. I have posted a couple of songs on youtube, I go by the name Skag.
    Check out my first song on youtube below if you want.

Quite good.

I think your voice needs a bit more character though but the backing track in general is very good. Very smooth.

ReputationRep:
    Electric guitar and bass, played guitar for around 5 years, bass around 3. I'm trying to start writing my own stuff but haven't been able to do it yet.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __Adam__)
    Electric guitar and bass, played guitar for around 5 years, bass around 3. I'm trying to start writing my own stuff but haven't been able to do it yet.
    What genre of music are you looking to write?

ReputationRep:
    I play guitar, piano, drums, bass and trumpet, but predominantly stick to acoustic guitar which I compose for. Have been playing for nearly 11 years and play some version of contemporary classical with the use of a loop pedal which allows me to open more avenues as I'm a solo musician. Check me out! -www.youtube.com/acousticmilan

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I predominately play Guitar, both Acoustic and Electric, but I also play Bass, Drums, Piano and Ukulele to a decent-ish standard. I also write and record my own music; I'm halfway through recording my own EP, which I'm producing by myself with help from a family friend.

I also play guitar in a few bands, some more active than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    What genre of music are you looking to write?
    Metal, I'm into Metallica and Dream Theatre at the minute so something along those lines. I am in a band which has just started to write music, but I like more progressive stuff than they do so I want to write music by myself too. Mainly so I can play more interesting bass lines.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Metal, I'm into Metallica and Dream Theatre at the minute so something along those lines. I am in a band which has just started to write music, but I like more progressive stuff than they do so I want to write music by myself too. Mainly so I can play more interesting bass lines.
    Fair enough. Not that I don't like metal, but I'm generally more into Rock and Punk. I've been listening to a lot of Muse lately. I like the fact that although it's pretty progressive as commercial rock goes, it's still pretty easy to listen to.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. Not that I don't like metal, but I'm generally more into Rock and Punk. I've been listening to a lot of Muse lately. I like the fact that although it's pretty progressive as commercial rock goes, it's still pretty easy to listen to.
    I've heard some of Muse's stuff and like what I've heard so far, they've got a good bassist.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I've heard some of Muse's stuff and like what I've heard so far, they've got a good bassist.
    Yeah, their bassist is wicked. The intro to 'Hysteria' is awesome. I played on Guitar for one of my GCSE performances

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is there a rcm thread does anyone know? Ive looked but haven't had much luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do play trombone, i started playing it exactly after finishing my secondary level and i play it in a band.

ReputationRep:
    I play piano since I was like 7, and I've started learning guitar by myself without classes or a teacher.. Does anyone here do ABRSM exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I play the violin. Started 10 years ago and play in 3 orchestras. I only really play classical music.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a musician, but I'm a producer if that counts haha? Here's something I finished yesterday and literally just put on Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/skratchmyitch...ailway-station

ReputationRep:
    I play electric guitar. Currently using a crappy Ibanez Ergodyne till I can afford something less crap. Favourite musicians,
    Red Hot Chili Peppers, Suede, Oasis, Led Zeppelin, Specials, Sterophonics, Blue Oyster Cult, David Bowie...
    Anyone got any tips on how to hammer on without blunting the string? It's killing me right now.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    I play electric guitar. Currently using a crappy Ibanez Ergodyne till I can afford something less crap. Favourite musicians,
    Red Hot Chili Peppers, Suede, Oasis, Led Zeppelin, Specials, Sterophonics, Blue Oyster Cult, David Bowie...
    Anyone got any tips on how to hammer on without blunting the string? It's killing me right now.
    By blunting do you mean dampening? Like, it becomes quieter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Played piano since I was 8 but wasn't too interested in classical at the time so I had a large influence of interest in learning ost's from anime and video games which I liked which pretty much lead to me enjoying all sorts of different soundtracks too. I took GCSE music but ironically, my theory was way off as I had never done any proper grades before but I have had teachers my whole life (strange, I know). I started composing seriously at the start of year 10 and ended up recording about 1227 song ideas or extended pieces of songs that I really enjoyed but whilst they're lovely to listen to, it takes up most of the space on my phone lol I'm now interested in classical music and have recently learnt 'Rondo alla turca' and I'll be playing for all the assemblies at the sixthform/secondary school for the following week so that should be cool. I played guitar for a bit and never really progressed from there. Played recorder in year 3 although the recorder is easy as hell anyway. Played me some glockenspiel for the whole of year 6 which was nice. I was also the lead singer in a rock band that mostly played grunge and punk rock and we did that from year 9 'till year 11. I'm still friends with the band members but we haven't met up together in some time haha

ReputationRep:
    By blunting do you mean dampening? Like, it becomes quieter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, and if I don't press hard enough it cuts the sounds all together. I can usually do it, just this one fiddly bit where you've got one beat to pick, hammer on, pull off really quick. Can't seem to do it fast enough...
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightShroud99)
    Played piano since I was 8 but wasn't too interested in classical at the time so I had a large influence of interest in learning ost's from anime and video games which I liked which pretty much lead to me enjoying all sorts of different soundtracks too. I took GCSE music but ironically, my theory was way off as I had never done any proper grades before but I have had teachers my whole life (strange, I know). I started composing seriously at the start of year 10 and ended up recording about 1227 song ideas or extended pieces of songs that I really enjoyed but whilst they're lovely to listen to, it takes up most of the space on my phone lol I'm now interested in classical music and have recently learnt 'Rondo alla turca' and I'll be playing for all the assemblies at the sixthform/secondary school for the following week so that should be cool. I played guitar for a bit and never really progressed from there. Played recorder in year 3 although the recorder is easy as hell anyway. Played me some glockenspiel for the whole of year 6 which was nice. I was also the lead singer in a rock band that mostly played grunge and punk rock and we did that from year 9 'till year 11. I'm still friends with the band members but we haven't met up together in some time haha
    You should carry on the punk thing! Its not hard to play Punk on guitar either :P Unless you already had enough guitarists

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    Yeah, and if I don't press hard enough it cuts the sounds all together. I can usually do it, just this one fiddly bit where you've got one beat to pick, hammer on, pull off really quick. Can't seem to do it fast enough...
    When I first tried to learn Californication, I struggled with a bit in the verse. My advice I guess is just work on it, and make sure you press hard. When you pull off again, bend it slightly just as you release it so the string vibrates more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 8, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.