The Student Room Group

how much do you brahs curl?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zippity.doodah
what? I lift 12kg on each arm and do sets of 15 at a time, am I weak? :gasp:

12kg is good especially if a starter, try 15kg each hand 8 reps?
Original post by Joshale
12kg is good especially if a starter, try 15kg each hand 8 reps?

yeah I am a starter; I went from 10kg~ to 12.5kg in about a week/1.5 weeks, so at least I can see some progress coming in - hopefully I can keep it up until at least september...
Original post by Ruffiio
This thread is clearly dedicated to curls though...by no means whatsoever does that mean everyone who posted in this thread neglects every other area of their body, where did you come up with that ridiculous assumption? :confused:

Original post by Joshale
Don't give a ****

I bodybuild to be big, I don't really care for strength, more for the look.

I'm genuinely surprised you both thought I was being serious.
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
I'm genuinely surprised you both thought I was being serious.

notsrs
learn it brah
Original post by Motorbiker
Have curled an empty olympic barbell before. in the squat rack. In Weightlifting shoes. and knee sleeves. And wrist wraps.

I do that quite a lot now actually lol. Minus the knee sleeves and shoes, although I do usually use wrist wraps, chalk and elbow sleeves so that's just as bad haha.

As long as the gym is quiet, and there is no one else using the squat rack, I don't see the issue personally.

Here's a great thing to try - grab the olympic barbell without any weight. Try and get to 100 reps without putting the bar down. You can rest, but you must still keep hold of the bar. It's an absolute killer.

Here's some cool tips for the biceps that I've picked up over the years / from some experts. It's nice to change things up once in a while: http://musclesupermarket.com/unique-bicep-training-tips-ideas/
Original post by commandant
I do that quite a lot now actually lol. Minus the knee sleeves and shoes, although I do usually use wrist wraps, chalk and elbow sleeves so that's just as bad haha.

As long as the gym is quiet, and there is no one else using the squat rack, I don't see the issue personally.

Here's a great thing to try - grab the olympic barbell without any weight. Try and get to 100 reps without putting the bar down. You can rest, but you must still keep hold of the bar. It's an absolute killer.

Here's some cool tips for the biceps that I've picked up over the years / from some experts. It's nice to change things up once in a while: http://musclesupermarket.com/unique-bicep-training-tips-ideas/

Nice article.
I do 4 sets of 8 at 14,16,18,20 (Kg). Then once a week I'll do 2 sets of 6 negative reps at 26Kg. Concentrated curls!
Barbell 25kg 3x8
DB curl 9kg 3x12

Don't curl often.
Reply 88
got up to 21KG barbell for 3x8

I might try that today, but not sure I'll be able to do it with the barbell haha.
We'll see how it goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz
I might try that today, but not sure I'll be able to do it with the barbell haha.
We'll see how it goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's very difficult with just the barbell. Perhaps try a fixed barbell instead, 10 or 15kg
Yeah it's very difficult with just the barbell. Perhaps try a fixed barbell instead, 10 or 15kg

Think best i ever got to with the barbell was about 50 reps.

I have done the barbell with one arm for fun before though. For one very hard rep.
Original post by Motorbiker
Think best i ever got to with the barbell was about 50 reps.

I have done the barbell with one arm for fun before though. For one very hard rep.

Haven't had DOMs in biceps for a long time, mainly because I only do one exercise per Bodypart. Anyway, I did seated DB curl with the 10kgs last week, really slow negatives with slightly quicker eccentric with a very nice squeeze at the top and full hang at the bottom. Result - DOMs earlier in the week. Time under tension and superb form really should be used more often.
Reply 93
Haven't had DOMs in biceps for a long time, mainly because I only do one exercise per Bodypart. Anyway, I did seated DB curl with the 10kgs last week, really slow negatives with slightly quicker eccentric with a very nice squeeze at the top and full hang at the bottom. Result - DOMs earlier in the week. Time under tension and superb form really should be used more often.

DOM's dont mean a thing though. Nor does time under tension really.
Original post by Doob

Okay
Original post by Doob

Ah its the misc expert who doesn't even lift
Reply 96
Original post by illusionz
Ah its the misc expert who doesn't even lift

of course i lift, none of what he said is backed by scientific evidence either, just straight up bro-science
Original post by Doob
of course i lift, none of what he said is backed by scientific evidence either, just straight up bro-science

Feel free to carry on with what you're doing, I honestly couldn't care. I'll continue what I'm doing regardless. I train once / twice a week, with one/two exercises per Bodypart. I'm looking the best I ever have.

My advice to anyone is simple. Lift primarily through compound based exercises. Hit these exercises as heavy as you can. Don't comprise form- really try to nail the target muscle. Keep intensity on the set high. Keep reps controlled, with a slow negative, increasing TUT. Go to failure.
Dumbbell curls. 14kg each, pushing up to 16.5kg eventually.

3*10 (and if I can get 12 on that last set I go up next time).

Worth mentioning I go from curl to shoulders on the same set. Feels good
22kg dumbbells

Quick Reply

Latest